A few RNS-E retrofit questions (2007 A3)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, code was hiding in the box.

But something isnt quite right - is it just coding?

I have moved the bose PIN, cut the wire (loop) to 16, and removed AU_PL. Everything is working except the following;

Phone - comes up as in call but nothing out of the speakers.

Very worrying clicking/interference noise for a couple of secs when you turn on the ignition

Quite heavy hum when the volume is turned down...

Finally, whats the best - easiest place to put the antenna?

[ QUOTE ]

Phone - comes up as in call but nothing out of the speakers.

Very worrying clicking/interference noise for a couple of secs when you turn on the ignition

Quite heavy hum when the volume is turned down...

Finally, whats the best - easiest place to put the antenna?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the phone audio lines are not connected to the RNS-E.

The noises and hum sound like there's a missing ground connection.

Some say put the GPS antenna behind the cluster, but I always fit it on the under surface of the dashboard above the glovebox. I get 5-8 satellites all the time (you need at least 4 for a 3D fix).

Hurrah. Just checked everything (all ok) plugged it back in, and it's all working fine now.....

Only thing is the phone, but I think that is just coding.

Unit shows signal strength and everything comes up on the DIS for phone, but no sound..

I'm just wondering if it all depends on the car it came from. Also wondering if it needs the latest software version, given my car is an 07 and also has ipod dock etc?

Do you have the latest disks so I can try to get the software updated?

I'll try to get the dealer to do it also....

However, depending on the build week of your car you may not get the free upgrade. I forget the exact week, but if you car was built after week 48 or 49 2006 you will not get the upgrade. My sisters MY07 A3 (week 51) is not covered, becuase if it came out of the factory with RNSe it will have the 2007 dvd in it already.

Chaz

Thanks to Dave for his help yesterday, we are a bit nearer. Turns out contrary to what the dealer said, I DO have Bluetooth with the GSM kit....

We still have 2 issues, namely;

Firstly occasional interference - clicking on igniiton, and speed/indicator affected whine.

Secondly the system connects to the phone (bluetooth or cradle) and alls seems to work, but nothing comes out of the speakers (neither do you get the connect/disconnect noise).

When I instaleld the system I cut the "loop cable" from 15 to 16 as advised, moved Bose pin, and removed the other one advised by Craig. Everything else appears ok, although we are getting an error on communication to the multifunction wheel...

The seller has offered to swap the unit in case this is a fault with the unit - but just wanted opinions on what else it could be?

Finally I got in the car today with Bluetooth OFF on my Nokia and it connected to the car! WTF?!

Are you using a 6230i? I had one of these, it was crap. Bluetooth off on display/settings, but still on! Check with another phone if you can transfer anything to it or find it, restarting the phone will solve this problem, but I found it a pain, so I scrapped it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

I've been following this post on here and on Navplus. Did you have a vagcom session with the car? Just wondered if you got the same ZF antenna short to ground error that I and a few others have seen.

Regards, John.

Hi, Yes PetrolDave sorted me out. The first unit was duff and I got no sound from telephone. The unit was swapped, and everything is working perfectly, including TMC....

However, I DO get an entenna error, which I/Dave thought might be the antenna connector (certainly not the unit as both did it). Reception doesnt seem as good as it should be. Dave, can you recall the exact error?

[ QUOTE ]

However, I DO get an entenna error, which I/Dave thought might be the antenna connector (certainly not the unit as both did it). Reception doesnt seem as good as it should be. Dave, can you recall the exact error?

[/ QUOTE ]

ZF antenna short - that was the important part of the error message.

Since this is now being seen on more than one car, I'm wondering if it isn't a bent and/or shorting pin as we thought, but wondering if the newer antenna amplifiers are taking more current which is triggering the over current alarm (which is reported as a ZF antenna short)?

Anyone seen and solved this on an 8P A3 retrofitted with an RNS-E?