Company car recomendation for Vectra diesel money?

m3dan

The powers that be have just threatened to by me a company car after I threw my toys out of the pram. They've loosly suggested a Vectra Diesel. Obviously I would rather cut off my man hood with a rusty bread knife than smoke about in a Vectra 1.9TDi having had one as a hire car a few weeks ago.

So having checked out how much they are and being fairly shocked to find out that they are a mere £16K, what else decent is there for the money?

I don't do many miles, and strictly speaking, don't really need a company vehicle, but it'll be much more sensible than running the Elise in the winter months.

Size, as they say is not important, I suppose what I'm after is something that can handle the odd long haul motorway journey, classy enough to meet clients, nippy, and fun for the times when I'm not just trudging to work through the traffic in town.

If it's a need car and not a perk (and you give a stuff about tax) and your budget is around £16k then not that many.:(

I guess you are looking at a Mondeo/Accord/Passat/Mazda6 - unless you go a bit smaller and get Golf/Astra size with a few spangles. I would imagine that all of these are decent without lighting any fires.

If you can't take the money you could always say stuff it and get something like a Focus ST (or Leon FR???) 169144-ok.gif

It also depends on whether they are looking at purchase cost (list price), discounted purchase price, or monthly leasing, contract hire costs. If it is list price then I reckon Golf/A3 might be your best bet. Contract hire costs meant that you have a far greater choice of cars as their residual value comes into play and Vectras are awful for that of course.

Given the choices seen above there isnt one that will be a better car than the Vectra IMO - we always have a Vauxhall estate in the family as the load carrier, tow car, etc and we have only ever had a problem with one car.

Granted they might not feel as well built as a VW, but we have never had MAF failures, coil pack failures, fans failing, temp sensors, water pumps, and other regular VW fail items.

I have to agree with Shao - certainly if you were doing a reasonable amount of company miles I'd be tempted to stick with the Vectra. It isn't a bad car at all - it does exactly what it says on the tin. Our company uses Vauxhalls for company cars so I have several colleagues with on and they're all perfectly happy with it.

Alternatively, as you said you wouldn't be doing big miles, I'd say a higher spec Astra diesel. The 3 door is one of the best looking hatches out there IMO.

If your company is willing to look at different brands, then the obvious alternative is a Mondeo (or maybe Fekkus?), or as others have suggested - a Leon.

Of course, if you'd rather "cut off your manhood with a rusty breadknife" than drive a Vectra, then maybe a poverty spec 118d is the car for you... tongue.gifgrin.gif

It depends on the space you need. If it isn't a big issue then something like a Focus, Golf, Leon or Astra would be much better than a Vectra (imo). If you want more space then I couldn't recommend the Passat highly enough, just make sure you end up with the 2.0TDI engine. It's pretty good value as well, even when compared to cars like the Mondeo and Vectra.

A surprising amount of backing for the Vectra.

I'm liking the idea of finding out more about the Seat, it never crossed my mind before. I'll have to have a look at some this weekend. I'll also check out the Golf as they seem to tick all the right boxes on my spec list.

Cheers for the responses. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

A mere £16K, what else decent is there for the money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cannot believe nobody has mentioned this - there is only one family diesel I would consider on a 16k has-to-be-new hatchback.

Skoda Octavia TDI 2.0 PD 140

For 16k you'll get a mid-range Ambiente. Whilst not being loaded, you still get alloys, air, 4 electric windows, heated electric mirrors, 6CD - lots of which is missed off Audi A4s that cost another 5k.

The only catch is you have to pay tax on your options, but the dealer might be able to throw in metallic paint so you don't break the 16k limit.

Ian

Dan,

Now they have stumped up and said you can have a company car, is there anyway you can convert this into a pay rise or "Company car allowance". Given you don't do many miles, then you are not going to get a great deal of benefit for the large hit you will get on your tax bill.

If you can get them to pay you some £ instead, then just buy a cheap car for the winter months; OK, you have to Tax, insure and service it. Just an idea that might be worth exploring.

Assuming it makes sence to you in £ terms, it might also be cheaper for the company too.

If it must be a car, then what about:

Polo GTI with a few toys

Fabia vRS

Not sure on pricing mind...