BMW M2

Soulboy

Looks like one of those sales manager leaving the business cars. As in, I'm in charge of ordering a showroom car / demonstrator and I'm leaving so I will stitch them up with something that will never sell! Happens a lot.

:roflmao:

Having looked at the options, there aren't many things I want as it's pretty well specced. Probably heated seats / memory seats / folding mirrors / reflective glass. Should be about £1k or so.

The biggy is manual or auto? I really want manual, but not having owned a BMW before is this a mistake?

I am not talking about driving enjoyment (hated my DSG R32), more about resale. It's also faster 0-60, more economical and lower road tax....but costs a fair chunk more. Any thoughts / wisdom appreciated. +++

Wait not a problem, as current car only 3 yeas old in Jan 17.

Edited by Soulboy

The biggy is manual or auto? I really want manual, but not having owned a BMW before is this a mistake?

I bought a manual E46 M3 Coupe.

I swapped it in for an SMGII E46 Convertible 9 months later.

I'd never buy another manual BMW, especially if it was a sporting variant.

Btw am I the only one who likes that 640 interior?!

Playing on the configurator I did actually spec one with the Cognac interior. Although I've seen the Vermillion Red in the hide, so to speak, and that is gorgeous.

On the M2 I would go for auto but only because it'd be a daily driver and that can mean lots of miles. If it was a second car I'd definitely try a manual as well as the DCT. In real world driving the manual will be slower but if it's a good enough box it should be more engaging. In theory. I (still) haven't driven an M with DCT tho....

Dealers were allocated 8 this year and all sold (obviously). But I am no 5 for next year, they are confident they will get me one in 2017. The dealers also owe me a favour.

I am in no rush and if there are problems, I will just get the M235 instead.

I was reading that the new UK VED rules mean that the M2 will have a tax penalty if registered after 1 April 2017 as it costs more than £40,000. Maybe this will encourage BMW to bring forward some rhd production. Looks like first year rate goes up from £490 to £1200 and annual charge from £265 to £450. So a decent amount of extra tax to pay if you miss 1 April 2017.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

• 1 month later...

Now its out i have been reading the reviews and looking at vids on YT.

Barely seen a bad word about it yet. Most are incredibly positive.

Also expecting depreciation to be 'as good as it gets'.

So looking good.

Need to see the dealers today and get an update on build dates.

Need to see the dealers today and get an update on build dates.

You won't get one unless you buy a demo (dealers are selling these over list) or from someone who trying to make a quick buck (10+ on Autotrader). 

You also won't be able to 'order' a 2017 car as the dealer won't have allocatiosn yet. They'll happily make you lots of promises and maybe take a deposit and if you're lucky get a call back in Q3 2017.  For example Vines are stating the Est Delivery date as 15/09/2017 :blink:   

Rumour has it the UK’s allocation of 1,900 cars is almost all sold out and production will cease in late 2018. 

My order and deposit were in a coupe of months back, so here's hoping it will land before the April 2017 road tax changes.

If there's any excessive pi55ing about at the dealers I will (reluctantly) jump ship and get a Cayman. Or poss well specced 235.

Edited by Soulboy
  • Like 1