Plasma or LCD?

Ari

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I good LCD correctly configured with a matched digital resolution video source will beat a plasma hands down every time.

However the normal video sources dont match the new wide screens apart from rare occations. And under such circumstances I believe the plasma has the edge - LCD really doesnt interpolate very will.

Interpolation is also an issue regarding the two new widescreen resolution standards and will be the reason I wont be picking up a new screen for another year (unless the current one goes boom!). Playing a 1080 res video on a 1280 screen or vis-versa really shows the flaws in the standards imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atomic, I respectfully disagree! Have you actually set up an LCD and a Plasma yourself, and compared? I have, and like others have mentioned on here, LCD simply does not match, and certainly does not beat, Plasma. if you're talking about highly exagerated contrast, and heavily saturated images, then yes, it will look 'better.' But in the sense of what the director intended you to see, Plasma, as yet, simply cannot be beaten.

I'm not sure what you mean about interpolation being an 'issue'? There's little point at playing anything 1080p at present - with current broadcasts, 720 is about the best you'll see.

[ QUOTE ]

So if you guys had £3000 to spend on what-ever TV you wanted, what would you go for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have an ex-demo B&O Beovision 6. Why? Are you offereing to give someone £3 grand Dave? grin.gifwink.gif169144-ok.gif

If it were my own money Panasonic Viera is what I'd have. I would have a 42" but the wife says size isn't everything and won't take more than 37" crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I thought Sky had dropped 720 broadcasts in favour of 1080?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they offer both 720p and 1080i as they effectively use the same resolution. Would have to check when I get home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately read an article saying they were to drop 720. crazy.gif

Maybe they've changed their minds.

We got a NEC 40" Plasma in work to enable us to see a user screen outside a vehicle.

After one day the screen image was already burnt onto the display shocked.gif

After leaving it off overnight most of it seemed to have gone but after another half day using it, it was back.

It is a computer generated image going through the VGA input.

We now have an LCD and no problems at all. 169144-ok.gif

Sky are 1080i only now.

For £3k I would buy the Fujitsu 58 series screen, £2500 for the 42" and just over £3k for the 50".

Comes in a Piano Gloss finish if that is important, and for most it is as it is the main bit of furniture you are looking at in the room 99% of the time, but more importantly it is teh pic quality, it uses teh Panasnoic panel in the 58 series 42" and 50" (avoid the other models though they use hitachi ALiS glass) and they use there own power supply and processing.

The processing is awesome on it, not far off the external video processors you can buy, but all in one user friendly package.

if not get the panny, there is a new 50" 1080p Viera coming very soon and if prices stay inline with the jap prices it shpould be around £3500.

Forget trying to buy a TV that has the same resolution as the broadcatsers to get it to pixel map, ie no scaling etc. as it just doesn't work. All TVs will haver some overscan, so even if you have a 1080p screen and feed it 1080p it will not be bypassing the scaling. just go for the one with the best picture.

I have demoed a couple of D-Theater films to a room full of people on a 480 res panny plasma and 768 res panny plasma.

The material was pretty much reference quality, as good as it gets, only beaten by some laserdisc stuff from 15 years ago (and analogue I may add).

most of them were amazed at how little difference there was. We then put the same material on a CRT 9" projector, when fed through a Crystalio II processor at 1080p and then down converted to 720p again everyone was amazed at how little was lost, the most amazing thing was when fed direct into the projector at 1080i so no processing at all, it didn't look anywhere near as good as being fed downconverted 720. just goes to show that resolution means sod all.

Put on a cheap cable channel, and then a good quality DVD, they are both 720x576i, so why don't they look the same??

[ QUOTE ]

We got a NEC 40" Plasma in work to enable us to see a user screen outside a vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absoluetly the worst displays you can buy for image burn!!

I had an NEC 42XM3 for 4 days, lost £500 on it and ended paying £600 more for another Panny PHD6 that I had sold cheap to buy the NEC.

By the way, some fo the Pioneers now use NEC screens rebadged since they bought them out!

Anyone know how D.R.P.s compare these days?

Didn't they use to offer better picture quality and screen size pound for pound compared to plasma?

Was looking at a 20" Sony lcd for the kitchen, and noticed a 50" Sony D.R.P. reduced to £999

I know they are not flat, but that would suit my living room better anyway.

Here is a pic of my Panny, OK you can't tell much, but you can tell what natural colours it gives compared with lots of screens, and that it has a very analogue look to it.

There is no frame rate conversion with the Pannys, so you get completely smooth pans, if you watch a lot of sport this can be essential, 99% or LCDs convert everything to 60Hz internally, doesn't bother most people but can really annoy others.

50phd8small.jpg

Click For Full Size Version.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone know how D.R.P.s compare these days?

Didn't they use to offer better picture quality and screen size pound for pound compared to plasma?

Was looking at a 20" Sony lcd for the kitchen, and noticed a 50" Sony D.R.P. reduced to £999

I know they are not flat, but that would suit my living room better anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are awful!!!

A friend of mione has the 55" Sony and I don't know how he can watch it, truly miserable image. frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they offer both 720p and 1080i as they effectively use the same resolution. Would have to check when I get home.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked it was me that posted the info... yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked it was me that posted the info... yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You muppet. yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Here is a pic of my Panny, OK you can't tell much, but you can tell what natural colours it gives compared with lots of screens, and that it has a very analogue look to it.

There is no frame rate conversion with the Pannys, so you get completely smooth pans, if you watch a lot of sport this can be essential, 99% or LCDs convert everything to 60Hz internally, doesn't bother most people but can really annoy others.

50phd8small.jpg

Click For Full Size Version.

[/ QUOTE ]

That’s not trunking I see is it? NONO3.GIF