Non-Shouty/Argumentative Discussion About the RS3

Mac

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might well be a 1.9 Tdi s-line with the sound dubbed :uhoh:

For me, it's another case of, if it floats your boat, then why not (I won't mention the A word)? If I had £45k to spend on a car it probably wouldn't be an RS3, even if it was on the new platform. But anyone who wants to do or does, will get themselves a rather exclusive car that will out-perform the vast majority of cars on the road and I guess that's why they want it.

The only problem I have with cars like the RS3 and Golf R - is the price. Unless it has a 'out of the box' hand built engine, which was a complete one-off and bespoke chassis - then one can understand. A little. But to fit a mainstream car with a few extra parts and stick a premium of £20k on it is absurd. I would say A Focus RS would be a much better drivers choice - and that's without having driven either.

The other issue I have is with the power. WHY does anyone need that much power in a family hatch back..especially in the UK - where roads are rubbish and the price of fuel is so high.

The other issue I have is with the power. WHY does anyone need that much power in a family hatch back..especially in the UK - where roads are rubbish and the price of fuel is so high.

Umm, weren't you considering an E46 M3 with 343 bhp a few days ago? What on earth would you use all that power for?

I was very disappointedin theRS3 when i went into bedford audi to see one. In whiteit has zero presence, in fact mt thought werethat Audi starteda propper job, they did the front end which looks very RS like and then forgotabout the rest of the car. Ive always likedthe RS models, subtly flared rear arches but this lack all of thestyling queues.

I'm pretty sure its to do with the 4 wheel drive system. All 4 motion Golfs and A3s have always started to understeer before the 4 motion kicks in. The latest system is a lot quicker to respond but Audi felt the bigger tyre set up would help this more.
It may well work on th RS3, but I can't help thinking it's a short cut solution that must have side effects, and that it could have been avoided with more engineering leeway.

An RS without permanent 4 wheel drive (e.g. Torsen) is an engineering compromise. If it had Torsen they could adjust the front rear bias instead...