VW or Merc??

Daz

VW or Merc?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• VW Transporter
    • Merc Vito

VW vans have a cult following, to anyone else the Merc badge would carry more weight though.

Yes, I get the cult following bit, but I was just surprised anyone thought the VW badge carried any kudos with it over and above Mercedes.  I'd have said, on face value, they were leagues apart.

I see VW as just another mainstream manufacturer whose cars are just a little better built than, say, Ford, and a little better appointed inside than, say, Nissan. 

Oh and before anyone says "but have you driven one lately" - yes.  A VW Golf Mark VI, with very few miles on the clock, from Exeter Airport to a client in Cornwall about 6 months ago.  It was bloody awful with the most tacky interior plastics I've seen in a very long time.  In fact I've been nice saying the interiors are a little better than Nissan, because the last Qashqai I sat in had a far superior interior to the Golf.

p.s. but yes it's a van, I know.  I think the vote so far shows how many people think the Mercedes is a far better choice anyway.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

It's a van, first off.

But the RWD versus AWD is an important consideration.

Just to keep your mind at ease, the Merc has a following as well, among downhill mountain bikers - all achieved through Merc sponsoring a load of the top-end riders :)

I used to drive my Sprinter van around building sites, and never once got stuck in the mud or had any trouble with traction.

Bens van was probably remapped to a zillion horsepower, and no, it's never going to put proper power down if it's empty and it's wet!

Edited by Tipex

Its a work van, so when stuff gets broken or worn, I'd rather pay VW prices than Merc.

Other than that, I prefer the look of the VW to the Merc.

You might be in for a surprise then, as I mentioned before, Merc prices were actually less than VW/Ford, for parts and labour.

The Merc does have a lovely engine and is as nice to drive as the VW but it's got a smaller load capacity and a lower tow capacity than the VW.
The fuel consumption on the Merc is worse too but not much different to the truck.

I would only be old if I got the Merc :P

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...