RS4 plus over book for my S4? What should I do?!

the911sc

Hi All,

So my dealership have a Phantom Black Rs4,Recaro(non bucket), bose, parking sensors, isofix, rear airbag and solar sunroof.

They priced this as 52405

I have an 04 S4 sal booking at 20,600(41Kmiles).

They say they will give me 22.5K for mine or £29,905 to change.

Finance at 3.94% makes for £720 per month.. Sounds ok'ish...

What do we think... Yay or Nay?...

I noticed the 07 car has slightly different spec (concert3 etc).

Is this a reasonable deal?...

[ QUOTE ]

The question I ask myself is it THAT much better than my already fully specced S4?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Go for a test drive - that's the only way to answer that question for yourself.

For me, having had two B6 S4's, the B7 RS4 is a very different car.

The engines are like chalk and cheese - the S4 engine accelerates well enough but it really doesn't like getting anywhere near the redline and it feels like a cruiser, the RS4 engine accelerates like crazy and literally throws itself at the redline and it feels like a race engine.

The ride of the RS4 is actually much more compliant than the S4 - it absorbs bumps and ridges better than the S4, but it also corners flatter (thanks to the DRC). Anyone who knows how rough the A31 Alton bypass is will know what I mean when I say the S4 knocks your fillings out but the RS4 just rides the lateral ridges with disdain.

I reckon the build quality of the RS4 is better than the S4 also - when I've been removing trim to do mods all the screws have had threadlock on them on the RS4, that certainly wasn't the case on the S4.

I used to enjoy driving my S4's, but I LOVE driving my RS4 - I've had it for over 5 months now and done over 6000 miles but I still get out grinning like a Cheshire Cat!

I have to say the RS4 is a great looking car, I had a sprint blue one on order and cancelled it. I had to step back and look at my situation and living on a small island driving a handful of miles a day I thought it crazy to spend almost 50K on a car which would lose so much money. So I sold my M3 and have invested in property. Swore I would never buy another car until I could put 50K in a shredder and not be bothered! I now drive a suzuki swift!

My advise would be to go for it if you can afford it as they simply are the most car you will get for 50K.

Thanks to both for those answers; both make sense.

I did drive the car today and agree with Dave. It did rev like crazy and also had a 'second wind' at about 5200 rpm. Ride was smoother than the S4 (and especially my S line!) and absorbed the bumps well. Didnt get much chance to try lateral handling since the car is brand new and I didnt want to cane it too much as we were on trade plates.

Apart from that the cabin felt just like home in the s4 it having the recaro seats rather than buckets but in a good way.

I am glad in a way it has the std seats since this has Isofix (a must for me) and I found bucket seats in the Boxster painful on longer journeys.

It doesnt have tech pack either but does have a sunroof (also a must for me!) I do have a phatnoise to plug into it so its not so much of a deal and can be retrofitted as we all know.

Still hovering around yes and no right now though!...

I already did the investment property thing so fancy a bit of fun... but then again the chipping and miltek route could be fun also...

Hmmmm dilema!

[ QUOTE ]

the S4 engine accelerates well enough but it really doesn't like getting anywhere near the redline

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting comment there Dave - do you mean in absolute terms or just compared to the RS4? I ask because one of the things I love about my S4 is the way in which it revs so freely, the needle sweeping round amazingly quickly. It seems to thrive on high revs and pulls eagerly all the way up to the redline, so much so that I often find myself bouncing it off the limiter if I'm not watching the tacho! smirk.gif

My experience of the new RS4 to date is limited to a couple of occasions just sitting in one and blipping the throttle. Based on that I do agree that it does seem to be even more responsive than the S4, but it's not what I'd call a night and day difference - although obviously I would need to drive one to appreciate it fully. 169144-ok.gif

Not even ridden in an B6/7 S4 but I have to say the RS4 I drove for about 10 miles was very revving, very flexible and pulled easily from tickover in third ( mini roundabout, mistake to be in third but it didn't matter) and the ride was fantastic, compliant, supple and yet flat in corners and vastly superior to my quattro S Line

911 is your car an O4 with 06 chassis or is it an 06 car, getting another grand off is excellent. What you should do now is call around every audi dealer you can find and see what they can better your current deal, I am sure most dealers have a car available or soon to be. I live in London and the last time I have purchase car from local dealer is 99, always with part ex. My last 3 cars have been delivered on a trailer no dealer hassle or sales pitch. Good Luck anyway if your cars is 04 deal is good.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the S4 engine accelerates well enough but it really doesn't like getting anywhere near the redline

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting comment there Dave - do you mean in absolute terms or just compared to the RS4? I ask because one of the things I love about my S4 is the way in which it revs so freely, the needle sweeping round amazingly quickly. It seems to thrive on high revs and pulls eagerly all the way up to the redline, so much so that I often find myself bouncing it off the limiter if I'm not watching the tacho! smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In absolute terms the S4 is a quick car and when I first owned one I felt it revved freely enough, and definitely gained a "second wind" above about 3500 rpm. But I found with both my S4's that there was little benefit going over 6000 rpm - more noise but no increase in acceleration.

But even on the test drive it was obvious the RS4 is an f..ing quick car and as well as a "second wind" the engine has a "third wind" at 5000 rpm and a "fourth wind" above 6000 rpm - it doesn't just like revs it loves them, and gets stronger and stronger as the revs increase

On the way home from work I pull out onto a 40mph limit A road and usually hit the rev limiter and 40 mph (ish!!!) in first and am right up with the car I pulled out behind - the acceleration from rest and the engine's love for revs is quite addictive.

Guess it is the same as any car where a very similar model is launched with an engine improved upon the previous effort.

Drive an original Elise, you'll love the telepathic handling and keen 1.8 k series engine. Magic. In isolation it is perfect.

However, go drive a Sport 135 (1999 vintage) where Lotus fitted their own ECU, a Janspeed exhaust, changed the cams and polished the cylinder head on the previously-untouched Rover plant and you'll be AMAZED.

Ian

Deal 99% done. My car is an 04/04 but as you can see from my sig the spec is high (for what it is worth). They will put in on the forecourt for 24.995 no doubt and try and get some of the money out that way probably.

Lots of cars in the system but all seem to have miles on them ( not that it makes a huge difference) but less than 100 miles is probably test track (as with all) plus a little so that is a big advantage for me.

Yet another phantom black RS4 on the forum then!...

laugh.gif

The trade in sounds pretty pants to me - how many miles has it done? Better to sell privately. I'd also chat with your bank about rates they will do - only compare the monthly amount the whoe APR/Flat thing is just designed to confuse. The other thing to bear in mind is that the S4 has done a good chunk of it's depreciation and is flattening off. The RS4 has lots to come. As others have said, it's your choice at the end of the day. £700 a month is a hell of a lot of money "to change" up from an S4 to an RS4, but it depends on the driving you do.

Are you saying you have to finance £29900?? Or is that the cost to change and you are putting some money in??

I would speak with Gareth and see what he can offer you finance wise, he will beat the dealer everytime, and get you into a package that you can get out of at anytime without getting your pants pulled down.

There is not an Audi finance package I would want to get caught up with at the moment, as they are all designed for people who either want to own their cars at the end or keep them for the full 2, 3 or 4 years the agreement is over.