Used S4 Values

Tizzy

Just had a friend in the trade run a valuation on my car using the CAP database. Bit worring really as it came out at P/x value of about £15.5K and retail of £18K - this for a 2003 53 with 45K miles. She said the DVD Sat-Nav & leather made no real difference, which is contrary to what I've heard from Audi dealers. Looking on the Glass's valuation site (on the Vauxhall website) it gives a P/ex value of £19K for the car. And Audi dealers are still retailing S4's of mine's age for up to £24K - so what do we think it's really worth?

I had heard that Nav Plus etc doesn't make a huge amount of difference (possibly £500) to the value of an S4.

As for value, who knows, it seems to be a lottery dependent on who you talk to, even for my 2004 '54' plate.

All I know is that I will be keeping mine for at least four years or until the B8 S4 turns up whichever comes first to offset the depreciation against what finance I have on it currently.

[ QUOTE ]

Glass's (the book itself) says £19,500 trade and £22k retail. P/X expect to get offered around 18k tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should the P/X be less than the trade figure? This would be what I would want on the car plus more as a discount on the car I was buying.

e.g. Car priced at £29.5K on forecourt I would be asking for the £19.5K for mine plus at least £1K off the car so in effect £20.5K P/X, cost to change £9K.

Having said that I would have also phoned a couple of indies first to get a cash price on the car so I would know how hard to push and in case the book price was off for some reason. Just make sure you don't choose the same one your dealer might to get your car underwritten.

[ QUOTE ]

Ahh right. I haven't seen one without either full leather of some description or leather/alcantara.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has cloth / leather combination. Was put off full leather by my S3 as it looked like patent leather after a few years regardless of how well I maintained it.

I would imagine that given the price of fuel that prices for big engines cars are taking a dip at the moment.

Mines an 03 with over 50k on the clock, a friend of mine who owns a larger second hand garage reckons it would retail just below £20k at the moment. Haven't ever really worried about how much mine is worth but always about the cost to change.

I don't think optional extras add a massive amount, my last car was a 2002 A4 2.5tdi sport quattro which had every extra going, sat nav, heated seats front and rear, 6 disc CD, bose etc etc. I saw the original sales invoice and it included £13k of extras, was just under £37k brand new. When I traded it in I think the garage reckoned all the extras were worth about a grand, just glad I screwed them down on the price of the S4.

When I was buying new cars and even when I preferred alcantara to leather, dealer would always talk me into certain options to help resale. Realise now I was a mug because if leather, say, adds £500 used but cost you £1K new and you didn't even want it then what is the point. Same with Sat-Nav which fortunately for me I never got talked into new. If a dealer says to me he would offer me more than £1K more for my S4 if it had Sat-Nav I know I can get it fitted for that.

I just bought a year old Volvo S60 T5 (waits for serious flack) and it was loaded with £8K of extras which made it worth exactly zero more than the other S60s I looked at. Made my decision a lot easier though. The Volvo had depreciated by £16K in 14 months and had less than 3K miles on it seeing depreciation of over £5.50 a mile!!

mine was booking at about 22k 04 plate with 36k.

Dont forget that a trader or dealer will rarely pay more than the trade value for the car and use over allowance on the car you are buying another from them so you get the impression you are getting more for your car; really they have more movement on the new vehicle.