Shell Employee Of The Month...

RedRobin

Stopped to top up with Optimax on my way to the TSN meet at Castle Combe. Go to pay and present my red Optimax card and I get the response: "You must buy an awful lot of Optimax to get given one of these", said rather disdainfully.

I reply (proudly) "I don't use any fuel other than Optimax" expecting a 'Good for you, mate' response but....

He looks over to my shiny clean throbbin' red GTI [the fastest car in the world wink.gif] and its quad pipes and says: "I've got a 875bhp Chevvy and I wouldn't use Optimax". I'm then thinking Er??? confused.gif

"So, you don't rate Optimax then?" I say.

"Nope, and neither do all the racing boys that I know. They use 95RON and have Pinking Meters" he says.

I say "I don't race but I'm very surprised to hear you say that. Do you know that 98RON is recommended by VW for the FSI engine? And would Shell be happy to hear you trashing Optimax's reputation".

"I don't work for Shell!!" he retorts.

Okay, but he's the only guy I've ever seen working at that particular Shell station.

This wasn't an argument but I left thinking what a plonker and what a bad representative for Shell.

Worst Shell Representative Of The Year methinks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure he didn't say 87.5BHP 'Chavvy'? Maybe his 'racing' buddies are all max powered corsa and nova drivers? grin.gif

I notice a real difference in how well the engine responds with Optimax and Ultimate compared to 95 ron so I'll stick to it for now thanks 169144-ok.gif

Snob? Moi? You bet your ass........ grin.gif

I would imagine big block chevy's wouldn't see as an appreciable difference in performance as our more high tech engines, therefore he probably could get away with 95RON. Isn't that the standard in the US of A anyway or 91 RON?

[ QUOTE ]

I would imagine big block chevy's wouldn't see as an appreciable difference in performance as our more high tech engines, therefore he probably could get away with 95RON. Isn't that the standard in the US of A anyway or 91 RON?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutly.. RON is only important in fuel injected, ECU controlled motors. And the finer the fuel spray, the more important the quality of the fuel.

....Which all goes to show that the guy (not a youngster) knows very little about cars. No excuse for him actually being derogatory about Optimax to customers, especially as he has a contract of some description with Shell.

Does anyone know what the general contract structure is with Shell stations ? Franchise ? Clearly station people aren't trained to any high standards. Having said that, I know one Shell station (25 miles away) which is extremely busy but where they actually answer the phone promptly and always know their Optimax stock situation and all the staff are good-humoured and courteous 24/7. No prizes for guessing which station I will travel the extra 10 miles for. Plus it's usually about 3p per litre cheaper than the one I'm complaining about.

Shell own some stations themselves, though not that many until recently. They have a nightmareish time managing their own sites.

The vast majority of the rest its Shell / BP etc. who pay or at least used to to get people to supply their petrol. However recently they have turned away from this and are now charging huge amounts for people to continue supply with Shell. They are a terible terrible company to work with from a petrol supply point of view, if they have supply issues and your an independant its a case of tough, they are last in the queue to be sorted out. I know of some garages who have had to get fuel from elsewhere just to keep up supply for the local community due to Shell being so poor at times of crisis. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

beerchug.gif for the link, Dave. I'm not a surfing enthusiast (much prefer flames to water) but I've got major respect for you guys and can understand the buzz (or whatever you call it)....The Natural High?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutly!!!.. it's man against the elements type thing.

The sea is a living thing, it can be as calm as you like, but when it blows up it can be one of the most dangerous places on earth!

[ QUOTE ]

Absolutly!!!.. it's man against the elements type thing.

The sea is a living thing, it can be as calm as you like, but when it blows up it can be one of the most dangerous places on earth!

[/ QUOTE ]

....Had a house literally on the cliff at West Bay, Chesil Beach before divorce took it away. Views of 15 miles to Portland on the clear days. Also I used to fish off the beach all day and some nights, Winter and Summer, and it's mostly why I ain't interested in chancing it in those waves! I won't even swim on a calm day on Chesil.

Enjoy 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What's a red Optimax card? How do you get one?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Buy a lot of Optimax!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that easy. You have to buy a LOT of Optimax! ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I think I would rather not know how much Optimax I have bought! But I've only used it for the year I have had my GTI. 16K miles at 30mpg overall if anyone is interested!

I average £40 a week of Optimax which is about 40 litres nowadays plus the occasional trip to Birmingham or London.

So 40 litres x 51 weeks + two 1.5 tanks (90 litres) for Birmingham trip every month...... OK that scares me now! EEK2.GIF