Anyone been to Alaska ?

scooby_simon

A mate and his family have a posting to Alaska (Anchorage) and so might "pop over" and see them next year (or the year after).

Looking to put a "proper" holiday around the trip as it is a fair old way....

So, as we'll have the kids it needs to be a "fun" trip, not just sightseeing, kids will love to see Polar bears / elk ect, but what else could we wrap up into it.

Also, when is the "best" time to go, we all Ski, and so winter is a possible, but what is there to do in Summer ?

• 1 month later...

Just booked to go next September, doing it the easy way though with Royal Caribbean.

Itinerary is Vancouver, British Columbia; Sitka, Alaska; Hubbard Glacier (Cruising); Skagway, Alaska; Juneau, Alaska; Icy Strait Point, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska; Seattle, Washington; San Francisco, California; Los Angeles, California.

So many things we want to see/do, whale watching, helicopter onto glacier, bear spotting, dog sled, salmon hatchery....can't wait. Now I need to convice the wife I, *cough* I mean, we NEED a digital SLR. grin.gif

I was looking into this when I went to BC.

You can get a ferry from Vancouver to Alaska which is supposed to be a very scenic journey and there are lovely roads to drive through on the way back [or a train if you don't want to drive].

I want to do this at some point as some of the pix in the ferry brochure looked stunning.

I've nothing particularly useful to add except that I'm quite envious; one of the places in the world I would love to see.

Actually, here is something you could do. I've no idea where it is (in relation to N, S, E, W) but Kodiak is a town which also boasts the world's biggest bears - the Kodiak bear. Bigger than a polar which might be cool to see.

[ QUOTE ]

Any idea what time of year Scooby ? Much is season dependant with Late May - August being suprisingly mild and then friggin freezing in the winter !

[/ QUOTE ]

All up in the air really.

Maybe late spring and do a bit of Skiing, maybe August - World champs may well be in the USA in 2009 and so could go out without wife and Kids; Sail the worlds, then meet Wife and the Kids in Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, here is something you could do. I've no idea where it is (in relation to N, S, E, W) but Kodiak is a town which also boasts the world's biggest bears - the Kodiak bear. Bigger than a polar which might be cool to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

My local restaurant serves Kodiak bear steaks, I ordered one and asked them to make it snappy.

We'll see how this thread develops..... blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My local restaurant serves Kodiak bear steaks, I ordered one and asked them to make it snappy.

We'll see how this thread develops..... blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me? Comment on your post? That's a negative. blush.gif