It was only a matter of time....

Ian_C

Thing is, by having all my keys on the keyring with the car key, I can't go anywhere without all my keys - so I'm not going to get locked out of anywhere.

I've not left the keys in the car in 3.5 months I've had it yet.  I'd never even thought that might happen - because when I get out I'm going to know very quickly if I've left the keys in it.

At home it'd be a matter of a few metres, because I'd not be able to get in the house.

At work it'd be the same.

Train stations and airports would be different.  However, over the years I've always put my keys in my laptop bag as a matter of routine.  It's just a natural thing for me to do, and I know I'd get that "I'm missing something" feeling if I got the bag out of the boot and didn't have to put my keys in it.

Ever since I first had a car, I've always had keys on the same keyring.  I guess we all just get used to certain ways that work for us but it is interesting to hear so many people carry their car keys separately from house/other keys.  I have never even thought of people doing that.

Ever since I first had a car, I've always had keys on the same keyring.  I guess we all just get used to certain ways that work for us but it is interesting to hear so many people carry their car keys separately from house/other keys.  I have never even thought of people doing that.

I used to do that.  

I now have keys for:

- home

- office 

- garage

- trailer

- Porsche

- Land Rover

- Caterham

(Not to mention her car)

So that ceased to be a viable option some time ago.  Obviously, no sympathy is expected for this awful situation...

But I have multiple car keys - but they're on multiple keyrings.  Why would you want them all on the same set of keys? :roflmao:

Home, office, garage door blipper (forgot that), office door blipper, car key, keyrings (one of which is a photofob keyring of our youngest, just because I really like the picture and if I'm ever going to die in a car crash I'd like to do so looking at something I'm proud of!  :)  Sad, but true).

Obviously I don't have a trailer key.  But you only use yours one-way anyway, don't you? :roflmao:

Mrs M locked her keys in the car a few weeks ago.

Used the "boot open only" option on the fob, put her laptop in and unfortunately dropped her keys in as she was closing the boot :D

Had no purse, house keys, phone, anything.

Luckily she "fessed up to a busdriver who let her on foc, and when she got home the cleaner was here so she could get in for her spare set.

Div!

Obviously I don't have a trailer key.  But you only use yours one-way anyway, don't you? :roflmao:

Just trying to think that one through.

Err, yeah, I tow the Caterham to events and then drive it back alongside the Land Rover, which I'm driving as well.  At the same time.

No, wait, that doesn't work and this is obviously a highly original joke about me crashing the Caterham again, so I must drive the Land Rover with the trailer behind it, and also drive the Caterham alongside, all the way to the event, then break the Caterham and trailer it home...

No, that doesn't work, oh, I've got it now, I drive the Caterham to events, Garcon drives the Land Rover with the trailer behind it, I crash the Caterham during the race, go back to the paddock, kill Garcon in a fit of frustration, and then tow the remains of the Caterham back home using the Land Rover.  

Yes, that works.  Except I seem to have missed Garcon this time, must get a more accurate shotgun.

Used the "boot open only" option on the fob, put her laptop in and unfortunately dropped her keys in as she was closing the boot :D

Ouch.  

Most systems refuse to lock it if the key is inside, my old E60 BMW used to bounce the bootlid back in your face if you did that.  Was very disconcerting.  Usually, I'd stand there slamming it shut with ever-increasing force until I remembered... doh...  :uhoh:

• Like 2

Ouch.  

Most systems refuse to lock it if the key is inside, my old E60 BMW used to bounce the bootlid back in your face if you did that.  Was very disconcerting.  Usually, I'd stand there slamming it shut with ever-increasing force until I remembered... doh...  :uhoh:

This was in her Fiat 500....I think the boot lock is an option :P

Mrs M locked her keys in the car a few weeks ago.

Had no purse, house keys, phone, anything.

Luckily she "fessed up to a busdriver who let her on foc, and when she got home the cleaner was here so she could get in for her spare set.

Div!

I did that in the 6 series.  I'd had it about 3 months when I got stranded in Alnwick by doing it!

I had to wait for BMW Assist to come out.

I then watched him use the inflatable gear they carry to gently lift the boot lid until such a point he could pop it open.   Clever.

The way I did it was a total fluke.  I got my laptop bag out of the car and as I closed the boot I dropped my keys.  They bounced off my arm, onto my right knee and flew into the boot like a Ronaldo free kick into the corner of a net.  I couldn't have done it if I'd tried a million times! 

Just trying to think that one through.

Err, yeah, I tow the Caterham to events and then drive it back alongside the Land Rover, which I'm driving as well.  At the same time.

No, wait, that doesn't work and this is obviously a highly original joke about me crashing the Caterham again, so I must drive the Land Rover with the trailer behind it, and also drive the Caterham alongside, all the way to the event, then break the Caterham and trailer it home...

No, that doesn't work, oh, I've got it now, I drive the Caterham to events, Garcon drives the Land Rover with the trailer behind it, I crash the Caterham during the race, go back to the paddock, kill Garcon in a fit of frustration, and then tow the remains of the Caterham back home using the Land Rover.  

Yes, that works.  Except I seem to have missed Garcon this time, must get a more accurate shotgun.

When you do paperwork, do you ever think you've written too much instead of just saying "Feck off"? :roflmao:

My 5 series has a slot in the centre double-cup holder compartment for the keyfob to sit in.... +++

I went really quiet because I wondered if I'd missed something obvious :roflmao:  

But I checked today; I only have one cup holder (behind the iDrive controller and in front of the arm rest.  It has a slight indention in it, but not enough to stop keys rattling.  Inside the armrest I've got a media adapter for the 'phone on one side, which ensures that the BMW Apps stuff works so I can post to facebook from the car as far as I can tell ;-) and a USB socket and general storage area on the other.  I've been robbed!!  Mine's not a facelift one though, so perhaps that's the reason?

This poor chap doesn't live far from me and it's a pisser take that the key re-programming is now spreading across to other manufacturers. I know Ford cars have been affected as well as now Audi and the ongoing BMW saga.

Its bad enough having the tat men trying to nick anything lying around outside your let alone these scrotes who come along to take your pride and joy

I went really quiet because I wondered if I'd missed something obvious :roflmao:

But I checked today; I only have one cup holder (behind the iDrive controller and in front of the arm rest.  It has a slight indention in it, but not enough to stop keys rattling.  Inside the armrest I've got a media adapter for the 'phone on one side, which ensures that the BMW Apps stuff works so I can post to facebook from the car as far as I can tell ;-) and a USB socket and general storage area on the other.  I've been robbed!!  Mine's not a facelift one though, so perhaps that's the reason?

Mine is in a completely different place Peter.

It is forward of the iDrive controller, below the climate controls with a full cover over it that lifts back and slides down.

Behind the iDrive controller is a small coin tray type thing with a similar cover.

In my armrest is the same as yours.   A storage area, the USB adaptor and the media tray.  I have an iPhone permanently in the media tray on a data contract so I use it for Facebook, Twitter, Calender, eMail and a billion other things - including watching videos on the main screen.   I'm not sure why I'd have this extra tray and you wouldn't though. 

Do you have the soft lights on the full length of the interior door trims and in the door storage areas?  It glows a deep but very soft red on a night?

Is yours manual/auto, SE/MSport?  I know I did get bits I didn't expect (good bits) because of a combination of options I specced (I added almost £9k of options in the end including the multi-function digital dash which is stunning).

• Like 1