Using 'Hard-shoulder' lane at peak hours

330dcoupe

I'm surprised to see no one is discussing the recent developments of our mad highways agency.

do you think it's a good idea to use the 'hard shoulder' as an extra lane during peak traffic hours? I think once lay-by 's are installed it should makes things allot better - and let's face it, it's the cheapest and most convenient way of extending our motorways.

I was driving along the M42 last week, when I saw the 'use hard shoulder' sign. For a moment, I thought someone had spiked me diet coke! At the time, I did notice a big difference in the traffic flow of the west midlands at that time of the day - and thought the extra lane 'opening' was a good idea. I'm sure, or I didn't see any, of these lay-by's which are being talked of, to replace the hard shoulder for broken down vehicles. So as much as it's a good idea, it could also be lethal in the wrong weather and our present lack of daylight.

Fine as long as the hard shoulder is clean, smooth, wide and has no drains butting up to the kerb.

A while back I'd took the M1 home from Windsor through the roadworks rather than going futher round the M25 back up the A1M. Through the roadworks the lanes narrowed and put you over onto the hard shoulder. It was a bloody nightmare with the stiff, limited travel suspension on my Pug GTi. In the end I flicked out a lane, as there was very little traffic around so I wasn't 'blocking' anyone.

Gather the scheme DOES work on the M42 though?

Ian

Hard shoulder lanes are notorious for harbouring puncture rendering stuff and being narrow. I guess it might be different if they were purpose built as an extra lane but the whole idea is crackpot imo - Where do people park in emergency?

In effect they are saying that hard shoulders are getting dumped. Also there is the potential for much confusion and more incidents.

[ QUOTE ]

So as much as it's a good idea, it could also be lethal in the wrong weather and our present lack of daylight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suppose they would not 'activate' the hard shoulder as an extra lane if the conditions were such that it was unsafe, like fog or heavy rain.

At least somebody's using their head and thinking when it comes to transport! If only a similarly enlightened view could be had on road safety...

I have used the M42 stretch a few times, and to be honest, I think its a crap idea. The section is so short, it doesn't help the overall flow of traffic, plus, I don't know what happens when you're in the slow (hard shoulder) lane, and you have to stop/breakdown. I assume someone watching a camera magically stops the tailgating trucks and fences you off with a wave of their wand. The southbound section is confusing, just before the A45/Brum airport exit, with no hard shoulder, barriers up to the edge of the road, and confusing signage, plus the ever constant speed cameras too.

Gordon, spend some money on public transport PLEASE !

[ QUOTE ]

The section is so short, it doesn't help the overall flow of traffic

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always flowed well when I've been on it when the m'way has been busy. Maybe you drove a different M42...

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what happens when you're in the slow (hard shoulder) lane, and you have to stop/breakdown. I assume someone watching a camera magically stops the tailgating trucks and fences you off with a wave of their wand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all monitored via cameras, so yes, apart from fencing you off, they close the lane by switching the signs above the lanes to closed rather than open.

[ QUOTE ]

Gordon, spend some money on public transport PLEASE !

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're just being feckin stupid ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Gather the scheme DOES work on the M42 though?

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of ROLLEY~14.GIF

OK in some respects but does cause confusion with it being a bit in/out/in/out shake etc between a few junctions. Also has the potential to cause mini snarl ups (and poss accidents & road rage) when you suddenly have a load of traffic suddenly trying to get out of a lane they thought was ok.

I'm not wholly convinced and think it's done as a cheap way out - more money to sp*k away on quangos, consultants and the like SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

A traffic officer I worked with a few weeks ago told me that the M62 hard shoulder is only swept of debris once a year. Wouldn't fancy trundling through broken glass, bits of wood and metal, and odd shoes. I presume this scheme attracts better upkeep?

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do they sweep the other lanes? Presumably never because the passage of cars keeps them clean. So therefore I guess the thinking is that if the hard shoulder is used as a lane regularly it'll keep itself clean just like lane one (for example) does now.

This is a really bad idea IMO purely on the grounds of safety. I was caught on the M25 a few weeks back between J5 and 6 (10 miles in 6 hours shocked.gif) after an artic overturned and the thing that struck me was how fu%$ed you would be if the emegency services had to get to you e.g. engine fire, heart attack. The only way anyone could have got to you was by helicopter (where would you land?) or stopping on the opposite carriageway (in the fast lane?).

Accidents and congestion are inevitable hence handing over the hardshoulder to general traffic is not a good move.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

- Where do people park in emergency?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do they park now on dual carriageways that don't have a hard shoulder (but are also 70mph one way roads)?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Such roads are considerably shorter than M'ways and traffic is usually slower flowing by comparison.

[ QUOTE ]

OK in some respects but does cause confusion with it being a bit in/out/in/out shake etc between a few junctions. Also has the potential to cause mini snarl ups (and poss accidents & road rage) when you suddenly have a load of traffic suddenly trying to get out of a lane they thought was ok.

I'm not wholly convinced and think it's done as a cheap way out - more money to sp*k away on quangos, consultants and the like SAUER0421.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

....Just like cycle paths - Stop-start, inconsistent, dangerous. Would be okay if done the way Germans do it.