why priviledge so cheap...

skifly

ok - just got a quote from priviledge for insurance for a 26 y/o with 5 yrs no claims in SE london on a gti. No points / accidents etc...

came in at around £640 with a £650 excess. to bring it down to £500 excess it puts premium to £700. The renewal from NU was closer to 2 or 3 times the premium!

So what are priviledge like and anyone have any tips as have considered milltek's which would mean a modded car - so dont want a massive price hike!

I checked several companies back in May after deciding I wasn't going to renew with DirectLine.

Prudential, Priviledge and Admiral were all within £4 of each other on my car. Tried them on some other cars and the gap sometimes went up to about £100, but they were usually pretty close.

Norwich Union's website, for no obvious reason, wasn't interested in quoting me on... well, just about anything, actually.

Still, they did better than any of the websites like Confused or Esure, etc. They were all giving me prices of £1800 when the real companies were all under £500!

Btw, I went with Prudential and they've been fine.

I am with Privilege at the moment, and although the price for my GTI was very good the renewal price (now that I have the S4) is significantly higher than others (notable DirectLine, Elephant and (oddly) Admiral). Just did the Admiral multi-car quote for my car and Mrs S_D's Ka and it is <1K which stunned me!

Different insurers for different cars and people. Privilege were one of the highest, higher than my renewal and then said they'd quote me £1 cheaper then my renewal when I told them what is was.

Not mod friendly either, found somewhere £260 cheaper than them (25%)

[ QUOTE ]

Different insurers for different cars and people. Privilege were one of the highest, higher than my renewal and then said they'd quote me £1 cheaper then my renewal when I told them what is was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same for me, they were dearer than a few other quotes I got , and I went with DL as they are Mod friendly and the cheapest of them all for me + my car!

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good evening son of Sir Stanley Unwin... 169144-ok.giftongue.gif

Privilege, the cheapest I've found with 2 claims in the last 5 years and a TT99 (Totting up resulting in a 3mth ban). Claims dept were fine. The two claims being: 4 panel re-spray after a keying and a new bonnet and hardtop re-spray for the M3 after a whacking great lump of metal fell off the back of a lorry on the M6.

Privilege have certainly changed a few things in the last few years. Once upon a time, normal cover included properly managed trackdays! And mods didn't add to your premium if they added less than 10% or so to performance.

These days no trackday cover, extra for Europe (and hire car and legal cover), and prohibitive additions to premium for any mods (on my last Impreza I paid more to insure my dealer fit Prodrive exhaust than I paid for the exhaust... SAUER0421.GIF ).