11 mpg from my A8

pras1011

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can somtimes smell it in the boot. I have been told that a fuel seal under the carpet on the right is shagged. i will try the sniffing the engine when i start from cold!

I definatley smelt fuel when i opened the drivers door whilst the engine was hot. now i think about, maybe the fan was blowing the petrol smell?

Guest crackdown

11mpg probably isn't too bad if you had the aircon on 20C or lower and in traffic. My RS6 has been returning 8.7 in similar conditions. (It was doing 14mpg before this current hot spell.)Also a drop from 24mpg to 21mpg on motorway driving.

its not a maasive leak so shouldn'y affect it too much/ But its worth getting it done because of its relative ease and the fuel vapour is something that I wouldn't be happy with if it were accumilating in the boot cabin etc. seeing as the battery also lives in the boot UHOH7.GIF

Flippin eck.... EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIF

I'm with Ska on this - our 2.8's suffer on performance - but boy do we make it up on mpg.

I do an 80 mile a day round trip from Surrey to the City everyday (a mix of fast M25, swift A road plus grinding London traffic). Based on the last 5,000ish miles, my DIS is reading 26.8 (Real world, i.e. at the pumps I'm regulary seeing 75 litres delivering approximately 420-430 miles - so somewhere in the 25-26 mpg range I reckon. Aircon is NEVER off.

I'm forever using the tiptronic, rather than the auto - maybe that helps??

But surely the 4.2 can't be THAT juicy? confused.gif

huss

With light tapping on the pedal i am getting about 17mpg and i am on my second tank of optimax. hopefully i will get better mpg with the optimax!

My journey around london is constant stop start. I live 6.5 miles away from work. I would say 5.5 miles of it is pure stop start and the other 1 mile is normal driving but under 30mph. but now the school kids are off on holidays its got much better!!

Even so, the 4.2's do a lot better than 11-12mpg urban. Perhaps it needs a good service; clean out the MAF sensorcheck the oil etc. My car has just been serviced and the engine bay detailed including cleaning out the bugs and feathers from the rad etc. it now feels really responsive; I've switched back to magnatec and swear by the stuff.

The other thing I have noticed is the temperature of the front wings; boy do they get hot. To this end I think in the hot weather the airbox is also very hot I'm thinking of adding extra ducting to draw more cooler air into the box from underneath. IMHO I don't think an induction kit will be any good other than making it sound better because of the amount of heat under the bonnet.

I took a coring bit and drilled 3 x 2" holes in the bottom of my airbox (i live in spain, and need more air!), and although I couldnt say it is more responsive, it feels like it is, sounds like a v8! (people turn around when you open her up!) and it will hit a registered 170mph on the speedo regularly, and still has more go. It often makes me wonder how accurate this speedo is??

[ QUOTE ]

I took a coring bit and drilled 3 x 2" holes in the bottom of my airbox (i live in spain, and need more air!), and although I couldnt say it is more responsive, it feels like it is, sounds like a v8! (people turn around when you open her up!) and it will hit a registered 170mph on the speedo regularly, and still has more go. It often makes me wonder how accurate this speedo is??

[/ QUOTE ]

170 EEK2.GIF was that down hill, with a tail wind and being towed by an de-restricted S8 wink.gif Defo something wrong with the speedo my friend.

I'm gonna see if I can tap some free steam air from the air vent at the bottom of the bumper, next to where the aletrnator gets its cooling from 169144-ok.gif