Olympics 2016

billy2shots

Cracking day yesterday/last night. 

It's a shame a few 4ths didn't quite turn into medal positions. I'm a little nervous about our rowing and cycling. We normally bag a load of gold but I'm not too sure this time around. We will still win a few but not as many as in recent times, same goes for the shooting. 

• Like 1

It's all going well again......4th in medal table now I think.

I had some vague memories of how bad we used to be not too long ago and thought my memory must be wrong.....so i looked it up on wiki. 

In 1996 we finished 36th with 1 gold medal! 

Oh how times have changed.

• Like 1

Wow thats amazing. 

Was just saying to the wife Mrs CarMad that everyone that is doing the commentary or interviews were the few that got the golds in the past, now the glory is getting shared by lots of people and I don't know the names of many of them, they were all mini celebs in the past. 

Can't take the amazing performance away from any of them, truly inspirational. :(:grin:

10 hours ago, Soulboy said:

It's all going well again......4th in medal table now I think.

I had some vague memories of how bad we used to be not too long ago and thought my memory must be wrong.....so i looked it up on wiki. 

In 1996 we finished 36th with 1 gold medal! 

Oh how times have changed.

Mrs E & I were just having exactly that conversation.

3 hours ago, JonC said:

Lottery funding has no doubt helped GB's success.

It's certainly helping a lot of sports although I was surprised to hear that Adam Peaty's family were struggling to get the money together to go to Rio to support him. By chance their washing machine packed in and the repair man after hearing this went to his boss and asked if the company could pay. The company agreed to pay as it was excellent PR.

We are loving it.

Only criticism is that the stadiums should ALL be FULL. The ticket pricing is obviously wrong.

Even if they have to give tickets away to local schools or whatever,  there should be no excuse for empty seats. The athletes deserve a full stadium, and the atmosphere is so much better.

Makes you realise how well organised London was.

I don't think specifically down to ticket prices but more down to the lack if interest as not a lot of Brazilian athletes are in contention for medals. Even the football, where the home nation were a shoe in for a medal has actually turned out to be more difficult than anticipated.

17 minutes ago, Cuprabob said:

I don't think specifically down to ticket prices but more down to the lack if interest 

I wonder how many Brazilians actually understand the Olympics? a poor rural economy, low TV ownership etc, they won't have bought up on diet of athletics and medal wining performances.

What with all the corruption, drugs, multiple TV channels the best days of the Olympic movement are behind them. 

• Like 1

The Brazilians will pack out a stadium if they have a gold medal winning chance in something. They are not a great nation of sport lovers, they just like the winning side of things. Any sport can slip down the ranks in a Brazilians mind based solely on recent success. They are as fickle a nation as you will come across. 

From a Brazilian friend. 

Super Saturday didn't quite live up to the hype. Will it be super Sunday instead. 

Whitlock wins a historic (and surprise) gold on the floor in gymnastics. He and Louis Smith will go against each other on the pommel horse later and a medal of some kind is expected. 

Murray is in the tennis final that's just about to start. 

Justin Rose is leading the golf with 3 holes to play. 

As Bob says, a guaranteed gold is already ours as Kenny and Skinner prepare to face off. 

On the water we have a silver and a few more chances of medals if the wind dyes down a little so they can go racing. 

It's  either going to be mental or a huge let down!!

Edited by billy2shots
  • Like 1