RS3 - Saloon!

cruiser647

Hahaha, yes I might have shot myself in the foot there, but you all know what I meant!  :roflmao:

The Golf and S3 are the same car underneath!  The running gear, the engine, the gearbox, the Haldex, the hardware, the software.

Yes, the S3 5dr Sportback version is longer than the S3 and Golf, but as mentioned above in the evo video, in terms of driving dynamics, that could actually work to your advantage, although there is no denying the Sportback will carry a weight penalty

On 12 October 2016 at 5:19 PM, Ian_C said:

The Golf R and S3 are absolutely identical!  ;)

Audi S3, length 4254mm, width 1777mm, track 1535mm

Golf R, length 4255mm, width 1799mm, track 1541mm

The Audi runs 7.5x18 ET51, the Golf 7.5x18 ET49 which explains the slight difference in track (obviously the front wings govern the body width)

Thing is, drive them back to back and you will definitively note the difference in the driving experience and set up of both cars

In my opinion Golf R is a far better drivers car and is set up with that in mind, the S3 is slightly more of a GT set up and is the better all rounder,easier to live with if you like.

But the Golf is just a totally better sorted 4WD drivers car in comparison to the S3, if it wasn't for the sh1te back up and service down here, would have serioulsy considered having one

On 9 October 2016 at 7:18 PM, Ian_C said:

The RS3 might have bigger wheels and tyres - hence more grip - but the S3 is the better 'poised' and better handling car.  The S3 Sportback is one of few Audi products this side of the R8 that is actually adjustable, as per Jethro Bovingdons video below.  Previously, evo didn't find the 3dr as playful, hence I have a feeling the 5dr has stiffer rear suspension than the 3dr, which makes the nose keener to change direction

Thats the old model M135i too down 12 BHP and 30ftlb of torque

the old steering wheel looked very dated 

Old video, apologies!  The S3 has been facelifted and given a power boost since then.   +++

Met up at an Audi tuner shop this morningin Milton Keynes for a dawn raid convoy down to Castle Combe.  When I got chance later in the day, I asked the company owner if the two cars were mechanically identical, he said yes.  Although the Audi has an aluminium subframe, whereas the Golf makes do with steel.  The suspension, 4wd system and steering are identical.  He did suggest the if you compared a 3dr S3 manual to a 3dr Golf manual (neither with any options) the S3 would be heavier due to the slightly more plush interior & spec.  Possibly a bit more sound deadening too.  A quick google shows there's only about 5 kilos in it.  Tyres and tyre pressures would make more difference to how the car steers.  And don't forget you can change the 'steering weight' on the cars MMI (well you can with the Audi)

They had an RS3, Golf R and Golf GTi side-by-side on their stand today.  He said he deliberated for months over which to buy as his own personal car (Golf R, S3, RS3) before buying the RS3 for the looks, road presence, engine, noise, gearbox and brakes!

The problem for me would be that the RS3 is S-Tronic only and it's so much more expensive than the S3. The RS sounds great but I'm not convinced the nicer, more emotive noise would be worth it despite the fact the S3/R sound quite dull. For me the S3 offers the best overall package but don't be fooled by the ability to change the steering weight within the MMI; it's pure marketing drivel and makes zero difference to steering feel in the S3 as it feels shite in all settings.

80's chrome is good!  IMHO.  I don't like all the black surrounds on things.

I drove my mate's A5 3.0 TDi Black Edition on Friday.  The steering is so different to my A8 (obviously) I kept having to adjust as I was cornering.   :roflmao:.  Short and sharp and a very small flat bottomed wheel.

Felt wierd to start with.  The thing is so damn quiet too.  My mate drove my A8 so I could hear what it sounds like to other people.  And I get to hear the V8 rumble!

But I'd buy the RS3 for the 5 cyl sound

3 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

See what I mean?  That looks like a base model A3 to me with a set of fancy alloys

I do see what you mean. I wonder if it's because there are so many S and S-line Audi's out there that the default image in our brain is with those features. e.g. side skirts, front rear spoilers, lowered suspension, bigger wheels etc. Whilst these may be the most common,  when you see a real base spec car they stand out as there's quite a lot of difference. Maybe I'm more tuned into the differences. Audi have always been more understated with their "sport" styling than others. I think the familiarity with the styling rather than the lack of differences to base spec make S3 models look less special and unique. Even the RS's aren't as "shouty" as they could be so the S models don't really have a chance of standing out ... and maybe that's a good thing : if the owners wanted more obvious styling then they'd probably look elsewhere.

• Like 1

When I first got mine (Jan 2014) I didnt see any other new S3's on the road for ages. So it did look a bit different.

Now I see lots of them. lots and lots of them.

BUT, not as many as Golf R's. I think the Golf R is effectively the new GTI (as you dont see many of those now) everyone has gone for the R.

For both cars, cheap finance is the culprit. People who would never have been able to get an S3 or Golf R in the olden days (on loan/HP) now get dirt cheap lease and PCP deals.

I have liked my S3. Its been a good car. But I will be glad to see it go, just because there are so many of them nowadays. All modded by lads who have moved up from a Saxo VTS with a big exhaust 10 years ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

80's chrome is good!  IMHO.  I don't like all the black surrounds on things.

I drove my mate's A5 3.0 TDi Black Edition on Friday.  The steering is so different to my A8 (obviously) I kept having to adjust as I was cornering.   :roflmao:.  Short and sharp and a very small flat bottomed wheel.

Felt wierd to start with.  The thing is so damn quiet too.  My mate drove my A8 so I could hear what it sounds like to other people.  And I get to hear the V8 rumble!

But I'd buy the RS3 for the 5 cyl sound

80's chrome belongs precisely there - in the 80's and before that the 70's.

It is antiquated, tacky, attempting to make cars look 'classy' when all it does in reality is cheapen them and put them firmly back in yesteryear.

Chrome belongs on exhausts (and even then it doesn't work on all models) and possibly on a few high-end executive cars.

Get back to the 1970's cruiser!

Soulboy, you are not allowed to answer this.....  +++

The 18s in Soulboys photo only come an S3.  So if you see those alloys, you knows its an S3.  Whereas the 18s in my pic above (the black car) and one of the cars below are available both on the A3 and the S3.  So the alloys don't help!

Take the below two cars, both in Daytona grey, both with black optics, the S3 debaged with colour coded mirrors.  There are still three differences between them immediately front facing (four if you count the 'plug' in the grill where the S3 badge used to be)

So which is the S3, which is the A3:

Black Optics 1.jpg

Black Optics 2.jpg