Pay cash for car ?

Markusinuk

Hi All.

I do not want to turn this post into an 'ability to pay' type post. However, I am curious to know who here buys their (Audi) cars for cash. By this I do not mean 'get a loan and then pay for car' - I simply mean take the cash out the bank and drive the car away .....

I am getting an A5 3.0 TDI and I am able to buy for cash if I wish (first time ever being in that position). My inital hunch was that this is the best way to go - no interest, car is mine from the word go. Also, suppose the car is worth say £20,000 in three years time then all the equity is mine to use (perhaps put more down and get a RS5 then cool.gif). With PCP deals, loans and the like you have to end up paying more in the end ......

,,,,,, unless you never consider your car purchase as a 'purchase' and instead just think about it as a 'service' rather than 'goods'. In some ways this makes sense since cars loose so much value ....

... but still feel if the cash is there then a 'non loan' route is the best ...

Any comments or views people?

rgs

Mark

Mark, I always pay cash plus PX on all my cars, If I can't aford it I don't buy it. I never have debts not even a mortgage now. Lucky no just worked hard and invested well.

I understand many on here buy via "Loan" an for there good reasons.

I know I am on a looser from day one and my money is P*ssing down the drain at warp speed, BUT it's my money and my life which may be long or short, so I enjoy my cars, and if I go next week I can say "I bought just what I wanted" wink.gif

A guy I work with and myself have discussed this many times.

I'm from the school of I only get stuff when I can afford it. I hate paying someone interest.

He's in the school of "I'm happy to pay a bit more if it means I can get it earlier".

I guess both have their merits and also disadvantages.

[ QUOTE ]

Mark, I always pay cash plus PX on all my cars, If I can't aford it I don't buy it. I never have debts not even a mortgage now. Lucky no just worked hard and invested well.

I understand many on here buy via "Loan" an for there good reasons.

I know I am on a looser from day one and my money is P*ssing down the drain at warp speed, BUT it's my money and my life which may be long or short, so I enjoy my cars, and if I go next week I can say "I bought just what I wanted" wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im that same, if i cant afford something i wait untill i can 169144-ok.gif

The only debt i have is a huge mortgage suicide.gif

Shoving £50K into a car is stupid IMO.

You can make your money work harder for you with good wealth management/investments etc.

Debts are only bad if you cant afford them - and 99% of companies make money by loaning money so they can make even more money. The ultra cautious people tend to make less.

I've never like debt, hate credit and have sorted out the millstone mortgage by years of over payment.

I have liquidity and could buy a few very high value cars via a simple cheque.

However I would (and have in the past) part finance a car with borrowings. Reason being that if I pay £25k for a car cash and 3 years later I sell for £12k I've 'lost' £13k from my nest egg.

So I tend to borrow £10k over 2 / 3 years, buy at £25k taking £13k hit on sale- logic being that I've only lost £2k of my initial capital.

I know the loss isn't the true financial picture, but a mix being a decent deposit and a loan paid monthly is like pay as you go deprication.

Something I'm happier with.

I always though in an ideal world that I would just pay cash. But I'm no longer sure this is the best thing to do, I think it depends upon how often you are intending to swap you car, it's values and the resale.

If your planning to keep the car for say 3 years and move on the PCP route might actually save money.

Late last year Audi were doing great deals on A6, I think the figure was about £350 per month. This was for the 2.0TDI, but this is still around £30k's worth of car. Over the 3 years you pay £12600. Assuming that you don't make anything in trade in (i.e. you just get back any deposit paid) then you are £12600 down. Of course the car is going to have depreciated, £12600 is 42% of purchase, so not a bad rate. Therefore you have taken the hit on depreciation but still have your £30k in the bank on which you have been making interest so would be something like £4k up on the whole deal.

Of course this doesn't work for everyone, but a work collegue of mine has just bought a new Volvo S80 (for cash) after taking an £18k hit over 18 months on his previous S80. He could have leased his previous car for way less that £1k per month so been much better off with PCP.

I bought mine with "cash":

stumped up half the amount in readies and slapped the rest onto my Egg card with 0% for a year [via getting back to authorise overdraft for an hour for the shortfall, buying on switch and then doing BT to Egg] then just switch from 0% deal to 0% deal. Will be paid off hopefully within the next 6 months [3 and 1/2 years later!]