Where do you buy your number plates?

Sponge

I took off the little black strip with the dealer's name on it under my number plates (you can just about make it out in my sig below). They now look too high, as they were attached taking into account the extra height of the plate and name strip. So, I'm thinking of getting some new ones. It means I can also get rid of the dealers name from the plate and maybe add something else, like www.tyresmoke.net 169144-ok.gif

What are your thoughts on things like borders and flags? For all other purposes, they will be totally legal plates. No chavvy fonts here!

Any plate ordered over the Internet will not be a legal plate. The law regarding number plates became much stricter from 1 September 2001. Any legal plate supplier will have to see proof of ownership of the vehicle and photo identification of the owner - the V5 and a photocard driving licence are the most obvious. Adding 'www.tyresmoke.net' will, in itself, render the plate illegal!

A summary of the current regulations can be found on the DVLA site.

There is a register of number plate suppliers, which can be searched here.

Added: I went through all this when obtaining new plates for the MR2 last weekend, adding the Euro flag in preparation for my trip to Belgium. I ended up going to Halfords.

The regulations only apply to number plate suppliers based in the UK. Fancyplates are based in Ireland, so the requirement for showing ID etc. is not relevant to them. Their plates are legal if you order standard spec ones.

[ QUOTE ]

Any plates ordered through our fancyplates section are for off-road use only, i.e. track days, shows etc. They are designed for this purpose only and may not fully comply with requirements for use on public roads. We accept no responsibility when using any of the plates from our fancyplates section on public roads. Number plates ordered from our Standard UK Plates section are manufactured to BS AU 145d standard and comply with UK legislation

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst not 100% legal I have bought plates from EU Tags, they are pressed metal and last far longer than the plastic ones we get in the UK. Whilst not UK font, they are German font, they look very similar and I think that the police see far worse examples on the roads to worry. In any case the plastic versions are in the boot if they want them changed.

I make my plates myself at work. I had to remove the company logo on the last one I made as it didn't fit my German spec plinth anyway (the German spec plinth makes the UK plate approximately 1cmX1cm smaller smile.gif

878597-mirror-640.jpg

If I ever want any special making (like the one I had made for the American plinth once) then I use www.craigsplates.co.uk

Either way, I don't think any of you would actually believe the margin on Numher plates! shocked.gif