Kia Sportage - taking over the UK?

NewNiceMrMe

I seem to be seeing a mass of Kia Sportage's on the road.

Every day, every part of the country. They're everywhere.

I think they look okay. They start at £17,500, so they're cheap enough for a brand new 4x4.

The question is, are they actually any good? Has anyone on here every driven one and if you have, what was it like? I'm intrigued to know if someone knows something about why they've suddenly become so popular. Owner reviews on Revo are staggeringly good - 9/10 from over 1,500 reviews! Autocar give them 3.5 out of 5 stars, Car magazines long term review made it clear they thought it was exceptional for the money. WhatCar? say it is too 'off the pace' to challenge rivals. But something is working, because I'm expecting one to replace the office water cooler soon with their rate of appearance.

I'm just genuinely interested to know why they're suddenly started being so popular.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What Luke and TS have said.

Not so many round here though - we all drive minimum £50k cars you know :P

I have noticed that some of the SUVs around here have been downgraded from Land Rover products (Freeloaders, RR Sports) and BMWs (X5s, mostly) to Korean alternatives since the recession really started to bite.

Although it has also gone the other way - ageing X5s are now cheap enough for those who previously had Korean SUVs to be considering purchase.

Slightly OT: Got 'upgraded' by Hertz (Manchester Airport) last week to a Kia Cee'ed auto diesel - I had booked a Insignia so go figure. Anyhow, I was pleasantly surprised by the car, it had 4k on the clock and I ragged the nuts off it. On the M62 uphill 4 lane section (Huddersfield?) I was doing 100mph and it kicked down when floored - not sure my RR would do that. Drove about 400miles and only used half a tank :eek: It had all toys too, although was a bit unwieldy at speed due to the light steering and fuel saver tyres but overall a perfectly adequate vehicle.

My mum has one-

gubese8a.jpg

What's not to like, reliable, 7 year warranty, loaded with kit such as sat nav, panoramic opening roof, bluetooth, ipod connectivity etc etc, excellent build quality, good quality materials, easily a match for anything else on the market, and better than the mid range stuff like Ford, Vauxhall etc.

The only think they haven't got the hang of yet is faking the C02 figures for lower tax, which is why they aren't popular as company cars at the moment, once they sort that, they'll be everywhere.

They seem to be replacing the Nissan Quashquai as the mini SUV type vehicle of choice around here, most likely because they are better specced, better built, and have a better (by miles) warranty, not to mention being cheaper.

You get that length of warranty, a big car with a few toys, reliability, and so on. I'd imagine the warranty aids residuals too.

Am I right in thinking though, that the 7 year warranty is only for the original owner? So as someone buying second (third etc) hand I would not inherit that 7 year warranty?

I may be wrong but am sure I have heard caveats around these kind of warranties.

A quick Google reveals a bit more.

All the models I'm seeing are the latest shape. Apparently, they are going down a storm.

I'm guessing most are attracted by the £250 a month deal they're offering. £3k in, 36 months, £7k GMFV on 11,000 miles a year, 4.9% APR.

Dirt cheap motoring for anyone who wants a half decent looking car with a few toys (though I have to say on closer inspection you're not going to be amused for long in the entry level car).

Good car, not bad looking, plenty of spec excellent warranty whats not to like.

They are designed by the same guy that looked after Audi and was behind the TT, which is why you see elements in some of the cars. Seems they have been able to hit the sweet spot of value in the same way Nissan have with the Qashqai. +++

We took delivery of one just over a week ago - KX4 in the burnt orange colour. After considering a Freelander and an X1 or an older X5 the Kia was the obvious/easy choice. Not only was it a large amount cheaper than the Freelander or X1 with comparative specification but it was better to drive, has more internal space, a better warranty and is a better looking car too imho.

The dealer service was also the best I have ever experienced. Audi and VW could certainly learn a thing or two by spending a few weeks at either of the Kia dealerships I had contact with.

Initial impressions of the car are great. The internal plastics aren't as nice at the BMW or Land Rover but they are far from being 1990's Subaru-esque! Overall the interior is a really nice place to be and the leather is excellent. The engine in ours is a 181bhp two litre diesel - it could probably be a touch more refined but it drives very well and has more than enough torque for day to day driving. The gearchange is precise and the car is generally a doddle to drive.

Equipment wise it comes standard with reversing cameras, four wheel drive (can be made permanent), heated seats front and back, hill descent control, folding anti-glare mirrors, satnav, bluetooth, etc, etc, etc.....

With residuals being equal to if not better than its rivals then so long as you don't mind the badge it seems the obvious choice.

These are on the list for when Mrs Duisberg inevitably kills the family bus, I've been really impressed with Hyundai's and guess Kia is more of the same, only badge snobs would overlook the excellent mix of reliability, warranty, space and price. Plus, and this might sound daft, you don't look like a wannabe wag driving one unlke some 'prestige' 4X4 stuff.

The only think they haven't got the hang of yet is faking the C02 figures for lower tax

:roflmao:

Many a true word etc.

My S5 apparently only gives out 190g/km. And also does 35mpg combined and 42mpg on a run :crackpipe:

New Qashqai model coming out soon.

Line trials might be happening this very week in fact. Maybe.

Edited by Milo

See, I knew there'd be someone with a real world experience on here. Thanks Busby.+++

As I said, I think they're a decent looking car and there had to be a reason I am seeing them in droves.

The biggest irony of all of this is that as I pulled out of the office car park today....I spotted one. About 8 spaces from where I had been parked. I didn't take a picture cos I was on the phone by then but if it is there tomorrow I will. Not the prettiest of colours (a bit of a grey-brown) but the new shape looks likes a lot more than £17k.

I know the KX4 is the top end model Busby because I was on the website earlier. One thing I have read is that the Nav screen is poor, or specifically the orange/red colours used. Is that the same on yours or limited to the lower end models?

The sat nav in my mums is made by Kenwood, seems to be very good in use, ok, so it doesn't have google connectivity or any of that, but it's simple to operate, has excellent sound quality and integrates perfectly.

Can't say i've noticed any oddities with the lighting?

The only think they haven't got the hang of yet is faking the C02 figures for lower tax, which is why they aren't popular as company cars at the moment, once they sort that, they'll be everywhere.

They're not the only ones, though - VW have work to do, although the latest Golf platform seems to have fixed it for that size of vehicle. The Passat, Tiguan etc., are still a long way behind - and Ford aren't even at the party, aside from a few 1.6 Eco diesels - anything bigger and in particular anything with power shift, is just unviable these days. Only BMW and Mercedes seem to have truly cracked that one. (Aside from Toyota and Honda, who've cheated with hybrids)

The problem is, the c02 figures are largely bollox, how can two cars that achieve the same MPG, and therefore must be using the same amount of fuel, have such wildly different c02 figures?

Mercedes and in particular BMW have worked out a way of fudging the figures somehow, the cars don't have any particularly amazing or innovative technology in them, or do any better MPG than cars from Ford for example, the other manufacturers just haven't worked out how to work the system yet.

One thing I have read is that the Nav screen is poor, or specifically the orange/red colours used. Is that the same on yours or limited to the lower end models?

seems to be very good in use, ok, so it doesn't have google connectivity or any of that, but it's simple to operate, has excellent sound quality and integrates perfectly.

Can't say i've noticed any oddities with the lighting?

The sat nav in ours is fine too. Very straight forward to use and the screen is very easy to read. It also copes well in bright light conditions and automatically switches to the darker colours when the headlights are switched on.

I think the unit is the same across the entire range but could be wrong. Maybe this was an issue with earlier cars?

They have also just announced an upgrade to DAB which is a dealer fitted £250 bolt on which I am 99% sure to get as I have DAB in the other car and have found it to be excellent.

In fact, mentioning "dealer fit" reminds me of another plus to the Kia - no options. You simply pick which spec you like, choose the colour and away you go. There are loads of things that can be added at the dealer (side steps, etc) but it makes the whole buying process so much easier. Trying to spec some cars now is absurd!