Police car recovery costs....

delticc

I belive the charge agreed by the Government/Police is £105 should your car need recovering by them. This could be down to having no tax through to recovery after theft when they find your car.

As some may know I was in the position where the Police recovered my car three weeks ago after theft, by a third party company to their premises. After the car was fingerprinted, I could go and pick it up.

I was presented with two invoices, and the attitude of "no pay-no car" and at the time thought this was the normal routine in this instance. One invoice for £105, one invoice for £434 for having to use skates, additional member of staff and storage in a forensic bay (even thought the first 24 hours storage is included in the £105 statutory charge)

Total cost for recovery 15 miles? £539!!!

Is this out of order? Problem is who do I make a complaint to?

Unfortunately that is pretty standard - as you say, every vehicle recovered will cost £105 - the rest is on storage, the costs are usually picked up by the insurers. If you really wanted to complain it would be to the recovery/storage people 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i removed the car within the inclusive 24 hours. £434 was dreamt up by them really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh ok, having read that bit I would be questioning it - I will ask our recovery agent their prices tomorrow and report back 169144-ok.gif

As mentioned the £105 is standard!!

You would be quite shocked at just how little the "crime scene examiners" do to your car!! frown.gif and I have never seen skates used on them tbh confused.gif

According to the invoice the extra money was for storage in a forensic bay, putting car on skates, recovery on a low transporter and an additional member of staff.

As far as the law is concerned, they can make additional costs as long as they are justified and accounted for, such as if the car was burt out or upside down.

My car was parked by the roadside.

Storage in a foresnic bay is included in the £105 Police charge, I think a car going on skates is basic vehicle recovery really, and they have a fleet of low transporters. As for the additional member of staff...why?

I think you need to question it which I think you will. It just seems very heavy handed to say the least. I would go and say further but I will leave it for now.

Its more back ally rip off pricing than the way the police should be doing things surely. Is it one of those things that the insurance people just pay up without questioning or something. mad.gif

Is it not just part of the polices job, it was after all a crime they were investigating!

I never knew any of this existing. You pay for a service then when you need to use it you get sha**ed up the arse for more money.

A joke really!

Why not "get them back", find some scuff marks either inside or outside and start complaint/ recovery action for damages?

[ QUOTE ]

Didn't got through the insurance, i'd have a silly premium next year, and the claim would have put the car on the HPI register as a stolen recovered.

[/ QUOTE ]

As in several discussions on here it 100% would not have been recorded stolen recovered on the HPI register. It is only marked as that if the insurance company pay out a total loss claim to you and then the car is found. The insurance company would then sell it on as stolen recovered. If your car needed new locks and an ignition barrel for example this would not be reported to HPI.

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

I belive the charge agreed by the Government/Police is £105 should your car need recovering by them. This could be down to having no tax through to recovery after theft when they find your car.

As some may know I was in the position where the Police recovered my car three weeks ago after theft, by a third party company to their premises. After the car was fingerprinted, I could go and pick it up.

I was presented with two invoices, and the attitude of "no pay-no car" and at the time thought this was the normal routine in this instance. One invoice for £105, one invoice for £434 for having to use skates, additional member of staff and storage in a forensic bay (even thought the first 24 hours storage is included in the £105 statutory charge)

Total cost for recovery 15 miles? £539!!!

Is this out of order? Problem is who do I make a complaint to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - i never knew they charged you to collect your car when they've recovered it. I've had cars stolen in the past, but never found.

Surely though, if they won't give you your car back, haven't they stolen it from you too? If you collected it within 24hrs, small claims court may be an option?