New York food

Calm Chris

Plan to be in NY for a Valentines weekend of eating, drinking and merriment.

Has anyone been there over the Valentine period and would I be right in thinking that restaurant bookings before the 14th Feb date will be essential ?

Following on from that detail, could anyone that's been to NY in the last couple of years supply me with links to places that they wish to recommend ?

No interested in fine food, Euro or Asian food we have too much of that here in London. So grills, meat joints, TeX, Mex, west Indian, creole type places preferred.

Has anyone recently been to the sea food restaurant in central station ?

New York is big place ... where you staying? If you like seafood then I'd recommend Steamers Landing Its on the Hudson River, not far from the WTC and my NYC fav hotel the Hilton. Only worth it you are staying that side of town tho'

Or Redemption Grill NYC if you want the full in your face NYC grill bar, its on 2nd Ave. +++

Edited by Andy_Bangle

If you want a steak then I highly recommend Peter Luger in Brooklyn. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny - I go there every time I'm in town. You'd be best booking, I turned up on the off chance when I was in NYC in November and despite being a Wednesday night they were full and I waited about an hour for a table. Cash or debit card only.

And yeah, any restaurant worth visiting will be jam packed on the 14th so book up ASAP.

The food at Grand Central is OK, nothing fantastic though. The exception is the cheesecake from Juniors which is divine.

Jet lag meant I couldn't stay awake for Dinner when I was there so I became an expert at breakfasts!

The Brooklyn Diner is absolutely fantastic - but go to the original one just south of Central Park and not the new one in Times Square. The place is steeped in history and the foot is wonderful.

For a slightly cheaper option, go to the Market Diner - 42nd st I seem to recall - and just around the corner from the USS Intrepid Air/Sea/Space museum. Its got one of those wonderful sculpted aluminium fronts to it - fantastic. Really honest food and service too. Fun. Get those pancakes, sausages, strawberries, cream and syrup in!

My favourite place for breakfast was either Everest Diner (about 5 minutes walk from the Brooklyn Bridge) or Murray Hill Diner at Lexington & E. 33rd Street.

The first one is very popular with the Coppers so it's very very busy most of the morning.

Katz's Deli is well worth visiting for lunch. It still plays on the scene from 'When Harry Met Sally' and gets very busy but the food is really good. If you go then don't lose your ticket! You get given a ticket when you enter and use that to pay with but if you lose it you're supposed to pay $50.

• 3 weeks later...

Went last weekend, arrived Friday morning and left Monday night, it was cold !

Eating included Lugers for steaks, Grand Central Oyster bar for fish, a couple of post mexicans, a few Irish bars and various diners.

Local to Park Av was pretty expensive even for basic stuff, over on 8th, 9th and 10th avenues (sort of Hells Kitchen way) was the bargain zone with classic diners, american, mexican etc.

Did the 102nd floor of the Empire State, did the Rock, Staten Island Ferry (free) for the Statue of Liberty, walked over Brooklyn bridge, saw the WTC area, China town, Soho, Little Italy- pretty well covered everything apart from north of central park.

The subways were easy and $8.25 got you an unlimited day pass.

Splashed out and did the helicopter tour $210 each for 20 minutes and that was really fun.

Even got to a sports bar for the Chelsea v Arsenal game, also watched some of the Superbowl game on Sunday night- I still don't understand how anyone can like American Football, it's so fecking boring.

post-5943-137914442815_thumb.jpg

post-5943-137914442819_thumb.jpg

post-5943-137914442823_thumb.jpg

post-5943-137914442828_thumb.jpg

post-5943-137914442832_thumb.jpg

I love New York when it is cold. I'll be back there either late November or January for a week with my other half and a couple of friends. We'll be hiring an appartment rather than staying in a hotel. The place we're looking at hiring is just around the corner from Peter Luger which is nice and convenient :)

What did you make of the 102nd floor at the Empire State Building? I was somewhat dissapointed. The view was barely any different and the plastic windows that had been scratched to hell made it impossible to get any decent pictures.

What did you make of the 102nd floor at the Empire State Building? I was somewhat dissapointed. The view was barely any different and the plastic windows that had been scratched to hell made it impossible to get any decent pictures.

Agreed!, i found the empire state disappointing.. there are so many better things to see. The top of the twin towers was stunning and you could see for literally miles!

I love New York too, and would put it in my top 5 destinations.

The 102nd floor was a waste of the 'extra' $15 it cost to go from the 86th floor.

The plexiglass was clear, fairly new (I think)- but the camera picture via the glass were poor and other than now being able to say I've been above 100 floors was really nothing special.

Same with the revolving restaurant at the Marriott off Times Sq, nothing special and $45 for 2 x drinks was another example of capitalism at it's worst.

We're definitely go back, more likely a mid town Hotel next time- the Park Avenue area was just too pretentious and too much rip off USA for me.

Maybe I'm guilty of having working class roots, and being annoyed at meals that were average taste, average service and $100+ More so when for 30% of that figure you can eat yourself in to a fat induced illness over on 8th -10th.

New Yorkers are a good bunch, didn't meet any wrong uns and had a fair laugh with a few.

and being annoyed at meals that were average taste, average service and $100+ More so when for 30% of that figure you can eat yourself in to a fat induced illness over on 8th -10th.

Few Americans know good food.. so much of it is average and they think large portions makes up for poor taste. I've eaten on both coasts of America and seldom had a meal to remember.