Goodwood Festival of Speed

Phil330

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a great day out if you have even a sniff of petrol in your veins!

Get there earlyish (10am) spend the morning going round all the stands and static displays (you can get soooo close to some amazing machines - if your lucky they will be getting the fluids up to temp in some older F1 cars - revving away less then 2 meters in front of you.... the noise!!!). Then spen the afternoon getting a spot to watch the cars go up the hill. Everything usually does 2 runs morning and afternoon except the supr car run that usually goes up around lunch time.

I'm going on the sat and have done for the last 3 years. Never too busy.

Enjoy

Friday is the tradition for us, and the day I am going this year. One day per weekend is certainly enough. In fact in recent years I have only been going every other year, alternating between the Festival of Speed and the Revival. Having said that, now my family have a house barely 15 miles from Goodwood, I am planning on going to the Revival this year too.

If you are a photographer I would advise get there early. In previous years we've driven down from Bedford on the morning, setting off 5:45am. Now having a house in Fareham is great, but the A27 is a slow boring slog, and not getting to drive down the stunning tree lined sections of the A283 A285 is something I will definitely miss! This is especially true as only now do I actually have a performance car fitting with the Goodwood ethos! (For the last seven years we've gone by diesel power - hmmmmm lovely aircon)

Seriously though, gates open early. If you are planning on the scenic route through Petworth, just make sure you are through by 8:15am. This beats the school mums and the worst of the locals going to work, and gets you into the circuit / house (depending which event you are going to) by around 8:30am with ease.

2004 Festival of Speed album .... plus last years Revival album if you are interested

Ian

Parking is great and incredibly well organised. beerchug.gif

Parking is on sloped grass fields for the Festival and on dead flat grass for Revival. Low slung exotica get a different, smoother car park reserved at the Festival. Pretty sure it is FOC - just ask when you buy your tickets and you get a different car park pass. The sloped fields are fine in reality. You'd be absolutely fine in an M Coupe or XK. If you were going in say an Elise or a 355 I'd be making enquiries though.

Ian

Again, depends what you want from the day. If you are a photographer, certainly not! A grandstand seat [at the Festival] would bore me rigid personaly. Remember this is a hillclimb, hence there will be quite a time delay between the cars going up the hill. Then you have to wait for 10 minutes whilst all the cars group up and then come back down in a line being a pace car.

Ian

i think saturday is the best day to go. that way you can spend all day there without worrying about having to go to work on monday!! makes you feel like staying there all day and less inclined to shoot off home. also the traffic coming back on a sunday, via the m25 can be horrific smashfreakB.gif

get there for 8 and take a video camera with you, the sound is as good as the pics notworthy.gif my only regret is that i'll be on the beach in france the same weekend, ar$e SAUER0421.GIF

yup, grabbed mine last night. Have been checking the site everyday for the last week crazy.gif

Have always paid for Sat or Sun for many years, but £45 is getting too much, so a free day on Friday is owed to me I recon.

Was not expecting them to be up until tomorrow morning tho.