Audi RS3 to be launched at 2010 Geneva show

CarMad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf R I am currently driving is Hydraulic not electronic

The Golf R has a Haldex system, and like all Haldex systems they have hydraulic clutches which are electronically controlled.

I used to have an 8L S3 which was chipped to 265bhp and you could definitely feel the delay as it switched from FWD to 4WD, as many say that has been improved in the latest Haldex systems but the delay is still there (since slip has to be detected and the clutches engaged). In extreme conditions the full-time 4WD Torsen system does give better feel, but as has already been posted can only be fitted with longitudinal engines due to space constraints. So given the choice between Haldex and FWD, IMHO Haldex is streets better.

• 2 weeks later...
My understanding is that both the Golf and A3/S3 in current forms use Haldex version IV so your Golf R should have the same Haldex system as my current shape S3. The previous shape S3 used Haldex version I or II IRRC.

Hi Merlot, how are you doing mate?

Bought a set of Monza GTI wheels of you some time ago (Which I still have) handle was FAGASH 32 then, but in the big changeover lost that particular name.....and am now apparently driving a feckin Saab! not!

S3 I just changed was a 10 plate for the Golf R, and to be perfectly honest the R system is a lot better in relation to steering and rear wheel bias than the S3, I did read in a few publications that VW had altered the system from the standard S3 set up, whether this is true I cannot say, however it does feel a lot more responsive, I had a TTS on factory 19's before the last S3 which was quick but a bit to fidgety for my liking, which also suffered with some major steering problems from new, where the software was not reading braking and steering correctly,causing the car to track left with no feel under braking, very disconcerting, which for a new 37K car was pretty p"ss poor, a lot of the early cars had there racks replaced to try and cure the issue, and then a different software issue, but the car never felt right, so it had to go

Whilst with Audi in Munich this weekend we quized them over the RS3, expect to see it within 6 months +++

4.2 V8 :roflmao:

You can not be serious! A 4.2 V8 in the A3 body!!! There are just so many logical mechanical reasons how that just does not work!!

You sure they were not just pulling your leg?

You can not be serious! A 4.2 V8 in the A3 body!!! There are just so many logical mechanical reasons how that just does not work!!

You sure they were not just pulling your leg?

The first line was true, the 4.2 v8 bit was a joke mate as the RS3 will never happend according to so many people.

I wonder if haldex cars have a better chassis distribution of weight than torsen cars do?

No, because they've all got transverse engines, which means most of the weight of the engine and gearbox are forward of the front wheels.

With a longitudianally mounted engine and gearbox, regardless of whether the car uses a Torsen-based 4WD system, the weight distribution is better, because more of the weight is behind the front axle than with a transverse mounted engined car.

Read my lips. The RS3 is never going to happen.

And if it does it'll be expensive and shyte. What kind of lemming would want to spend 40 grand plus on a hatchback that'll be slower than a 25 grand Impreza?

That would be me "Lemming Humungus"

There are quite a few people speccing Golf R's up to 40K, so on that basis if it only costs 40K then I will be more than happy to shell out.

I appreciate your point about 25 grand impreza, but these cars fall into the RS Feckus Scooby Evo category, loud and brash, which is absolutely fine by me, as I have done that bit, so a nice subtle performance motor with FWD suits me down to the ground, without making me look and sound like I am having another MLC, in other words a "sad barsteward" trying to recapture his youth...............stealth is a huge bonus at this stage of my driving career..........now an A1 with a 4.2 V8.in black of course!

Read my lips. The RS3 is never going to happen.

And if it does it'll be expensive and shyte. What kind of lemming would want to spend 40 grand plus on a hatchback that'll be slower than a 25 grand Impreza?

I love your regular Audi bashing, I really dont think a customer considering an RS3 would even consider at an Impreza to be honest ! Fast maybe but fook me it shouts chav IMHO obvioulsy

Edited by AZURES3

Perception is such a strange thing. I suspect an RS3 - hypothetically of course, seeing as it'll never happen - will "shout chav" just as much, if not more, to your average Joe in the street than my Impreza STI hatch does ... admittedly mainly because my STI hatch is a relatively new and rare model that most of them won't recognise because it isn't a saloon with a ridiculous back wing in blue with gold wheels...

Call it regular Audi bashing if you like - all I'm doing is trying to balance out the natural Audi fan bias of TSN. :P

Perception is such a strange thing. I suspect an RS3 - hypothetically of course, seeing as it'll never happen - will "shout chav" just as much, if not more, to your average Joe in the street than my Impreza STI hatch does ... admittedly mainly because my STI hatch is a relatively new and rare model that most of them won't recognise because it isn't a saloon with a ridiculous back wing in blue with gold wheels...

Call it regular Audi bashing if you like - all I'm doing is trying to balance out the natural Audi fan bias of TSN. :P

If the RS3 doesnt appear by next April, I will take an Impreza for a test drive even one with gold wheels and a picnic table on the back as a punishment :)-