iPad 3G

Rachel

A friend needs an iPad asap.

Any ideas? I guess you can't just get them off the shelf at the moment? :confused:

No, Britain has run out apparently.. I've two on order and the shipping status is having just left China. I think it'll be the end of the month before they start shipping.

Saying that, i think you can get hold of non-3G versions fairly easily.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, Britain has run out apparently.. I've two on order and the shipping status is having just left China. I think it'll be the end of the month before they start shipping.

Saying that, i think you can get hold of non-3G versions fairly easily.

Well if they went to PC World on the Silverlink in North Tyneside they could pick up the 3G version too. One of our guys went and bought one yesterday and they said they had no problems with stock (he had a choice of the full range).

Might be worth ringing a few places.

I don't use it Dave, but I would if it wasn't for three things:

1. We use Microsoft Exchange in the office and it allows me to have my mailbox in the office, on my Macbook, on the iPad and the iPhones. All a bit of overkill, but you never know when you might forget a device or three. I've forgotten what the ROLMAO smiley is.

2. I am a fan of DropBox. Give it a go, it is very clever if a little laborious for the initial sychronisation if you have a lot of files to start off with. I have every single file synchronised within minutes, wherever I am.

3. We use a VPN and something called RWW when out of the office, so I'm never really disconnected from files and stuff if I need them.

To be honest I think I've gone way over the top and it has all got a little confusing at time. Add to this the fact that everyone thinks it is very funny that I carry a paper diary with me everywhere....and I've still forgotten what the ROFLMAO smiley is.

• 2 weeks later...

It's OK for them to find bugs, and to promise to fix them - that's the nature of software development isnt it? It's completely another for them to be so dismissive - Just turn off graphic switching is not an answer. It more than halves your battery life for a start.

What about users who get the corruption as soon as they login??? I don't think they're taking the problem seriously enough really.

I agree. There will be a lot of MacBook users getting the iPad too and I'd bet very few find this before suffering the consequences of it.

I won't be changing mine though. It is still getting very limited use. That said, it'd be getting even less use if Apple had sorted OS4 for the iPad. The multi-tasking capabilities would probably make me dump the laptop altogether. I have had a play about on my 3GS today and it is very impressive. I am not convinced that that task management is quite right though because the apps out of focus do seem to get significantly less processing power than I expected (particularly Safari). Might just have been a few bad examples.

Was a bit surprised to get a response from somebody at Avatron - see below:

I just read your blog post about Air Display. This part caught my eye:

“I’ve caught wind of some posts over at the Avatron Support Forums stating that there is an issue with the latest MBPs, 10.6.4, and external screens - however the responses from Avatron seem slightly dismissive. I.e just turn off the graphics switching.”

So first, yes, it's a nasty bug in Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and we take it very seriously. We spent a lot of time banging our heads against it before finally concluding that there is absolutely nothing we can do to fix it that doesn't cause even worse side effects. So instead, on affected machines, we turn off automatic switching at installation time, and present an alert explaining that we have done that and advising people not to turn it back on again.

Now, if I were still at Apple, I'd have just checked out the Window Server source code, found a fix for the bug, and sent it over to the OS team. I'd have phoned their engineering project manager to make sure it was assigned the high priority I think it deserved. Then they'd have rolled it into the next software update, and the problem would now be gone in Mac OS X 10.6.4.

But as third-party developers, all we can do is identify the bug and report it at bugreport.apple.com. We did that, of course. I've called everybody I can think of at Apple who might have some influence with that team to escalate the priority for fixing it, but I have no way to see whether or not it has been taken seriously. One Apple engineer tells me that for some reason the bug is a political land mine and he had to back away carefully to avoid having his leg blown off. I have no idea what that means.

In your blog, you say, “Come on guys, get your stuff together. Poor show.” I'm curious what you recommend. I'm out of ideas.

I've replied essentially saying what they could do is communicate better. Better communication makes your customers feel looked after doesn't it?

I agree. There will be a lot of MacBook users getting the iPad too and I'd bet very few find this before suffering the consequences of it.

I won't be changing mine though. It is still getting very limited use. That said, it'd be getting even less use if Apple had sorted OS4 for the iPad. The multi-tasking capabilities would probably make me dump the laptop altogether. I have had a play about on my 3GS today and it is very impressive. I am not convinced that that task management is quite right though because the apps out of focus do seem to get significantly less processing power than I expected (particularly Safari). Might just have been a few bad examples.

Hi Chris, IPhone multitasking is a combination of illusion and background services - so most apps are literally hibernated when not the foreground task.

Its clever marketing by apple - it does say switch between tasks without hurting foreground app performance - and thats why!

Things like location requests, gps tracking, notifications and audio can be run in the background, but most things dont - they get 0% of the cpu. nada. zilch. :grin:

Hi Chris, IPhone multitasking is a combination of illusion and background services - so most apps are literally hibernated when not the foreground task.

Its clever marketing by apple - it does say switch between tasks without hurting foreground app performance - and thats why!

Things like location requests, gps tracking, notifications and audio can be run in the background, but most things dont - they get 0% of the cpu. nada. zilch. :grin:

Ah. Well that would explain a lot. I did wonder if I was imagining things or not.

Mind you, it still makes a big difference and is a huge improvement.

I tried obtaining an iPad 32GB WiFi version whilst in New York Last week and they are flying off the shelves there also!

The price difference made it worth looking into - the day I left my reservation email arrived! Typical!

I got the iP4 yesterday - loving it compared to the 3G that I had its so quick. Just need a case - quite concerned that if I drop it - its over and out!

Cheers

Tone

• 3 months later...