Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive availability?

techieboy

Does anybody know anywhere with any stock or know have any info about when new supplies might be available?

I've searched high and low and the only place I can find them is on eBay at a considerable premium. Don't want to pay over the odds for what is, in effect, a temporary stop-gap solution until proper dual format HD/Blue-Ray players become available later this year (not going to risk shelling out £500+ on one format or the other and hope I picked the right one).

Cheers! beerchug.gif

Took the plunge and bought one from eBay in the end. Managed to find one at a £20 premium, so not too bad. Due for delivery tomorrow.

Agreed, it's unlikely to be as good as a £500 stand-alone player. But, I'm not going to invest £500 in a proper player until this whole HD-DVD vs BD-DVD scrap has sorted itself out. All of the 1st generation players of either variety are over priced and seem to have a flaw of one form, or another.

• 2 weeks later...

The DVD drive in the Xbox 360 is just a standard DVD player like most peoples home players.

HD-DVD is a different format and requires different hardware. The cheapest home players are around £400 at the moment so this is a cheap way to get a HD-DVD player, if you already have a Xbox 360. 169144-ok.gif

Idiot question alert!

Will this unit connect through a seperate HDMI cable into the tv or transmit the signal through the XBOX360? I have the 360 connected up through the "HD leads" that Microsoft supply but was under the impression that these couldn't handle the image like a straight HDMI cable would.

The unit does not come with a HDMI port. Its only outputs via component/VGA.

The HD cables are perfectly capable of displaying a quality output. Ask some of the AV geeks, HDMI is no better than Component. Its the TVs processing of the signal thats the weak point.