Michael Schumacher suffers serious head injuries

Andy_Bangle

Oh dear. This really doesn't make for happy reading, does it?

No, not really :(

If a doctor described the prospect of someone close to me being able one day to walk, talk and dress themselves as a major feat of neuroscience then I'd be quite disappointed.

Yeah I read that earlier, and Schumachers press woman has put out a statement saying not to read into anything that might be in the media, not sure what to make of it all.

With the last update being from so long ago, you have to wonder why they haven't made any further updates; he could be fine if he has come out of the coma but they haven't made any update either way so its hard to take much from the article without knowing more.

Agreed although they are offering generic views based on their vast experience rather than any specfic info on Schumy.

My uncle was in a medically induced coma for a fortnight and then took a week to wake thereafter.

You can imagine how popular I was trying to tactfully get the womenfolk and my cousins hardened to "the inevitable"

That was 2 years ago and he presided over the fun and frolics at our housewarming 6 months ago.

For all that I fear this will have a sad ending

Official update from Michael Schumacher’s manager:

Michael’s sedation is being reduced in order to allow the start of the waking up process which may take long time. For the protection of the family, it was originally agreed by the interested parties to communicate this information only once this process was consolidated. Please note that no further updates will be given.

So it seems they are indeed due to try and bring him round and he was still in a forced coma, which apparently they often keep them in a coma longer than they do normally in the UK so fingers crossed he is ok and it was just as an extra precaution. +++

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the first bit of official positiveness today in a letter from Michael's manager to the Haymarket Autosport International team. The letter was posted on Twitter and thanked ASI on behalf of the family for collating and sending the fan messages of support for Michael. The closing statement read

'We are all convinced Michael will over come this and everything will be fine again'

In isolation this does not sound like much, but given the backdrop of zero information coming from official sources, it is a glimmer of light.

Edited by jimdiesel
  • Like 1

I saw the first bit of official positiveness today in a letter from Michael's manager to the Haymarket Autosport International team. The letter was posted on Twitter and thanked ASI on behalf of the family for collating and sending the fan messages of support for Michael. The closing statement read

The official update basically reaffirms the point that no news is no news, unless it’s an official update from either the Schumacher family or the medical team treating him at hospital in Grenoble.

This is the statement Sabine Kehm, the official spokesperson for Michael Schumacher, issued.

It reads:

"Michael's family would like to again express their sincere thanks for the continuous sympathy coming from all over the world. The good wishes they receive help the family and, we are convinced they also help Michael, who still is in a waking up process.

As often in such situation no day is like the next. The family is thankful for one's understanding that they would not wish to disclose medical details in order to protect Michael's privacy. As assured from the beginning we will continue to communicate any decisive new information on Michael's health state. We are aware that the wake up phase can take a long time.

The family continues to strongly believe in Michael's recovery and place all their trust in the doctors', nurses' and nursing auxiliaries' team. The important thing is not the speed of the recovery but that Michael's heal process progresses in a continuous and controlled way."

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Fingers crossed he will be ok but as time goes on I can't top thinking that things aren't going to be so rosy. The BBC report on the chances of a fully recovery were rather telling add to the fact that he appears to be taking longer to come out of the coma than anyone would like the signs however limited don't appear to be promising. 

However I hope I'm wrong and he is already asking to get up and about and that the little news we have received will be converted to; Michael is fine and he will be at the press conference next week to prove it.

• 3 weeks later...