gizze

Have you ever driven above 90mph?  

1. 1. Have you ever driven above 90mph?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a call saying that I have definitely got one coming with Zelda.

But then realised that all my Gamecube stuff is US so would prefer an NTSC machine, but too late now. Just been playing through WindWaker to get myself ready, great game but never sure what I am meant to be doing next, never had that problem with any of the other Zelda games, but I am going to stick it out this time and complete it.

Well I have no idea about the titles on the Wii, but I imagine it to be a bit more kiddy, like N64. I also dont like the idea of the controllers. However, come launch, if its good, im sure I will add it to the collection with the PS3 and X360. I take it, its high def?

[ QUOTE ]

Well I have no idea about the titles on the Wii, but I imagine it to be a bit more kiddy, like N64. I also dont like the idea of the controllers. However, come launch, if its good, im sure I will add it to the collection with the PS3 and X360. I take it, its high def?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, 480p.

So what though?

I think Nintendo are being very smart, build em cheap, sell them at a small profit but don't get drawn into the high-def pissing contest.

Instead they are concentrate on making it fun and a unique gaming experience, something new rather than the same old PSX/PS2/XBox games rehashed at a higher resolution.

Hoping to draw in those who aren't normally in to gaming and I think it'll work. At a small house warming party the other weekend my friend had a PS2, XBox 360, Gamecube, and everything down to a Spectrum, and we were sat around playing Donkey Konga, and the girls all liked it too, as it was simple, fun and a bit different.

As I've said before, this is exactly why I have a DS Lite but sold my PSP. The DS Lite is surprisingly old hat hardware wise, but the battery life annihilates the PSP and the games are more fun.

[ QUOTE ]

Well I think they should release it later when the HD technology is in more homes and therefore much cheaper to make. It seems silly not having HD in this day and age. Its new, but its already left behind...

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get it do you? smashfreakB.gif

Besides, releasing it later would be utter suicide.

Its not aimed at people who sit there pouring over the hardware specs and choosing what to buy based on what console has more cores, or can do native 1080p, or whatever.

Its aimed at people who have no idea what all that crap means, and want something cheap and fun!

A console could be powered by god itself but if the Wii is more FUN then what the feck does it matter how the games look? Are you that superficial?

Personally I find it very hard to get excited about the PS3, I've had a XBox 360 and sold it because it couldn't offer anything beyond what my PC could do (and compare Oblivion on 360 against my PC, or your new Alienware one and the 360 comes off looking years behind), but I'll probably get a Wii at some point because it offers an experience that my PC cannot.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Well I think they should release it later when the HD technology is in more homes and therefore much cheaper to make. It seems silly not having HD in this day and age. Its new, but its already left behind...

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get it do you? smashfreakB.gif

Besides, releasing it later would be utter suicide.

Its not aimed at people who sit there pouring over the hardware specs and choosing what to buy based on what console has more cores, or can do native 1080p, or whatever.

Its aimed at people who have no idea what all that crap means, and want something cheap and fun!

A console could be powered by god itself but if the Wii is more FUN then what the feck does it matter how the games look? Are you that superficial?

Personally I find it very hard to get excited about the PS3, I've had a XBox 360 and sold it because it couldn't offer anything beyond what my PC could do (and compare Oblivion on 360 against my PC, or your new Alienware one and the 360 comes off looking years behind), but I'll probably get a Wii at some point because it offers an experience that my PC cannot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I see where you are coming from, but why cant it offer something different and be high def? When all channels are high def im still going to love the new Spielberg on it, but im equally going to love Family Guy HD. Anyway if it offers something that special, why does it matter it comes out later?

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, I see where you are coming from, but why cant it offer something different and be high def? When all channels are high def im still going to love the new Spielberg on it, but im equally going to love Family Guy HD. Anyway if it offers something that special, why does it matter it comes out later?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because creating a 'high-def' image is a lot of processing work.

720p is more than twice the total number of pixels of 480p, and 1080p is double that again.

So to move from 480p to 720p you have to have a GPU capable of rendering double the number of pixels (and applying any shader effects, reflection mapping, etc), so you can up the clock speed (which will increase the heat output and reduce yields as fewer chips will make the grade, pushing up the price) or have a more complex chip (more heat, and a larger die size meaning fewer chips to a wafer, reducing yields as a greater chance of a defect in a die and increasing the cost).

So you have your more powerful GPU core but now you need to feed it with data. To appear crisp you'll need a higher resolution texture, so you'll need more memory (more money, more heat) and more memory bandwidth (higher clock speed, more money, more heat, see a pattern here?).

So now you've substancially increased the cost of the system (in the case of Sony and Microsoft it costs more to build than you sell it for, yes even the incredibly expensive PS3!), you have to make the thing bigger to fit in the larger heatsinks (again more cost) noisy fans (£££) to keep the internals from melting the casing and need a more powerful power supply to drive it all (more money, more heat and bulky, just look at the XBox 360's).

[ QUOTE ]

Besides, HD isnt about graphics... its about clarity... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smashfreakB.gifopenfire.gifSAUER0421.GIFyelrotflmao.gifiamwithstupid.gif

Also worth mentioning that because its a simpler system (Single core, no worries about expensive multi-threaded debugging to the same degree as other systems. The fact its NOT HD means art content should be cheaper to generate, etc) the games should be cheaper too.

I almost cried at paying £50 for DOA4 (especially since DOA2 on my Dreamcast is better!)

Well im not going to argue in a language i dont understand. I do however find it hard to believe Sony and Microsoft are selling these machines as a loss. That makes no sense, even if games are going for £40-50 a pop.

Ok whatever, I can understand you are saying it is far more expensive to make the Wii in HD. But isnt the sad fact of the matter that Nintendo will be vastly hindering the shelf life of this console if they dont add HD? How much more expensive will it be? £50? £100? I wont be interested in it with out HD and my guess is there will be a lot of people who wont be either... especially when the PS3 comes out and the market is both more saturated and competitive.

IMO, if Nintendo cant make a proper console, they should stick to making games on the Playbox. Then you get the unique blend of Cartoon graphics, oriental music and old school gameplay.

Xbox 360 costs third more to make than it sells for

Component cost of Playstation 3 $725-905

Microsoft and Sony make there money through software licensing (for every game sold they'll get a couple dollars) and other items (controllers, memory cards, faceplates).

Why do you think they are all looking to sell content online (HD movies coming to XBox Live soon, XBox Live Arcade, game add-ons, etc).

All these items help claw back the loss made on the console itself.

Around the launch of the PS2 in Japan Sony actually got very worried as people were buying the console and maybe 1 game, but DVD sales skyrocketed as it was cheaper than most DVD players at the time! The console selling out actually hurts them if everyone doesn't buy a game or two, a couple extra controllers, t-shirt, etc.

Why do you think the PS2 had 2 controller ports when the N64 and Dreamcast had 4? So Sony could make money selling you a multi-tap....

Nintendos policy is simple. Not everyone has a HD obsession, they are aiming to sell to people who don't normally play games, who don't feel intimidated by the controller as its like using a remote control.

Who like playing tennis by 'hitting' the ball rather than pressing a button.

They want to expand the market and concentrating on making the system more friendly to an outsider who likes the low price and may only buy one or two games, and selling it at a profit, means that if they pull it off they could do VERY well out of it.

Don't like it? Don't buy it! But they are banking on the fact that a lot of people will, and it'll sure look more appealing to parents doing the christmas shopping to buy the £199 console with family friendly games that anyone can enjoy than the £300 one with Grand Theft Auto....

Thorburn, I am afraid he is right, most of the general public will think the same as him too. Nearly all my mates bought the PS2 or Xbox over the Gamecube, and they have a pile of games that they played for a few days and then left, they have that wow factor when you boot it up, but hardly any of the games keep them hooked. I have recemtly got a few of them to buy Gamecubes with copies of Mario, Zelda, Waverace, Donkey Konga, Pikmin etc. etc. and they have all loved them and they have finished the games too, which has got to tell you something.

Don't get me wrong I love the PS2, but the games I really like are Singstar, Karaoke Revolution, ICO, R-Type Final, Gradius IV, Star Ocean etc. I hate tthings like Vice City and all that tosh, repetative boring nonsense to me.

I also Love great graphics, but I will take gameplay everytime, once you have gone wow for 5 minutes there has to be a game there to keep it in your system. 169144-ok.gif

Also, the cost of building a console comes down over its life.

Open up a launch day PSX and compare it to one of the end of the line ones (before it transitioned to the smaller PS One) and its almost unrecognisable.

4 chips are replaced by 1 integrated into a single piece of silicon as the process technology they are manufactured on is transitioned to a smaller scale, meaning the chips cost less to produce and the PCB can be made fractionally smaller, saving a little more money. If this means one less screw can be used to put it all together then they will.

This is carried out through out the entire console and if theres a saving to be made they'll make it.

The PSX went through something like 7 or 8 revisions before becoming the PS One, and the PS2 did the same.

Likewise the CPU in the XBox 360 will be shrunk from the 90nm silicon process to 65nm at some point, I won't buy another until that has happened as it'll reduce the heat output, which in turn will bring down the noise from the fans.

[ QUOTE ]

Thorburn, I am afraid he is right, most of the general public will think the same as him too. Nearly all my mates bought the PS2 or Xbox over the Gamecube, and they have a pile of games that they played for a few days and then left, they have that wow factor when you boot it up, but hardly any of the games keep them hooked. I have recemtly got a few of them to buy Gamecubes with copies of Mario, Zelda, Waverace, Donkey Konga, Pikmin etc. etc. and they have all loved them and they have finished the games too, which has got to tell you something.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said before though, these are people who would have owned an N64 or Playstation or other consoles before it. These aren't the people Nintendo are chasing.

Play sent me the following email yesterday

[ QUOTE ]

Dear Customer,

Due to a European shortage of the Nintendo Wii Consoles, we regret to inform you that Play.com will be unable to supply your pre-ordered Nintendo Wii at launch. As an Official distributor of Nintendo products we are guaranteed more stock before Christmas, but Nintendo have informed us, along with all other official Nintendo retailers, that the console will not be freely available until next year.

All pre-orders will be fulfilled on a first come, first served basis and we will fulfil your order as soon as we can.

If you no longer wish to keep your pre-order with Play.com please login to your account and remove the item from your Outstanding Orders.

Kind Regards

PLAY.COM

[/ QUOTE ]

Might cancel it as I was having second thoughts anyway and get a 360.