Winter wheels and tyres?

DanG

Begining to think that even with quattro, the 19" 255 p-zero wheels and tyres are just not going to be that great if things get icy / snowy. Drive is long and very steep and house is at the bottom of a valley.... was stuck for days last year.

So anyone got any suggestions about winter wheel sizes and tyre choices? back in the states we ran 17" with full winter tyres on the old A4 from Nov through April.

Looking to buy a set, probably 18"s for the A6 but with some really good, almost off road, not massive width rubber. any ideas?

thanks

I was driving my new A4 allroad in the slush with summer tyres (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT) only a couple of weeks ago and was going sidewards at 20mph in the town centre. There was no grip whatsoever, so had to quickly slam the winter tyres on.

The Audi winter tyre/wheel program is a good price, but if you want something different there are a few options (re: rottenbend's links) +++

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - the Audi UK winter tyres and wheels deal are not suitable for my car apparently.

'S-line Le Mans models have low suspension so there are grounding issues'.

Only option is to buy 4 winter tyres (255/35 R19) and swap them over at £290 a corner..... just for rubber!

Will get a second opinion on that and maybe look for a set of 18' as they are clearly available on the configuration tool.

There's a winter option on all models of BMW, so I'm sure Audi will do the same. On the M5 you go from 255-40-19 & 285/35/19 to 245/45/18 front and rear. The higher profile and thinner width cope better with cutting through the snow and getting heat into the tyre. If you can get 18's to fit round M5 brakes, I'm sure you can get them round the A6.

+++

Quick update - the Audi UK winter tyres and wheels deal are not suitable for my car apparently.

'S-line Le Mans models have low suspension so there are grounding issues'.

Only option is to buy 4 winter tyres (255/35 R19) and swap them over at £290 a corner..... just for rubber!

Will get a second opinion on that and maybe look for a set of 18' as they are clearly available on the configuration tool.

Sound like cr@p to me Dan. I've got the 19" Le Mans alloys on mine. They can be swapped for 17" wheels and winter tyres according to local Audi dealer. However, as I've already stated in another thread they are on back order and will take up to 3 months to come. Or the just don't want to sell them.

Edited by rottenbend

Still sounds like Audi UK BS. Check on the tyre pressure chart for your model and see what wheel size options there are. The only thing that stops you downsizing the wheels is the brake clearance.

As for "grounding issues" again, pure BS. If you downgrade from 255/35 R19 to 245/40R18 then there is only a .3 of an inch difference in diameter. Plus you'll save 80 quid a corner, they only reason Audi says you can have it is because they don't stock it!

post-2214-137914459651_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy_Bangle

• 2 weeks later...

Now spoken to three different Audi parts departments, one who said they wont fit and two who said Audi do 17" with winter tyres etc for the A6 S-Line @ £1,100......

But I will have to wait until March until the parts arrive...................!

Tech: 'Do you want to go ahead with that order?'

Me: 'Seriously, you want me to answer that??'

:ffs:

But I will have to wait until March until the parts arrive...................!

Just read an old post of mine above:

, they only reason Audi says you can have it is because they don't stock it!

What did I tell you! It's just more Audi BS as they are in stock with Audi AG.

Once you've confirmed what wheel you require buy them off ebay.de (Link to the standard 17" A6 winter wheels & tyres).

Dan, attached are the p/n's and wheel sizes for the A6 winter tyre/wheels program.

This guy ships to the UK for 69 euros: Audi A6 4F S-Line 17 Zoll Winterreifen Alu Winterräder bei eBay.de: Kompletträder (endet 08.01.11 23:55:31 MEZ) This one look good too: http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=sv|en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.de%2FAlu-Winterrader-Audi-A6-Typ-4F-%2F260709303259%3Fpt%3DAuto_Komplettr%C3%A4der%26hash%3Ditem3cb37c43db (google translate is your friend :) )

BTW, none are personal recommendations - just suggestions.

post-2214-137914460221_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Obviously, it's absolute nonsense that the 17 inch winter wheels Audi offer won't fit the Le Mans S-line.

The official delivery time from time of order is 6-8 weeks. They usually arrive in 5 weeks.

If it helps you, I have three sets for the C6 A6 (NOT allroad, these use different size tyres) due 28th December - 6th January. Two are already pre-sold and the third is for first come, first served. You would obviously need to collect from Ipswich though. Would be happy to do you 5% for your trouble though.

Also have one of each of the following Winter Wheels due in next week if anyone is desperate;

B8 A4 (not S4) - In stock and waiting to go on a car.

Q5 - Due 24th December

Q7 - Due 28th December

Edited by Nelson_R32

Please excuse a non-petrol head for any ignorance in this my first posting and itslength.

I have A6 avant 2.7tdi multitronic 2007 . The tyres, which are the exact same spec as when it came from the factory, are bridgestone re050 225/50/17 98Y XL. I've already had one bump in the last round of ice (Slow speed, front left corner into a lampost, cost the insurers £2.5k and me undoubtedly plenty on my next insurance renewal despite still having a protected NCD). perhaps a bit late for this round but I am now finally trying to sort some winter tyres. I have never changed a set of wheels ever (simply not interested) only ever tyre replacement due to wear/and tear. so I am happy with the idea of buying winter tyres with wheels ( I have somewhere to store them) but I don't give a stuff what the new wheels look like....

Audi dealer #1 (milton keynes) says "winter tyres are illegal in the UK" :confused:

audi dealer #2 (bedford) after MUCH pestering finally says I can have a set for 1200 quid in 6 weeks, packaged with 17" alloy wheels exactly the same as on the car now. If they had them in stock I would be much tempted to go in and handover the readies. however with the delay it makes sense to do some looking around. and I am not really bothered about alloys.

mytyres.co.uk, quotes me for a set of 16" steel wheels with tyres for way less money, based on me putting my car (a6 avant tdi 132kw) to their quote engine at mytyres.co.uk - A Complete Set of Wheels: Steel wheels with winter tyres

taking the highest end , it shows Continental WinterContact TS 830P 225/55 R16 99H M0 with steel wheels for 195/each (+pp). but it doesn't have the XL and is a lower speed. Do you have to get the same speed rating on winters or can you drop down (how many?). of course I am happy not to drive fast on uk wintry motorway the speed ratings are way over whats safe/sane/legal anyway. likewise the XL. is it legal without that? alternatively you can specify the exact size/speed/load you want on mytyres, but then it seems to be without wheels....I have tried contacting mytyres but got nowhere (no answer on phone / email).

the one thing I can't figure out is will the 16" wheel fit and be safe/legal on my car. the audi dealers wouldn't give me any official answer. everything about wheels on the 'net is to do with bigger flashy wheels. I want to know about smaller boring ones!

what I don't want to do is try to build it myself (i.e. buy tyres and wheels separately and give them to a fitter) because I am not feeling like I am sufficiently qualified to work that out. I want to buy a package from someone that is right for the car.

thanks for any help

Ian

If it helps you, I have three sets for the C6 A6 (NOT allroad, these use different size tyres) due 28th December - 6th January. Two are already pre-sold and the third is for first come, first served. You would obviously need to collect from Ipswich though.

PM sent.

+++

I have a set of 17" rims for sale which is what I had my winter tyres on.

I then bought some used winters off ebay, £250 for Dunlop Winter Sports with 7.5mm all round in 235/45/17 profile, made it unstoppable.

I was going to keep them 'just in case' but I will sell them for £150 collected if anyone is interested?

Audi's wheels are alloy ;)

I've got some 16 inch Audi Winter wheels with bridgestone winter tyres going on the quattro tomorrow :) Not the most attractive wheels in the world but they'll do the job, should look like something below.

Just an update for everyone, I sold my R32 3 months ago and i'm now on the lookout for a decent Corrado, which will bel be going into storage for winter, so they won't be needed for that :grin:

post-12508-137914460596_thumb.jpg