Audi S4 supercharged V6 2009 - Review....

RedRobin

That's wierd. I always thought the Passat syncro/4motion had the 2.8 V6 (Audi, and mounted longitudinally/north-south!) engine along with the quattro drive train.

Hmmmm.

The VR engines always reserved for use in VW pocket rockets.

I have just had a quick check on ETKA, and the Passat Syncro/4Motions had the Audi V6 engine and quattro drivetrain.

And then continued with the V6 3.2 R32 (once again, the Audi V6 and not the VW V'R'6)

Hence the difference in sound when an Golf R32 goes past as opposed to a TT V6. +++

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do I win a prize for spotting the location as Biddestone?

....I picked her up from Milltek at the JapFest at Castle Combe and then called on friend John Carter (fellow TSNer) who is an Audi-phile and he showed me some local Wiltshire B-roads to try her out on. Hence, when we came to Biddestone it was a very obvious photo opportunity. It was sunny and she was still clean at that stage.

Prize would have been a ride in the S4 but I had to give her back to Milltek.

S4_dirtyrear.jpg

When did the S2's come out, as I think the S4's come out in 93/94?) In the UK that is.

The original Audi 100 based S4 with the same 2.2 5 Cyl turbo?

[pedant mode/ on] Even though you could get Audi quattro avants (F and G reg) with a detuned 2.2 turbo? (165 BHP?) [pedant mode /off]

Which quattro Avants are you referring to Cruiser?

The original aerodynamic jobs. The last iteration before the new 100 came out had turbo engines

Here's a link to some foreign site with it (and a picture)

Yahoo! Image Detail for www.nsu-welt.de/Fahrzeuge/andere/Audi_100/Turbo_Quattro_von_hinten.jpg

Although not an Avant in the picture, they did build them in the Avant shape.

post-4326-137914432955_thumb.jpg

Fantastic post RR +++

I'v only just briefly scanned through it and i'm looking forward to reading it properly later on.

Sprint Blue is my colour of choice. It's funny how some like it and some loath it :o

BTW, the stupid bint that flipped her car........how many different kinds of tyres does she want on her car :eek:

The original aerodynamic jobs. The last iteration before the new 100 came out had turbo engines

Here's a link to some foreign site with it (and a picture)

Yahoo! Image Detail for www.nsu-welt.de/Fahrzeuge/andere/Audi_100/Turbo_Quattro_von_hinten.jpg

Although not an Avant in the picture, they did build them in the Avant shape.

It wasn't the "same" engine but I see where you're coming from. My Audi knowledge 1988 backwards is a bit sketchy!

Fantastic post RR +++

I'v only just briefly scanned through it and i'm looking forward to reading it properly later on.

Sprint Blue is my colour of choice. It's funny how some like it and some loath it :o

BTW, the stupid bint that flipped her car........how many different kinds of tyres does she want on her car :eek:

....Sprint Blue appears to be a 'Marmite' colour. I guess that the average Audi buyer is a bit conservative in their taste.

That woman who flipped her car said that a friend of hers did exactly the same a month before! She was a real 'county' type and seemed very snobbish. I hope the Police breathalysed her.

I was going to say that looks like Biddestone too Dave.

I really like the new S4, and have to say I thought it sounded fantastic with the stock exhaust, far better than the old V8 S4, much meatier, I don't think that many people will feel the need to upgrade the exhaust to be honest.

I agree with Garcon that with the DSG it makes it a really nice package. In 18 months when I no longer need the A6 size wise and these are down at £30k I will definitely have a bash with one.

The balance of it is far better than other Audis, and being DSG you don't have the problem with the pedals being too far offset, it really is a nice car. It has an electronic slip diff at the back, which is a must have option imho.

The one at Norwich is grey but it has loads of alu trim for the rails, grille and around the windows which I really think spoils it, the dealer said that black optics were not an option on it which seemed bizarre. I think the grey would look better without all the chrome, much sportier and less 1990s. ;)

There is a Black styling pack (Order code 4ZM) which became available on the 2010 model year. I did order it on mine, but later changed it for rear parking sensors. The dealer only mentioned a black grille which I thought £300 to have a just a black grille was a bit much. Price & Spec guide doesn't expand on what is included in the Black styling pack and dealers as usual are pretty clueless about the cars they sell :smashfreak:.

I really like the new S4, and have to say I thought it sounded fantastic with the stock exhaust, far better than the old V8 S4, much meatier, I don't think that many people will feel the need to upgrade the exhaust to be honest.

.... :eek: :shocked:

But you'll hear much more of that great sound with a Milltek.

I actually saw an S4 a few months back, it was a silver avant and an Audi press car, it was the sound that made me look as he was reversing behind me, it had a deep throaty warble the sounded sublime. It made me stop the guy getting out of it and have a chat it sounded that good.

He had it on a long term review and was very impressed with it.

Surely you could only judge that properly if you had heard both? Have you Robin and what was the difference. :confused:

....Sure if you want to be scientific about it.

No I haven't heard a stock one yet but we all know that a Milltek tastefully amplifies what's there so that we hear more of it. That's what I'm enthusing about - Hearing more, not less, of the sound of that new S4 engine.

I had a Miltek on my S4 and didn't think that much of it really, didn't add enough, it was still really subtle.

Having said that I had come from a CSL which sounds like it is sucking in the planet through the induction system!!!

I had a Miltek on my S4 and didn't think that much of it really, didn't add enough, it was still really subtle.

That's what I liked about it. You could drive about without having it shouting.... but I always thought it had enough to it when you booted it. My experience is based on on the full system inc sport cats etc. I thought the non-resonated was too much.

It's great to have the choice though +++