"Dont use cards at petrol stations"

Paul

[ QUOTE ]

Fraud experts said last week that they would not use their cards at petrol stations because of a spate of cloning cases since January.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having heard that locally this has been a big problem with alleged trail leading back to my regular station, I have to admit, i am a bit reluctant to pay by card, despite not having had any problems (yet).

This artical does strike me as a no win situation though, as if people switch to cash, and are spending £50/£60 average upwards at petrol stations, its going to mean they are packed full of cash and therefore create another easy target for crime! smashfreakB.gif

Full artical HERE, worth a read.

I often have to sign at my local shell rather than using the chip and pin. Not sure if its a system problem or they are going back to the original signiture measure for protection.

When you see watchdog and see how difficult some of the banks are being if you have had money stolen by chip and pin it makes me wonder if its best to go back to it ?

All the issues are on us not the banks or at least thats how some are playing it. sportifs2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Luckily I havent been a victim as all my fuel goes through Shell. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Sorry but I don't understand "goes through Shell".

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply put, I buy all my fuel from Shell.

Shell locally has been alleged to be a possible place to get your card cloned, and it would appear other parts of the country too.

I put all my fuel on plastic, and only go to shell (unless forced to go elsewhere!). Had my amex card nailed - saw first airline ticket purchased in italy on online account - cancelled card after speaking to amex. purchase from the states and london also being processed! Did explain it wasn't me and couldn't be in all three places at once! They were good as gold and paid everything back within couple of days!

Mrs Zerologic had her card done at a BP station in Thetford on the A11. Nearly a grand used in India somewhere. Also been a run of this happening at a BP station in Norwich. (the one near county hall if anyone is interested)

The bank Fraud bloke said NEVER use your card at a petrol station, even if it means going to the forecourt cash machine and paying a cash machine charge. Its not worth the risk.

I always try and use Pay at pump so i never have to give my card over.

[ QUOTE ]

I never use my cards to buy fuel...cash always. safer option really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be awkward but what happens if you decide to pay by cash for petrol and the cash machine you go to first has a cloning mechanism fitted to it?. Ive had my card cloned a couple of times now but First Directs fraud department are second to none as they have twice now stopped my card, rang me up minutes after a transaction has taken place that looks dodgy and have replaced the money and card within a week both times 169144-ok.gif

I have not spent cash in a petrol station for years in fact I would say it is the most used place for my debit card at least. What are we supposed to do then if thats the case walk around with a pocket full of money, personally all I can do is make sure I am fully insured ie payment protection which is free with our bank accounts.

[ QUOTE ]

How do they do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes they use a similar method to shown here on the Real Hustle They may briefly take your card out of view maybe pretend to drop and swipe it behind the counter as they stand up again or pretend to clean the chip and run it through a reader hidden on thier person. only takes a split second. The trick is to put it in the chip and pin yourself and never take yor eyes off it.

[ QUOTE ]

How do they do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

A man sekret.gif told me that they had some terminals made up in China. These was "installed" by "engineers" at the Shell station unbeknown to some staff. These new terminals had a mobile phone sim card in them and automatically texted the card details to a mobile in eastern Europe. Then cards were made up and the cash withdrawals made.

It always makes me laugh when people go on about reservations about using their c/cards on t'interweb.

They don't like the idea of it being entered into a massively encrypted network as 'someone might steal it' and yet most people have no qualms about handing their cards over to some spotty like oik on less than the minimum wage smashfreakB.gif

Go figure confused.gif

I change my pins weekly, and my passwords. I know it sounds like a pain in the ar5e but actually once you get used to 'living secure' (as they brand it at work ROLLEY~14.GIF) it's not anything like as difficult as it sounds.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

How do they do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

A man sekret.gif told me that they had some terminals made up in China. These was "installed" by "engineers" at the Shell station unbeknown to some staff. These new terminals had a mobile phone sim card in them and automatically texted the card details to a mobile in eastern Europe. Then cards were made up and the cash withdrawals made.

[/ QUOTE ]

My local Shell keeps withdrawing their Chip and Pin service - is this why??? Oh god. Going to have to start taking loads of cash to feed the turtle now. smashfreakB.gifSAUER0421.GIF

If I changed my PINs I'd be scuppered, I have the memory of a goldfish and only just remember my own name. tongue.gif