AMD fitting RS4 brakes to A4 / S4

P_G

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I noticed that this afternoon P_G_. The expense of the brakes AND 19" wheels will probably be too much for me right now. Might just go ahead and paint my calipers black and get some RS decals... No one will ever know...not ROLLEY~14.GIF

Still if they can fit them behind 18" Avus (which I doubt) I might be tempted.

[ QUOTE ]

Odd, because if you have a look at AMD's website they have a cut away diagram of the RS4 disk and caliper behind the S4 Avus wheel!

Numpty's! smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite sure the graphic is meant to be for guidance purposes only!! Does your reference to "numpty's" lead one to assume you have purchased wears or service from them before and not been entirely satisfied? coffee.gif

That would be correct, Spotec centre caps to be precise. Not cheap either and when they arrived one is super shiney and new and the other one looks like it could be used of the Cillit Bang Advert instead of the penny test.

Brand new my arse! smashfreakB.gif

That and the diagram that leads one to believe you can get RS4 disks and calipers behind Avus alloys.

[ QUOTE ]

Make sure you've got 19" wheels though. They won't fit on 18's apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do fit behind 18" wheels. A popular install on B5 S4's and RS4's.

DSGWAGEN on ebay can do a setup for a good price and all his parts come with 2 year warranty.

[ QUOTE ]

That's odd because I'm sure that Scotty looked into it and found that they wouldn't fit his 18" wheels. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember when Nelson was potentially flogging these as a group buy that he also said they wouldn't fit behind standard S4 alloys.

However the RS4 disks are 365mm (14.5"), the caliper must only be another 1-1.5" so it would be a tight fit but possible?

They won't fit behind standard B5 S4 wheels which are 17's...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

That's odd because I'm sure that Scotty looked into it and found that they wouldn't fit his 18" wheels. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember when Nelson was potentially flogging these as a group buy that he also said they wouldn't fit behind standard S4 alloys.

However the RS4 disks are 365mm (14.5"), the caliper must only be another 1-1.5" so it would be a tight fit but possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the B6 variant we were asking about in relation the the RS4 disk upgrade, but who knows? Might have to drop AMD a line and ask.

I wonder whether the master cylinder is the same in S4 and Rs4 or whether the S4 can cope with a six pot?

Best you call AMD, they will no doubt explain that in order to fit any 365mm big brakes you will need pre requisite 19 inch alloys with associated inside clearences as this particular RS4 brake kit will not AFAIK fit within standard 18 inch AVUS alloys......NOTE: The OEM B6 A4 master cylinder will not cater for the 8 pot increased demand, however the B6 S4 master cylinder is the same as the B7 RS4 and will therefore be compatible 169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Best you call AMD, they will no doubt explain that in order to fit any 365mm big brakes you will need pre requisite 19 inch alloys with associated inside clearences as this particular RS4 brake kit will not AFAIK fit within standard 18 inch AVUS alloys......additionally, the standard B6 A4 master cylinder will not cater for the 8 pot increased demand, however the B6 S4 master cylinder is the same as the B7 RS4 and will therfore be compatible 169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know for a fact that one of the guys on RS246.com has RS6 calipers and RS6 discs fitted behind B6 18" Avus wheels. The calipers are mounted on special brackets to be able to use the RS6 discs. This may or may not give him more clearance (I think the RS6 discs are more inset) but also gives the advantage of using the better RS6 disc. The new RS4 uses the same disc on the left or right of the car so are not properly directional. Give MRC tuning a call as they have done this conversion many times.

169144-ok.gif "(I think the RS6 discs are more inset) "

Twas my understanding too when I was considering the big brakes. The clearence quoted at the time was of a negligable measurement, around 3mm to 4 mm, however being that the RS4 big brake fitting on the B6 S4 was untried at the time of my enquiries the experts were quoting the need for big brake accomodating wheels because the RS4 calipers do indeed sit prouder than the RS6's (fronts). 169144-ok.gif

Additionally too you would require longer brake lines to fit the RS4's (fronts, which are actually modelled on Brembo's).

You will undoubtedly require custom 19" alloys to fit the 365mm rotors up front as they are way too big for the 18" OEM's....The Audizine forums are full of guidelines and pitfalls on this very subject 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'll ask when I am down there on the 9th of September but I think I may go back to my original plan.... sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to keep shtum or wear a disguise P_G??

Odd, because if you have a look at AMD's website they have a cut away diagram of the RS4 disk and caliper behind the S4 Avus wheel!

Numpty's smashfreakB.gif

jump.gif169144-ok.gif