If you had to buy a tablet now, which would you get and why?

Sponge

Just worth adding - don't even get remotely tempted by a non 3G model.

On launch day for iPad 1, I bought a 32GB wifi only - and soldiered on with it hooked up to my iPhone for 3G coverage for about 8 months.

The downside is having to keep the iPhone on charge, as using it as a hotspot runs the battery down very quickly - especially if you're using a 3G or 3GS (things improved when I bought a 4, though).

So, when iPad 2 was released, and PC World were clearing out of iPad 1s, I bought an iPad 1 64GB with 3G for £399 and donated the iPad 1 to my wife.

I've got WiFi only iPad 2 as it never leaves the house so 3G is a waste for me and its uses personally.

However if I was looking at getting one in the near future and not today I'd wait for the iPad 3 due out in a couple of months, better display, faster etc. etc. and probably for the same price or less, you really can't go wrong with them. +++

It's unfortunate that he wants/needs to buy something in the next couple of weeks, otherwise I'd tell him to await the arrival of the iPad 3 and whatever knock-on effects it has on, say, the price of the iPad 2. If he were to buy an iPad 2 I'm sure it'd be extremely annoying when it's surpassed by v3, but if it's the way to go, then it's the way to go.

I remembered I have a trial of Which? and this is a screenshot. I think they rate the iPad. :roflmao:

This is from the review I linked to above:

Final verdict

There's a nagging sense with the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime that holds us back from declaring a sweeping victory compared to the Apple iPad 2 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Overall, when you consider the specs, we know the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime is the better tablet. For hardcore tech enthusiasts, this is the tablet you want, because it has the latest next-gen processor and supports true HD movie recording and playback.

For the masses, and just for the overall top spot in the tablet market, the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime can't compete with the iPad 2 for app selection and quality.

And we have to give the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 the nod for a superior screen. That's hugely important: the screen is what you look at all day.

The Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime is faster than any tablet, and matches the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Apple iPad 2 for size and weight.

But we can't quite declare the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime the winner overall. The iPad 2 still has that honour.

For Android tablets, we'll say that the faster, lighter Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime ties with the excellent-screened Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

post-10548-137914478621_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sponge

You haven't actually said what he wants to do on it.

You also haven't mentioned price range or required features.

I would not buy an iPad2 in the next few weeks when a 3 is around the corner.

I used a Galaxy Tab and that was very impressive. It Just Worked.

Asus.

My mate has one and he keeps saying about the 'Apple Fanboy base' at his work being seriously jealous of it, as they blindly bought the ipad/iPad 2!

You can get a keyboard to plug in and the keyboard also supplies extra battery juice, doubling the life.

I think it's an Android device.

Have a look and a play in Comet.

My dad is retired. He has a perfectly adequate laptop (which he uses when he's sat in the living room) but it's a few years old and since getting my mum a new one for Christmas he craving something new, up to date and flashy. I'm steering him away from another laptop and towards a tablet as I think that'll fit his needs: something to view pictures, movies, facebook, internet, the odd game (nothing too indepth, he's no FPS'er). It must be light and portable, battery life is always important.

The reason he wants to buy now is he's going into hospital shortly and will be there a month or more. He wants, needs, something to pass the time.

He's said he's happy to spend in the region of £500.

I'm reluctant to buy the iPad 2 not because I don't think it'll meet his needs, but because iPad 3 is so close and it'll be out of date almost immediately. I know everything becomes out of date eventually, and there comes a time when you just have to make that purchase, but it'd be nice to have something 'cutting edge' for more than a month!

Edited by Sponge

How will the release of the ipad3 actually make the ipad2 'out of date' though?

It won't mean the 2 suddenly loses the functionality it had just because the 3 is out, so the 2 will still perfectly fit his needs and the 3 becomes an irrelevance.

Let's face it, what is the 3 going to add that will genuinely be of use?

It's just that if you 're willing to pay a little more for the market leader, you'd rather it wasn't almost immediately superseded by a newer, better model. Even if the 3 is just slightly better and quicker at things, it's the knowledge you've no longer got the best available.

Of course, it depends whether any of that actually matters to you.

I agree with both of you. It shouldn't really matter, but I find it does. Well, to me at least. He'll probably know no better and/or can live with it. But then again, like father like son. He effectively wants to replace his laptop as it looks out of date (sat next to my mum's) :grin:

I'll be surprised if the iPad 3 offers much more than the iPad 2, but when you're spending £500 you don't want what you get to become 'Oh, you've got v2. I've got v3, it does...this...this...Why didn't you wait and get v3? Blah, blah...' straight away.

Edited by Sponge

If you buy something else, the list of functionality that is beaten by the 3 will just be even longer.

This is my dilemma. He is unable to wait for v3. So if the choice is between a £500 iPad 2 and a £500 Asus Transformer Prime, would the latter not be a more future proof purchase because it's the latest tech? The Asus is going to get the ICS update too.

I'm finding it hard to move past the hardware side of things. I've been using an Android phone for nearly a year now and am more than happy with it, the marketplace, etc. I've had only a quick play with an iPad and I couldn't appreciate any overwhelming difference leading me to think, 'omg, apple is sooo much better.'

If it matters, he has no other Apple stuff: his desktop runs W7, as does my mum's laptop. His laptop runs Vista. He has a Windows Mobile smartphone (LG Optimus 7) and an Android smartphone (HTC Wildfire). He recently acquired the latter foc after renewing his contract with Orange.

Edited by Sponge