Black exhaust

Henry52

Having done my first really long runs in my Mk1V ( over 500mls } last weekend I was quite surprised to see the exhaust still looked quite black. No complaints about the fuel consumption or how the car drives, normally I would expect to see a nice slate? colour. I honestly don't know if the car has been chipped or not. Any comments greatfully recieved.

normal day to day running they normally run black, with the left pipe running sootier than the right. After a hard track day session, mine generally dont have any black soot, but only a very slight grey residue in them. Running with cams and full exhaust, with an increased rev limit of 7200 rpm. it does get worked hard though on the track... laugh.gif

Thank you to those that gave sensible answers. The reason for the Q was because I have had a number of performance cars and none of them have had a sooty exhaust after a long run or a hard drive. My E30 M3 which revs to 7800 and runs 340bhp has a nice grey residue after 20 miles, and at the end of the day if it's black it's rich.

[ QUOTE ]

The exhaust was always black on my R32 - except during and after a track day, when all the cobwebs were blown out and it would turn grey...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you were always rather lax when it came to cleaning your car mate lets face it !! tongue.gif