2014 Spanish F1 GP

Andy_Bangle

I don't - for the reasons given above.

Whilst it may not be a universal feeling amongst older F1 fans, I know within the circle of people I'll chat to F1 about, the Hamilton fans tend to be from the younger end of the scale.

Total bollox.

• Like 1

On the sensible motorsport forum I frequent I'd say Hamilton has fans from across the age range. Many are just grateful to have a Brit at the pointy end they can support. It doesn't worry them that he's a different character to Hill (x2), Mansell, Hunt, Clark and co. (And many of them are old enough to remember Clark).

I don't dislike Hamilton. I do dislike the nationalistic hype generated by the media (particularly prevalent when ITV were covering F1) and a significant proportion of his fans. The ones who are simple fanboys, who create and swallow the hype in equal measure, who aren't real motorsport fans at all because they don't see the need to actually understand the sport their hero is employed in, and who are completely ignorant of any kind of motorsport 'below' F1. I realise this may make me something of a motorsport snob. In my defence, Jim knows at least ten times more about F1 - and particularly F1 history - than I do. And he isn't a snob. :P

I also think a lot of people underestimate Rosberg. Hamilton has the slightest of advantages over him at the moment, but as he himself conceded Rosberg was faster, again. Of course, if Rosberg is to challenge he needs to convert that speed into wins.

Vettel? We saw the first signs of the real Vettel this weekend. Definite driver of the race. He has had some pretty specific issues with the car in the early races, particularly with inconsistent brake response. As the team begins to iron out the issues and Vettel learns how to drive around them we'll see more from him. Assuming the Mercedes dominance continues, Vettel will be battling for third place in the WDC with (again) by far the best driver on the grid.

• Like 1

Agree with all of that apart from me not being a snob :)

However Lewis needs to have his twitter account closed. He is a great racing driver, who projects himself badly when away from the PR grip of his team.

I must admit though he has grown up alot in the last few years. I do believe Jenson was a very positive influence on Lewis.

Edited by jimdiesel
  • Like 2

Really, Bob. I see NR as a very good driver but not a World Champ. Twice this season he should have beaten LH but didn't. If he gets in front he can pull away and win, for sure. But I'm not sure about him being brutal enough to have the killer instinct.

There are different skills involved in being able to drive quickly, and being able to get past people.  Some have both, some have just one, some* have neither.  You can see it at all levels of motorsport - I've raced with guys who will often get pole and/or fastest lap but never win.  I know one such guy who had to wait a year and a half for his first race win despite being routinely the fastest on the circuit.  Equally, some people can get past and hold the place, but can't pull away - and create a rolling roadblock that drags the midfield back and lets the front-runners escape.

The champions are the ones who combine maybe 98% of the speed of the fast ones with 100% of the ability to get past.

*me  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...