Are Q7's too expensive?

Dave

Is it me or are these things dear?

I went in the other day to spec up a 3.0 tdi and put on the things i expect now in a car such as Sat Nav, xenon lights and bose. By the time i had finished the thing was around £45,000 :eek:

When matey told me the price, I just had to walk away and think about it!

Maybe I'm getting old, but £45K seems a lot to me. My kids are 11,10 and 7 and we need a seven seater, but they will trash the interior..

hmmm.. back to the drawing board.. or maybe i will look 2nd hand.:confused:

Subaru B9 Tribeca?

Ugly as sin yes. And not as roomy. But you could get a new SE7 for half the price of that Q7 with as many (if not more) toys. (Ignore list price - Subaru can't give them away).

If you can live with the exterior looks (I personally think it's gorgeous inside) it's an awful lot of car for the money.

Only available as a 3.0 petrol, but it's a good engine.

we just been through the whole family car and my Mrs wanted something Q7 like. Luckily I kept it im my trousers so I only got 2 nippers to worry about :P and dont need the benefits of 7 seats.

You'd get all 3 kiddies with appropriate seats into a Range Rover - better car tan the Q7 (IMO) - second hand there are some bargains to be had. Thing with the Q7 is that once you are using the rear most seats it has no luggage space to speak of - so all that extra size in car ad you are no better off than if you had got a Zafira.

Because the kids invariably want to bring along a friend, or granny wants to come etc.

I know the problem. I'm forever using the Disco3 when I'd prefer to be in the 535d but I need more space. Even the five series is narrow in the back once you start using booster seats etc.

• 3 weeks later...

have you driven one dave? they really are the worst car in the audi line up IMO.

allroad handles much better - has just as much room - and guzzles less!

I cant believe the lack of bootspace in a car thats as big as a bus!

Yes, we had a 3.0tdi and we both thought it was ok.

It looks huge from the outside but we thought it drove ok and really didn't feel it's size when inside.

Boot space isn't great with 7 up, but then it's much better than the Zaferia and the verso we have had before.. With only the 5 seats it's as big as my RS6 in the back.

My biggest concern was the power and how it would be out of junctions.. but no problems there.. it's quick enough.. no S/RS car but will suit the wife.

Of course she's smitten, probably due to it's presence on the road and the ride height...

me.. I'm still not convinced.

Yes, we had a 3.0tdi and we both thought it was ok.

It looks huge from the outside but we thought it drove ok and really didn't feel it's size when inside.

Boot space isn't great with 7 up, but then it's much better than the Zaferia and the verso we have had before.. With only the 5 seats it's as big as my RS6 in the back.

My biggest concern was the power and how it would be out of junctions.. but no problems there.. it's quick enough.. no S/RS car but will suit the wife.

Of course she's smitten, probably due to it's presence on the road and the ride height...

me.. I'm still not convinced.

Dave - I don't see the problem. It seems to tick all of the boxes apart from one i.e. performance. In that case, surely the 6.0 V12 TDi is the obvious engine choice to meet your requirements........................

:beer:

Sidicks

If you want a 4WD (but not low ratio box) people carrier they are fine. The 3.0TDi drives ok and has had a torque boost since they came out. Remember that the boot seats are not huge though.

IMHO its not too big to drive or park.

I must admit that when I drove one on an "Audi Quattro" day, I was quite impressed, but it's not really my kind of thing. I think I would rather have a Q7 than an X5 or Tourag though.

Am very keen to see how the new Q5 will be priced, as this could be a possibility for Mrs Sidicks replacement, maybe allowing me to keep the 911 a bit longer.

:beer:

Sidicks

Couldn't agree more Dave

I've got a 3.0 tdi on loan at the moment whilst Audi replace my DRC (a whole other story!!) and it's quite pleasant really for wafting around the place. Loads of toys (love the reversing camera), very comfortable, and lots of road presence - I've been genuinely surprised by how much attention it gets too!

• 2 years later...

I can't believe that people are on here suggesting Toyota's and Subaru's to someone looking for a car with the class and presence of an Audi Q7!

Come on guys....get real!

I have owned a Touareg, an X5, a Range Rover and now the Q7 - I would still have the Q7 over all of them. As for the Toyota and the Subaru - they are not even in the same league!

Each to their own, having owned 2x Toyota Amazon 4.2 Tdi's, a 3.1 Td trooper, a 2.5 TD jeepcherokee (cr4p), a 2.7 Td maverick and now a 3.0 Tdi S-line Q7, I have to say the Amazon beats them all on space, power and reliability. Quite an old car now, but a class beater in it's day. And let's face it, what do you see in all the programs about driving through the deserts, jungles, snow outback etc, 99% Toyota Amazons.

I can't believe that people are on here suggesting Toyota's and Subaru's to someone looking for a car with the class and presence of an Audi Q7!

Come on guys....get real!

I have owned a Touareg, an X5, a Range Rover and now the Q7 - I would still have the Q7 over all of them. As for the Toyota and the Subaru - they are not even in the same league!

q7 hmm...handling is dire. you need the 4.0tdi to have some oomph and considering its size there's feck all room in the boot.

its presence isnt exactly a positive thing necessarily either.

new x6 has presence...it looks yum and mean.