C63 AMG's

fatcat

Glad you're loving it Rachel, it's a really great car.

Mine clicked over the 1,000 mile run-in period this week (that I'd been sticking too rigorously of course!) and I've been stretching it's legs a bit more.

Really properly impressed, so much more capable than I was expecting. Was pouring down this morning and in SPORT MODE (like BMW's MDM mode) and the 'box in S+ it WILL try and kill you, then try a bit more, then just when you think fcuk I'm dead it resists and puts the back-end where it should be. . . HUGE fun !

Love the crackle and pops on over-run in S, S+ & M. Tried Race Start but fluffed it as i'd switch traction off fully....... so ended up doing a 20yd rolling burn-out instead.

I do wish you could change the damper settings separately to the gearbox/throttle settings... the UK roads are pretty poor and I'd just like it in the soft damper setting 24/7. Something you could/can do on the M-Cars.

Rear tyres........... well......... I think they are going to be a consumable !

I haven't driven mine in anything but full manual mode (M) and probably never will... :P

The overrun sounds are great, esp. dropping from 3rd to 2nd. Same as the awesome "crack" noise under a lot of throttle shifting up a ratio at high revs. M3s just don't have that aural entertainment value.

I haven't tried RS yet, will wait for several thousand kms under its and my belt before attempting that. TBH, you just don't need it, it has that much get up and go from a standstill. I haven't lost a TL GP in it yet, as it just hooks up so quickly you're gone before the other folks have woken up to the fact the lights went green.

The gearbox/suspension really does remind me of the XKR. It would set appropriate harshness up depending on whether the car was in granny mode, a little bit of sport, or full on "mad mode". As many of our roads are no better than those in the UK, lack of independent suspension refinement was a major PITA in the XKR. I haven't noticed it yet while running in the new toy. :eclipse:

As for tyres, yes. I think the ratio will end up 3 sets of rears per single set of fronts. +++

Edited by Rachel
  • Like 1

I posted up a while back, Arsenals then captain, William Gallas's Merc done the same. Bloody awful and the wrap looked like my kids had done it! Must be fun in the winter sun for other drivers, not.

Wasn't that an SLR mc ?

Saw a E63 AMG estate on the A406 today, all bling and looking gangster. Got alongside it and the driver was an OAP lady- I was genuinely shocked.

• Like 1

Saw this in Trafford earlier today.

Drove past, and pulled up to get a pic I was that shocked.

Awful. :o

That car isn't that far away from me its been there for quite a while, there are often nice cars there that have been wrapped by them, that seems to be one of their own by the looks of it. 

It was Chris. I do some work for a customer of mine near Mill Hill. In one of the other flats, a guy has a business where he arranges/drops off/picks up various cars for players. Last time I was there there was a Lambo. Also Range Rovers with the Revere ruined packages.

• 4 weeks later...

So other than the b4stard now known as Bazza, has anyone else here in "the club" noticed if they are drinking oil?

I literally just got back from the final running in jaunt - 1624km on it, YAY! - let the engine settle for 5 mins (as per the book) then went looking for the dipstick!

Seems to be sitting just over 1/2 way (to full) between the min and max plastic bobs on the spiral dipstick. I've no idea how full it was when it was delivered (I'm not THAT anal or OCD), but there is very little black on the exhausts and it doesn't seem to be doing anything other than be marvelous. No sign it might be chewing up to 0.8l oil per 1000km! (also mentioned in owner's books) :uhoh:

One thing that is interesting, the coolant temp seems to vary (in the AMG mode screen) between 90-92C and the oil between 104-107C on most drives, up to 110C if given some...

That is a big, hot engine.

By comparison, the R36 oil gets to say somewhere between 87-93C depending on how hard I go.

I had the LSD oil change done yesterday as it clicked over 1,875 miles. To be honest, I've not opened the bonet to do anything but gaze at the engine, don't even know where the dipstick is!

It's a VERY big lump and warms up quickly. It also retains the heat for ages. Can leave it for three or four hours and it's still c55-60 degrees.

I'm totally smitten with the car, in fact I can't think of another car I've loved so much just from driving day to day. The E92 M3 I had was wonderful and the trips I did in it were great too, but I think they are reasons I remember it so fondly. Got a few trips lined il for 2014 which I think will be bonkers in the Merc.

• Like 1

I thought modern cars had seen the disappearance of oil drinking monsters.  But no, they still exist.

The X5 we had would drink a litre every 2 weeks.  It got ridiculous and we kept telling the local dealer and then another (purely because they were more 'en route' to MrsMe's offices).  They kept telling us it was normal.  Then we started getting the limp home issues.  First time it happened it went in to be looked at and we didn't get it again for about a month.  Then, it kept happening every two weeks.  Then every week.  Then daily.  Then constantly.

Time after time we moaned and I switched into sheer b*stard mode with the dealers and told them if it wasn't fixed for good we'd be ringing BMW and saying we had an 18 month old car that was now off the road and wanted a like for like replacement.  Telling a dealer you'll ring BMW is one thing.  Telling them you'll ring them and report a car as off the road with dealer dates and comments is something entirely different.

The car was then 'fixed' for about 6 weeks.  Then it started again.

We had been going to change it anyway as MrsMe's mileage increased (she did 38,000 miles in 18 months in it) and £500 a month fuel bills were starting to annoy us, but I couldn't recommend anyone bought an X5 50i purely because of our experience with the engine.

I'm still perplexed as to how such an advanced and modern engine can drink as much oil.  I'm also convinced ours wasn't the norm and developed a fault they never got to the bottom of.  However, even if it was a lemon (engine wise) I still couldn't recommend it to anyone just in case they suffered the same too.

Im firmly of the opinion that if a modern car drinks oil too frequently there is something not quite right.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

The 911 slowly makes it way through oil, but only very gradually, something under half a litre every six months.  Flat sixes are known for that, though, as they don't drain as well as a straight or V engine. 

The Caterham actually generates oil :uhoh: - I can do an oil change, fill it to the correct level, and it will stay at that level AND start to fill the catch tank. :blink: 

Land Rover - no idea, haven't looked.  Probably ought to :unsure:

I had the LSD oil change done yesterday as it clicked over 1,875 miles. To be honest, I've not opened the bonet to do anything but gaze at the engine, don't even know where the dipstick is!

It's a VERY big lump and warms up quickly. It also retains the heat for ages. Can leave it for three or four hours and it's still c55-60 degrees.

I'm totally smitten with the car, in fact I can't think of another car I've loved so much just from driving day to day. The E92 M3 I had was wonderful and the trips I did in it were great too, but I think they are reasons I remember it so fondly. Got a few trips lined il for 2014 which I think will be bonkers in the Merc.

Mine didn't come with the LSD, which lets me decide if I want one, and if so: an AMG one, a Quaife one or an Xtrac one or... They are apparently a Drexler clutch type unit.

The dip stick on mine is red and tucked up on the left rear of the engine (when looking at it from the front). Weirdly is is a spiral shaped "stick". A dipstick! In a 2013 high end German autobahnstormer...

As for MrMe's experience, yes not one of my babies chewed any between changes, and that is a significant sample of VWs, Porsches, Jaguar and now AMG. Yes I meant to add to my previous comment, that it doesn't seem to be oil hungry at all.

The dip stick on mine is red and tucked up on the left rear of the engine (when looking at it from the front). Weirdly is is a spiral shaped "stick". A dipstick! In a 2013 high end German autobahnstormer...

Are you sure that's not the auto-box dipstick? I thought Mercedes used electronic dipsticks?

Are you sure that's not the auto-box dipstick? I thought Mercedes used electronic dipsticks?

I think I said I checked its location in the book, sheesh... :P

The C63 uses a manual measuring device... The new ones will be like the Porkas and be electronic (though my 911 C4S had both a real and a digital dipstick).

• 1 month later...

Saw the MB dealer principal on Monday 23/12 @ 9am and he took me and my baby immediately around to the workshop and got me bounced to the head of the queue.

Left it there (bought a litre of top up oil too) and went back to the show room, where a mint C250 was waiting for me to use to go do my errands that morning. What a nicely screwed together little car, and the engine in sport mode was a surprise! As was the play around in a new s350 when I got back. :)

We then jumped back in to the principal's GL350 and went to see what the guys had found.

They had (of course, wouldn't you?) taken it for three hot test drives after looking at the diagnostics, and only found a single stored ECU fault code. So they reset it all, topped up my oli (prior to my buying mine) logged the fault and my accurate description (which the service desk muppet got wrong - said i'd lost power) of the car refusing to let me select a drive mode and thus locking into "controlled efficiency". All on a crazy mad day for the workshop.

I'm VERY impressed with the new (long story but previous dealer was a cad and a fraudster and MB took their cars and dealership off him) owners and staff at MB in Canberra. +++

Better service than I ever got at Porsche (which itself was always top notch). I'm loving owning the AMG.

So the car seems to be driving slightly better than before with the "grab" when down shifting from 4 to 3 manually now gone, and with the mild weather, the NOiSE with the windows down and roof open. :)

All I need do now is give it a good wash come next Monday before putting it away for the week and firing up the R36.

Edited by Rachel

• 4 months later...

Lol! I finally got the "check oil level at next refuelling" message this afternoon.

6097kms, and I topped it up with my 1l bottle of MB 229.5 branded oil. Obviously I haven't been driving it hard enough compared to what folks on MB forums complain/boast about their M156 V8's thirst - esp. in the first 10K-16K km. :)

Went and bought the new Liqui Moly (MB 229.5 rated for AMG) 5W-40 synthetic for future top ups. 5l cost me only double what MB charged me for 1l... oh well.

I also received the AMG workshop/installation manual for the new 440 cooling upgrade package for the C63. AMG claim it takes ~8 hours to fit, and THE CLIENT PAYS for it. I think if I get a repeat this summer of what I described in the previous reply it will be argued as a warranty fix! :uhoh:

Edited by Rachel