B7 cruise control retrofit

TDiAvant

Disconnect the Battery

Remove the two plastic clips on either side of the steering wheel, this will expose the Torx Head screws that hold the airbag in place.

Remove the Airbag and the disconnect the wiring harness from the steering wheel. Remove the Torx head screw holding the steering wheel in place.

4-wheelwithnut.jpg

Remove the lower foot well trim and disconnect the diagnostic port and the light connector. Using a long reach torx screw driver remove the 2 screws at the front of the lower cowling section and also remove the cap head screw from the middle of the lower cowling.

5-removewheel.jpg

6-removecowling.jpg

Remove the slip ring, which is held in with 3 clips 1 at either side and 1 at the bottom, then disconnect the wiring connector

7-removeslipring.jpg

Unscrew the wiper arm control unit and the indicator control unit, each one is held in with 2 torx screws. And remove the cap head screw which is located just behind the V shaped piece of plastic. Remove the wipe control arm and disconnect the wiring going into the back of the SCSM on the left hand side. Unplug the indicator arm and the SCSM can be removed.

8-removeoldscsm2.jpg

Push the new SCSM module in place and connect the wiper arm, indicator arm and the cruise arm. Remember each arm is held down with two torx screws. Reconnect the wiring harness to the new SCSM module, and Screw the cap head screw back in place.

9-fitnewscsm-cruise.jpg

Reconnect the slip ring and connect the wiring harness. Put the cowling back in place remembering to use the new lower cowling section. Screw back together using the 2 torx screws and the cap head screw. Put the lower foot well trim back in place, remembering to connect the diagnostic port and the light.

10-Refitslipring.jpg

11-refitnewcowling.jpg

The steering wheel back onto the car and try and set it at a level position, fix the wheel in place with the torx screw. Reconnect the airbag wiring harness and refit the airbag. Screw the airbag back in place and put back the small plastic clips.

4-wheelwithnut.jpg

12-Jobdone.jpg

Reconnect the battery and connect the vag-com to the system.

First of all if you fitted a new SCSM like I did you would need to code the SCSM with the correct coding

Open VAG-COM

Press Select

[16 Steering wheel]

Select Coding. Enter the correct coding for your car.

Select Do It!

Select fault codes

Clear fault codes. Confirm non re-appear

Close controller

The next step is to complete “Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Calibration”

I will not write this up as it can be found on the ross-tech web site.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/...28Bosch_8.0%29

The final step is the coding of the engine for cruise control.

Engine 01

Coding-II 11

Enter 11463

Select Do It!

I would then do a complete scan of the car and clear any fault codes as the battery has been disconnected.

Lee, if you're ever passing through Bedfordshire, feel free to stop by mine for a beer and retrofit session beerchug.gif

I know I can get the required bits from Bedford Audi for £65 but I haven't got VAG-COM or the necessary bottle to start dismantling the car to fit it. Last time I removed a steering wheel was on my first car 20 years ago and the bloody thing was never straight again. crazy.gif

• 3 years later...

I've put a guide on google docs here, which has some pictures, but they probably don't help with the slip ring specifically, but the instructions I wrote at the time were:

Remove the slip ring, which is held in with 3 clips; 1 at either side and 1 at the bottom. Then disconnect the wiring connector, which is the yellow connector at the top right, to the rear.
I seem to remember that one or more of these clips, or the connector was pretty tight.

• 3 weeks later...