The plight of the UK's motor industry

Dave

While carmakers are finding it difficult to shift their vehicles from the forecourt, the signs are they are not prepared to sacrifice their profits by dropping prices.

This paragraph is what makes me have no sympathy for them. I feel for the poor people losing their jobs, or having their wages cut, but beyond that, nothing.

I concur with you Sponge, IMO to help shift some metal they should be reducing the cost of ownership by extending their warranties and lowering the APR's. For example:

Audi Warranty USA: 4 Years or 50,000 miles, 4 Years Roadside, First serivce free.

Audi Warranty UK: 3 Years + 3 Years Roadside

Audi (Most of Europe): 2 Years + 2 Years Roadside.

Tricky one huh. :crackpipe:

Selling less units at max price = increased raw material prices, more exclusivity, maintain 2nd hand values as less cars coming onto market

Selling more units at cheaper price = cheaper raw material prices, less exclusivity, 2nd hand prices die, brand loses "image"

From customers point of view, why buy a say 30k premium car when no job security.

same customer wouldnt buy a 25k car or a 20k one.

so only way to improve it is take risk of long term car ownership from customer. eg rolling lease contracts. you pay £500/month for <1000 miles/month and can hand car back any time with no charge.

problem then is they'll have millions of nearly new cars on their hands. but they could lease those at £450/month, £400/month etc.

maybe they should get rid of the idea of a sale price, and just quote rental prices?

this would encourage manufacturers to make the cars last longer - which is better for the environment than any nonsense biofuel battery/elec power gibberish. less raw material usage overall.

maybe they should get rid of the idea of a sale price, and just quote rental prices?

Totally agree.. that is the way forward..

want a corsa?.. £100 a month

Want an Audi A4?.... £300 a month

Want an Aston ?: .. £700 a month

Get the metal moving and some money coming in.. long term contracts @ around 3 years..

Heres the real thing, do you really want to buy a new car, a new tv, a new anything?

Road Sweeper or merchant banker, the credit was there for you or you had the reddies. Isnt that why we are in this situtation we all bought so much we couldent possible need to buy something new?

For me it will be another year, another new car. I will take a passing look at the A3, be great by shite dealers, long waiting times for cars i might be intreasted. Expensive servicing costs with the feeling in back of my mind of is this car going to make it through 17K of London traffic....

I think the issue is all businesses have to be flexible, the motor industries cries when it cant deal. The music industry breaks out sweats over the cassettes, over CD writers, MP3's.

Really, eveyone needs to just get to grips and move on from these whiners!

I concur with you Sponge, IMO to help shift some metal they should be reducing the cost of ownership by extending their warranties and lowering the APR's. For example:

Audi Warranty USA: 4 Years or 50,000 miles, 4 Years Roadside, First serivce free.

Audi Warranty UK: 3 Years + 3 Years Roadside

Audi (Most of Europe): 2 Years + 2 Years Roadside.

Alternativley help it by buying a British car just like I did (n't) :)

The fall in used prices is the killer.

One of my major customers is Toyota and I've said for a while that they should extend their warranties. It is all about risk perception and I'd imagine with the current economy people are looking for financial peace of mind; a warranty extension might just do it, in part at least.

Trouble is though that it might be looked upon as a short term fix as the typical car buying cycle then increases from 3 years to 5. Doesn't help sell cars in the mid term.

We are now in a very strange situation in the car market:

New isn't moving. End of story. Delaers are trying as hard as they can and manufacturers are offering silly discounts and 0% finance (even with zero deposit) and it still isn't working.

Used cars on the other hand are a completely different story:

We are REALLY busy. Many of our car dealers have sold more used since the start of the year than they have in the same period in previous years. The only problem is (and its quite a big one) replacing the cars they have sold with decent ones at reasonable prices. Auction prices have gone through the roof due to a shortage of used stock. As main dealers aren't doing new there is a distinct lack of p/x cars to filter through to the used market (although there will be a fair few hitting the market in the next few weeks as 1car1.com have gone bust). Dealers are refusing to give discounts off used cars as they know they can sell them. Its isn't just small cars either, everything is moving!

I'm sure others in the trade on here will be able to confirm the above.

:roflmao: In your dreams bud :grin:

Sorry, should have been £20,000 a month, to account for the depreciation :P

Saying that have you seen the new 3.0tdi Cayenne? :eek:

I have. And no thanks. To any Cayenne. One of my co-directors used to have one. Feckin hideous thing and the interior was about 8 times worse than the (bloody nice) Touareg.