Impressive feats of endurance

Andrew

Having watched the K2 programme last night it got me wondering what we think the greatest feats of endurance are out there to accomplish?

I've done a few marathons and also was well placed in the worlds longest endurance canoe race. I know of others who have done numerous Ironman races (inc. Norseman), double Ironmans, channel swims, and the Ultra Trail Mont Blanc, but compared to climbing Everest, K2, running coast to coast across Canada, they don't really feature to they?

There was a guy who did a self-styled Enduroman: from Trafalgar Square you run to Dover, dive into the oggin and swim the channel then cycle to Paris.

Edited by Andrew

I'm getting old - sub 28 minute 5k everyday of the week at the moment though.

Recently I have begun thinking of doing something really challenging though - not like the Tough Mudder etc, but something like Kilimanjaro or Everest base camp.

Something where you are part of a team, so pushed and helping to push others to achieve your goal.

So bored with working in an office these days.

Killi might be a good shout (isn't it just a long walk though - Cheryl Cole did it as have two of my mates who both smoke like chimneys and are not, in the vaguest sense of the word, fit) but what about Land's End to JOG cycling? Or the coast to coast multisport event held up at Loch Ness?

True endurance feats fascinate me. I mean those that stretch mind and body beyond any sense of human limitation. Those that require weeks or months surviving in conditions completely alien to human life. The people that complete these feats are different to normal people. To me they represent a kind of advanced evolution of the human species, for whom normal limits are irrelevant.

I fancy doing a long walk sometime. Maybe something that has rarely been done (perhaps through obscurity more than difficulty...).

I definitely want to do some of the crazy Ultramarathons like Spartathlon one day.

I went to Pakistan, trekking in the foothills of the Himalayas and up to base camp of Nanga Parbat (7th highest) in '99 with the school. There's nothing quite like the mountains to bring a sense of wonder about our planet. Seeing Everest in the flesh is pretty cool. Some spectacular views of the stars too! Will definitely do something similar again.

A mate and I fancied running the Frankton Trail one day - the escape route of the Cockleshell Heroes. The plan would be to be entirely self sufficient, carrying tents/bivvys with us and pitching up when desired.

Few people know about that and it is pretty significant!

Edit - that was a suggestion for Garcon as a route.

Edited by Andrew