Kia Sportage - taking over the UK?

NewNiceMrMe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to Wiki, Kia went bust in 1997 and were bailed out by Hyundai in 1998 - at which point Hyundai owned 51%, having outbid Ford for the business.

They now own a third of Kia.

Hyundai are a strange company - they've produced some awful cars (original Stellar), some dull but worthy cars (Pony, original Accent) - then some cars which were really quite good - like the S-Coupe, Accent MVi and 1st and 3rd generation coupes. (We won't mention the 2nd gen. with silly lights!). They also have that Genesis Coupe which really should have been brought to the UK). And now we have the Veloster - interesting but flawed.

What about Dacia, anyone see them going anywhere or are they destined to be a spectacular failure?

On the face of it, they appear very good value, the cheapest car costing around 6k, but the VW Citigo thing isn't a lot more, and has a far better brand image and, I would imagine, build quality, although i've no experience of Dacia whatsoever, so purely speculation.

I've seen a Dacia dealer somewhere, but can't remember where. It was attached to a Renault dealer and I have a vague recollection it was in a bit of a rubbish area....

Would love to see their sales figures over here.