BMW 1 Series

Snail

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like it. But even though it's a 4-door, I think it's a DINK car.. (Double Income No Kids). At the moment it's underpowered, the only engine I'd choose would be the 2 litre diesel. Ahm... With the drivers seat adjusted to my likings, I wouldn't want to sit in the back if the driver liked his seat like I do mine. And the boot, or rather lack of boot is not impressive. At the moment the BMW 1-series would be a wifes car/second car. Or a singles car, for those that rarely carry more than two persons and don't care if all their shopping bags are in the backseat.

But I really like the design of the car. No test drive yet, they didn't have a 120d loaner so I've just been able to test sit and admire a sold one at my BMW dealers.

[ QUOTE ]

its got elements of the M Coupe thingy,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thingy ?! Bit of respect please snail.... slap.giftongue.gif

I've also seen a few of these about now and I actually quite like them, for what they are. I bet they damage golf sales as so many people would rather have a second beemer on their drive than a 'golf' - you can just picture it sitting beside the ubiquitous X5 on a drive.... wink.gif

If I was in the market for that type of car again then I'd certainly take the 120d out for a spin to compare.....and at the moment I'm sooo much more impressed with BMW service as a whole (sales excluded) than I've ever been with VW that I would seriously consider a '1'...

But it is too expensive for what it is.

I specced up one the other night, 120d sport with leather auto and navigation and it was over £25k. Having said that I guess most of there sales will be a base model 116ise and then it makes more sense.

Completely agree with mving away from Audi because of their customer service, or lack of, BMW have always been great with the 3 cars I have owned and only one of them was from them, and my local Merc dealer is superb too, always call back etc.

I am ready to change my car and I think it is going to be a c200k avantgarde sport auto estate, mainly because I have had enough of dealing with Audi and the 5 series estate is too expensive, and I have had an e46 estate so don't want another.

Managed to get a shot of a 120i today. Impressed with the drive etc, but not with the engine, would have expected a bit more from a 2litre? I like them and cant wait to see if there is a M1 in a year or two when my R32 is due for a change. Serious contender for my next car if their is one!

I take back some of what I said, as I took out a 120d sport today, one of the best drives out there, the handling is great, better then the Z4 imho, and the torque is superb. The sales guy said don't bother with the 120i as it just doesn't compare, but the price of just under £26k with options makes it seem a bad buy.

Also took out a c200k avantgarde estate, and that did nothing for me at all.

If I can get my dog in the back of the 120d I may well go for one, but even with very basic spec it comes to £23700 frown.gif

But it was returning very good mpg so I could convince myself that I will save on fuel!

Sorry - saw one at the dealers yesterday whilst drooling over a 3 series cab and didn't like it very much (the 1 series that is!). I was suprised how square and slab-like the front looked. This is quite a rare car in the fact that it actually looks worse in real life. No doubt it'll still be a success for the badge-toffs but they could have done so much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw two in quick sucession today, one grey one blue.

It's not an offensive car, but there's nothing attractive about it, it's just another blob.

Put it this way, imagine BMW had turned down the design and the designer had been able to sell it to Fiat instead, how many do you think you'd see on the road then?

People will buy it because its a sub £20K Beemer (just, if you don't have any extras!).

I'm sure it drives well and is nicely put together, but I just feel a BMW should have some style about it, and this just doesn't... crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry ( actually NO I AM NOT SORRY) WHAT A STEAMING PILE OF HORSE dung.gif the 1 series really is!

If thats the best they could do in this part of the market then audi, vw and even the likes of honda dont have a thing to worry about!!!

Whoever approved that design must have been seriously hung-over or needs a trip to spec savers!

How can a company responsible for such gorgeous cars such as the new M5 make such a pig!!!

[ QUOTE ]

I am sorry ( actually NO I AM NOT SORRY) WHAT A STEAMING PILE OF HORSE dung.gif the 1 series really is!

[/ QUOTE ]Hey, come on! No need for that shocked.gif

I have a 120d SE and it is a superb car. I tested an A3 2.0 TDi Sport and a Golf GT TDi 2.0. Basically, the 120d is in a league above these 2. The VW/Audi unit is so harsh and unrefined. And compared to the 120d, slow. The ride of the A3 was terrible - actually made be feel sick.

Check out some picutes here:

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=397

And if you're interested, here's a great dedicated 1-series forum 169144-ok.gif

www.tyresmoke.net

Good to see some nice reasoned, mature debate in this thread.

It is widely acknowledged that the 1 is the class leader - certainly as far as the drive goes so I think that Audi and VW do have somethign to worry about. I was initially going to go for a Golf (I thought about the Audi but it was too boring) but eventually decided on the 1 which I will be getting in 15 days time.

I like driving my car hard so am lookign forward to the rear wheel drive, I nver have people in the back so the limit rear access is no problem, the boot is bigger than my current car and fits everything that I need to fit in there.

I love the looks - especially with the wheels I have ordered.

I am buying this car DESPITE the fact that it is a BMW. A lot of my mates do not like BMW's as the reputation the owners have. The 1 however does not look like every other single BMW out there and IMHO is the best looking Beemer (apart from probably the Z4 and the X5). I did not want a 3 series as they are so common and look like every other BMW ever made.

If you don't like the car fine but there is no need to slag of other people's Pride and Joy. Just say you odn't like it.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this post but I don't care - I'm not trying to upset anyone just stating my opinion.