Apple Watch launch

NewNiceMrMe

Just comes across as jealousy Tipex, nothing more. LOL OMG I'D NEVER SPEND THAT because *random excuse*. You could apply it to so many things couldn't you?

What about Rolex? Or any of the other good watch makers? You really think they're so much better engineered as you go up the price range? Of course not, margin just gets bigger.

I'm not in the market for something like that, but I have dropped more than that on a watch. I guess I must just like ostentatious displays of wealth, and must be a retarded ****.

Edited by Mac
  • Like 2

Whether I can or can't is irrelevant, nor something you have any knowledge of.

The 13.5k watch has only one purpose over 'normal' models, an ostentatious display of wealth, therefore, anyone buying one (imo) is a retarded cünt.

As CarMad says, why is it an issue and why is it a display of wealth?

Some people spend £30,000, £50,000, £75,000, £100,000 on cars - and they still do pretty much the same thing. 

So what is someone spends £13,500 on a watch strap?  It is going to be a collectors piece.  Go read about why it is £13,500.

I wouldn't do it, but nor would I be so brave as to call someone who decides to do so a retarded ****.   You criticise CarMad for saying "nor do you have any knowledge of", yet once again you are making a immediate judgement of someone elses choice when you will know feck all about them!

You're astonishingly hypocritical at times.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

Just comes across as jealousy Tipex, nothing more. LOL OMG I'D NEVER SPEND THAT because *random excuse*. You could apply it to so many things couldn't you?

What about Rolex? Or any of the other good watch makers? You really think they're so much better engineered as you go up the price range? Of course not, margin just gets bigger.

I'm not in the market for something like that, but I have dropped more than that on a watch. I guess I must just like ostentatious displays of wealth, and must be a retarded ****.

The thing is, buying a Rolex or whatever brand, you do get better quality than if you buy a Casio or any other cheaper brand, you are paying for the brand and whatever that represents, be it style or quality.

You aren't paying for the brand with the 13.5k Apple watch, it does literally nothing more than the 'normal' Apple watch, it's just more expensive, it doesn't look any different, it's no better quality, it isn't any more stylish, it's sole reason for existence is simply because Apple know there are people stupid enough to buy it.

Jealousy? Not really, I don't really do jealousy but I might be jealous of someone who owns something I'd like to own, say a Cobra, or a UR Quattro, but I'm not jealous of someone that owns a 13.5k watch that I have no interest in the 'cheap' version of, let alone the expensive one.

I'm not sure how hypocritical comes in to it either? Me saying CarMad has no idea of the status of my wealth has nothing to do with me saying I think the 13.5k Apple watch is ridiculous, whether someone can afford it or not doesn't make it any less ridiculous a purchase in my opinion.

Rubbish, you're not comparing anything like the same things. You can get cheap(er) Rolex, and more expensive ones. More expensive materials make a more expensive watch, even if the internals are the same. How does that not apply to other watch vendors? They all do the same thing.

Your argument is up there with the London Olympic being in Paris :P

13k to someone on 250k/year would be no different to me buying a pushbike I'll never ride. Oh. Wait.

Not worth your money? Don't buy one. Call someone a retarded **** for buying one - says more about you than them.

Edited by Mac
  • Like 1

Call someone a retarded **** for buying one - says more about you than them.

Well that maybe so, doesn't change my opinion of anyone that buys one, sometimes in life, you just think things are stupid, rational or not, that's just what I think.

Anyway, is anyone here actually going to buy one? (Any version)

Edited by Tipex

Yes. 13k one? No.

Are you buying it with your own money? Or have you 'acquired' one?

While I'm not interested in one myself at this point in time, I am interested in people's opinions of it once they've had it a while.

I did just think of another (what I half drunkenly think is a good one) argument against the 13.5k one, I doubt anyone will be handing one down to their children in their will like they might a Rolex, what's the likely lifespan of the watch before it becomes obsolete? 5, 10 years?

This will be my own money - not core enough for me to throw a freebie unfortunately. 

The thing is, I do have tech that does the same thing. I have a Mio Alpah for example, and Endomondo on my phone, and other stuff, it all kinda does the same thing. On the other hand, everything Apple has bought out to date I've had other stuff that kinda did the same thing too, Apple does have a ay of bringing it together in a way that makes the product better than the sum of the parts.

I'm full of the curious.

If someone legally amasses a fortune that enables them to buy something extravagant that they want, then I say good for them.  Even if I wouldn't want it myself (if I had the cash).  After all, how dull would life be if we were all uniform?

I mean, it's not as if it hurts me, is it?  Quite the opposite, in fact, as the existence of rich people willing to spend money on pointless trinkets creates a new market, feeds economic growth, and thereby benefits us all.  Of course, someone who doesn't have the mental capacity to realise this, now they genuinely are retarded.

And, of course, someone who has such an extreme negative reaction to someone choosing of their own free will to spend their own money on a trinket, whether that is through jealousy, narrowmindedness, or whatever, well, they really are a cünt.

• Like 1

If someone legally amasses a fortune that enables them to buy something extravagant that they want, then I say good for them. Even if I wouldn't want it myself (if I had the cash). After all, how dull would life be if we were all uniform?

I mean, it's not as if it hurts me, is it? Quite the opposite, in fact, as the existence of rich people willing to spend money on pointless trinkets creates a new market, feeds economic growth, and thereby benefits us all. Of course, someone who doesn't have the mental capacity to realise this, now they genuinely are retarded.

And, of course, someone who has such an extreme negative reaction to someone choosing of their own free will to spend their own money on a trinket, whether that is through jealousy, narrowmindedness, or whatever, well, they really are a cünt.

Very good, thinly veiled insults duly noted and filed appropriately!

Please don't insult your own intelligence by claiming the few 13k watches they sell to rappers or celebs will be benefiting the economy though, the only thing they'll be benefiting is Apples bank balance.

Very good, thinly veiled insults duly noted and filed appropriately!

Please don't insult your own intelligence by claiming the few 13k watches they sell to rappers or celebs will be benefiting the economy though, the only thing they'll be benefiting is Apples bank balance.

Hang on, you're the one calling people retarted ****s, and now you're unhappy as the argument has been turned around? Shame we couldn't get the word hypocritical in the original post somewhere  :P

The Apple Watch Edition (the gold one) sold out in China - within an hour of orders being taken.

I doubt very few of the people buying it there are rappers.

p.s. I really don't like the word 'retarded'.  It reminds me of the 70's and early 80's and the word is quite offensive in my opinion.  More so than cnut.

• Like 1

The people employed to make them, and to sell the parts & raw materials to Apple might disagree with you.

As might the people who run small businesses near the people who are employed to make them, when they see the increased spending power of the people who have jobs as a result of these hideous watches.

As might HMRC - how much is the VAT on £13k?

No, you're directing it at a small class of individuals. So almost the same.

Except that none of them are ever likely to read it.

I suspect everyone involved is likely to make more money from the sale of countless hundreds of thousands, probably millions, of the 'cheap' Apple watch than they ever will from the 13k ones.

Anyway, this is just getting daft now, I've made my point and if it continues it'll just degenerate even more than it already has by some members, so other than to discuss what people think of the watch in general, and their experiences of ownership, I'll not be saying any more.