How are the centre caps removed??

winrya

My dealer has ordered me 3 new centre caps for my alloys as they have begun to corrode.

They said pop down anytime and they will swap them over. My problem is im paranoid they are going to prise them off with a screwdriver and leave marks on the wheels. Do they have a special tool.

Cheers guys

[ QUOTE ]

probably best to remove the wheels and push them out from the inner side of the rim as that'll avoid any tool markings on the outer side.

the dealer may just try to prise them off... shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my fear although I really cant be bothered to take my wheels off. I wonder if they will just give me the caps so i can put them on when i get some time??

Oh and guys if you wanted to know, the cost price of the 18"monza is £209+vat some mark up. I was quoted £380 by another dealer (retail price), Talk about high margins

for any part replaced under warranty, the dealer is required to retain the part that is removed, just in case vw uk want to audit. they won't put a hole in them. they also are very unlikely to let you just take away some new caps - they'll want to have your old ones otherwise their warrantly claim may be rejected.

Right, they wouldnt let me take them away, they said they are a nice quick swap and that they have a special tool for them. She said go over to the car and a techy will be over (great i thought, can keep an eye on him). She then came over a minute later and said with the Gti's they have to take the wheels off confused.gif

So 30 mins later i left but the positive was no damage to the wheels and all 4 changed even though 1 was perfect grin.gif

I must give a recommendation to bridgnorth vw as they are superb. Had the car serviced last week and they did a great job. Seems they are very careful with the cars, i also liked the comment they take all the 18's into town to have the tyres changed as they dont like to risk damaging alloys. 169144-ok.gif

• 6 years later...

I bought 4 caps off ebay for my Monza wheels £8.99 inc. postage.

I didn't want to take the wheels completely off just to push the caps out so I drilled a screw into the centre of each cap about 2cm. With some pliers pulled the cap out then pushed in the new ones. Took me less than 5 minutes to do all four. I think this is the easiest way.

Edited by helpinghans