Simonl

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

About 6 months ago a dealer told me that DSG and Sportback may come 1 year after launch.

[/ QUOTE ]

....At which time, if I am thinking of changing my GTI, I'll be looking at the Mitsi Evo-X - DSG-equivalent/AWD/2.0T/4-door/4 Recaros and very funky and not any A3/S3.

Looks too much like the S-line apart from the different grill.

I see the inside is like the MKIV golf with the heater controls behind the gear stick.

That was one thing I liked when I moved to the MKV from the MKIV, when you are in fifth or third you don’t have to reach round the gear stick to adjust the heater.

Mind you I have DSG so it definitely isn't a problem any more

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, but would I be hijacking this thread if I give more info?

Here's a link for you: web page - Look under the "Powertrain" heading further down the page.

[/ QUOTE ] interesting, i wonder how much like that it will look when they go to production?

also i wonder where the idea for a black bit in the grille at the front came from? notworthy.gif

From an S3 thread.

888433-newa3.jpg

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=26417

&

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/gcf/newsID/2060801.007/audi/new-audi-s3-revealed

main points:

• New A3 range performance flagship expected to open for UK ordering in early September – first UK customer deliveries scheduled for January 2007

• Estimated UK OTR price approximately £27,000

• Specially developed 2.0 Turbo FSI engine features alloy head, new turbo charger with enlarged turbine and compressor rotor and modified intercooler. 265PS@6,000rpm, 350Nm from 2,500rpm to 5,000rpm

• 0-62mph in 5.7 seconds, top speed limited to 155mph, combined mpg 25.7

• Six-speed manual gearbox with reduced shift travel, quattro four-wheel-drive

• Sports suspension incorporating greater aluminium content and revised spring and damper settings, power steering settings modified for optimum feel and response

• Exclusive 18-inch alloy wheels and S quattro body styling with trademark aluminium-look door mirror surrounds, enhanced sports interior

http://www.car.kak.net/Article5429.html

[ QUOTE ]

....Perhaps they have different expectations based on their current S3 experiences.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fast hatch world has moved on so much since the last S3 was launched. It was leagues ahead of anything else at the time.

Remember, back then, most hot hatches were around teh 150 -160bhp mark and that was considered a lot then.

Along came the S3 with 210bhp, the ability to put it down everywhere and in any condition, 6 gears, build quality and an interior that was out of this world by the standards of the time. I love my S3 and still aren't bored of it after 5 years - which is incredible.

Spec-wise, I got that performance along with goodies that are still resepectable today:

6 Speed

Quattro

Electric, heated leather Recaros

DIS

Cruise

Parking Sensors

ESP

Climate

6 airbags etc

Remember the S3 was launched in '99 when the Gti (that wasn't a Gti) had 150bhp.

Loads of the car was bespoke: new turbo, twin intercoolers, flared arches etc etc etc

It was a car that stood out and whilst some say it has dull handling its fantastically capable. With 265bhp under the bonnet its fecking quick (for a hatch) and hugely capable.

It'll be a sad day when I sell it.

Hopefully, the new S3 may deliver some further outstanding features equivalent to the last version. Your enthusiasm for your S3, Mollox, is the same as for those of us who love our GTI and it's always great that any car can inspire such enthusiasm.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating - As they say - So roll on launch and feedback from real-world test drives. Meanwhile though, I'm not one of those tempted.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

also i wonder where the idea for a black bit in the grille at the front came from? notworthy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair BLOCK, Audi facelifted the A6 with the single framed grille long before the GTI came out, it was VW that stole it.

Red- you'll need a mortgage to run an EVO mate, servicing every 5-6k!!! crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Its funny, it seems most of us like the new S3, but looking on audi S3 forums current S3 owners dont.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true, and also the current A3 owners.

Maybe they're just annoyed as it's not different enough to their S Lines (which is fair enough)

Its not bad- I've been a fan of Audi for a while, though I'm not too keen on the 5 door a3.

I think the single frame grille is looking better on most of the models- initially the new grilles just looked like they were stuck on- which they were, rather than being part of the design language right from the start. I think the A4 still suffers from the stuck on nose look.

That said the S3 doesn't win me - only a 3 door and Audi's don't cope very well with our rougher roads. Still the GTI for me ..at least for the moment.

[ QUOTE ]

Audi's don't cope very well with our rougher roads. Still the GTI for me ..at least for the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I rode in an Audi S4 yesterday for several hundred miles - Stupendous V8 quattro performance notworthy.gif but absolutely shocking and very uncomfortably harsh ride on anything other than good road surfaces.

"Prices starting at just under £30,000" OUCH!

A 5 door would be good, but it will never handle as good as a GTI. Extra weight of the 4WD will also compromise performance.

The claim is 0-60 in 5.7 sec but I find this difficult to believe as the BHP will be 265 and 350Nm of torque. If this is true, it certainly would be a car to consider in 5 door form