2006 987 Boxster 2.7

eldavo69

I hope he got what he ordered.  We didn't.

Shambolic experience.

They are a work of art in the flesh and a monster of a vehicle, but the entire process has meant that MrsMe will be going down the Cayenne route that Patently has (in all likelihood but not the V6 Petrol).

Strangely no, he didn't.

Ordered a certain set of wheels and it arrived with the incorrect ones...was told it would be a month before they could get the correct ones and unless he wanted to pay for the ones it was delivered on, he wouldn't be able to take it, he'd have to wait!

Strangely no, he didn't.

Ordered a certain set of wheels and it arrived with the incorrect ones...was told it would be a month before they could get the correct ones and unless he wanted to pay for the ones it was delivered on, he wouldn't be able to take it, he'd have to wait!

See what I mean? :roflmao:

On ours they 'forgot' to build the car with over £4k of options, including the big one - the executive rear seats.

To be fair to them they accepted fault (dealer fault) but it wasn't something they could fix without us either waiting for a new one (4 months) or accepting it as it was with a compensation offer in the region of £7k (in reality £2500 when you realise £4500 of it was the missing options) - but when you've waited 5 months for a car.....you want the car you ordered!

We rejected.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

What did you do? You have a RR now don't you?

Sold it.

When the new RR arrived and the debacle began we decided we couldn't keep the other RR any longer for a variety of reasons.

Firstly, it was only ever a temporary measure (we bought it as an interim car after being offered a silly price on the X6 to sell it early but we still needed a car until the new RR came).

Secondly, it took a good while for it to decide it preferred being at our home instead of in a garage having things fixed. :roflmao:

Then, it would do odd tempermental things that the garage said was 'nothing' or 'normal'.  You know, the normal or nothing stuff such as not starting, the alarm going off at 3am, 4am, etc., or the steering lock refusing to free itself when you put the key in, or, well, you get the idea.

So, we're on the look out for what the new long term car will be, but the RR debacle started within days of MrsMe's mum dying - so you can imagine how much of appetite she had for looking at what new car to order.

Instead, after a few weeks of nothingness, she announced she wanted a temporary summer car and that I could then sort out the long term car for her. 

She chose......a Volvo C70 (D5 SE Lux, top the range thingy). 

She, ironically, loves it.  21,000 miles, one owner, utterly pristine.

So she's running around in that and I'm left to arrange (no chance, because she'll want to come anyway) to go visit a Porsche dealer and discuss a Cayenne.  Probably the diesel, possibly the hybrid.  The C70 will stay until that arrives (which right now will be a long time as whenever I try to get her to think about going to Porsche, she's got other things to do or can't be bothered with the entire new car hunting process again).

I will make it happen in the next month or so, hence being interested in the lead time Patently has been told about. +++

She had always wanted a Range Rover.  Classic example of never meeting your dream car.  You'd think that a new RR could be ordered without fault though wouldn't you?  Apparently not.

• Like 1

If I tried to describe how much of a non-event the problem appeared to be to RR, you wouldn't believe me.

So matter of fact. 

I even got given the line that the compensation offer (which bizarrely included £1,800 of travel vouchers) could not be improved because the original discount given on the deal was so good.   Yeah right. :roflmao:

Someone liked the spec anyway, because I'm told they'd managed to sell the car on a good few weeks back now. 

We got our deposit back quickly enough so I can't fault them for that but it does leave a bitter taste in your mouth and a reluctance to even consider the brand again in future.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Now I don't often give even veiled compliments to Audi, but at least when they forgot to fit a drive shaft to Scotty's A4 non-quattro they let him keep it until they'd built one to the spec he ordered...

Indeed, would have cost Audi big time!

Centre console was properly minging once I got it stripped down:

6B413ECF-7438-441A-AAFF-B41F14B7C780.jpg

So cleaned it all up and hoovered underneath before routing the phone cable along the carpet edge:

01A7808A-0EC1-436E-ABDF-99C0E43EC63D.jpg

Console all back in and cable installed in the armrest, the head unit has a dedicated iDevice socket with a higher current output too:

CBD305AF-359B-46CB-8212-F09D49E1DA8A.jpg

I'd decided to run the other two USB extension leads to the glovebox which meant that this happened:

414F729A-871A-40E1-8E76-CB96E45B12BC.jpg

And this shows just how much of the dash drops down:

F11DB3AB-2082-4E7B-8E87-0B494DC423DC.jpg

As the head unit doesn't have a CD player, the CD storage box seemed superfluous. So I removed it and pulled out the CD trays and springs:

92E979D4-1DEA-4984-9A72-B02D8F629181.jpg

Cut a hole in the back of the box and fed the extension cables into it:

8B798D7D-F73D-46BA-B58E-CA59DA82E79C.jpg

Reassembled the glovebox and now the extension leads sit neatly above it to be pulled out and used as and when for charging another device or plugging in a USB drive or similar (or both):

EA22EBA9-A0FC-4D7C-874E-10A8FDDD63DC.jpg

All reassembled and had a play with the head unit:

EBDEC118-19AB-4D7B-B181-B6BD44F311A1.jpg

Downloaded the Spotify, Facebook, Waze, VLC Player and a reverse camera app too. Also surfed the web, setup the email and message services and the wifi too.

Very impressed with the Parrot device - very easy to use and intuitive as well as being quick to boot and respond. The screen is very very good too, iDevice levels of sensitivity and supports multi-touch, pinch, long press for menus, etc. too.

• Like 2

Gave the inside a proper clean too, started on the doors and the novelty of carpet on the bottom of them meant that I had to do stripes:

0F01411A-0D0D-4BF1-A3C6-B8F509BB677A_1.j

But then decided against it and went for brushed smooth:

34395168-C851-4033-91A7-EA64FD28871C.jpg

Porsche mats are excellent quality and this car had the optional leather bound thicker mats from new, they're still in great shape but a bit mucky:

54EF5B76-5D0F-4382-B111-A2EBCED63D2C.jpg

Nowt a good wet vaccing can't sort out though:

F8336FB1-9EB5-4B38-A93F-556BA8AF7112.jpg

As I did all the rest of the interior I got right underneath the seats to the uncarpeted sections that house the control units behind little humps - i.e. even reaching or hoovering under there wouldn't get to this section - and I found the rear view mirror!!!! At least I know how much they go for on eBay now :)

Waiting on the gearknob back from the Furniture Clinic with the kit for refurbing the handbrake lever and driver's seat with it too.

Off to the 718 Boxster launch event on Weds night so will hopefully have everything back together for then.

• Like 2

Definitely the same mats:

D601D28F-86B7-4184-BF64-E9984A5AEF78.jpg

As I mentioned before, the bells on the discs were rusty and manky - with the wheel design being so open they were very noticeable. The discs themselves have quite a lip on them and will get replaced when the pads next need doing:

032D7FBC-4519-43B2-AD18-DFCF604684BB.jpg

The wheel bolts themselves were rusty too, when I removed them the alloy collars were quite corroded as well so I'll replace the bolts in due course:

B00F82C5-6CFC-468B-B7E1-7E1B0F59C98E.jpg

Sprayed the bells in situ, a bit of overspray on the disc surface but that comes off the first time you dab the brakes. Gave the wheels a good clean too, they would benefit from a light refurb ideally - no scuffs or scrapes but a fresh coat of paint would make them look even better than they do now:

FDA11DF1-A5C4-4CFE-A2B2-1D9BBE4D45EC.jpg

A light dusting of paint on the bolt heads too has transformed how they look - plus pointing the crest to the tyre valve to keep the purists happy. I'll be getting the calipers refurbed soon too - probably in Boxster S red and that'll look very smart against the silver:

65E7503F-33C9-45E4-B515-BDB5D4877C8C.jpg

Did the same on the driver's side rear wheel and will do the other side later this week.

Popped the headlights out too, gave everything a clean whilst it was out and dismantled the unit to measure up for fitting LED bulbs to the dipped beam:

922B4B08-F78E-4A6B-BAAF-EC59419709B2.jpg

The roof came out nice and clean:

1F2AD401-89DB-42C7-84F8-587AA7C331B6.jpg

So I've deferred my plans to dye it and instead used the Renovo Ultra Proofer on it and have left it to dry overnight in the garage.

Edited by eldavo69