New car damaged at dealers

bulldoze

My girlfriend was due to pick up her new Cooper S this morning but just had a call informing her that the drivers door has been hit at the vehicle prep centre. She has not been able to view the damage but BMW are offering to replace the door and give her a cooper courtesy car until the car is fixed.

What are the options open to her? surely the car will be registered as having a new door on the BMW database thus affecting future resale value.

Anybody got any thoughts on this situation?

Ask for a loaner CSL M3??

I'm pretty sure you could reject the car, but that is a bit drastic.

Go and see the damage and decide from there.

Even BMW won't supply a pre painted door and will have to spray the new one and blend the paint in. Depending on finish this should be esay because it's a new car.

Big question is how well the body shop paint looks compared to the factory paint!

[ QUOTE ]

Even BMW won't supply a pre painted door and will have to spray the new one and blend the paint in. Depending on finish this should be esay because it's a new car.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I'd reject the car. They simply cannot guarantee a match. It'll be done at the dealers bodyshop by some 16 year old apprentice with his boss watching.

I just wouldn't have a panel sprayed on a brand new car.

I have a few chips on my front valance which only I notice.

I considered respraying it. BMW's opinion? Ooo, can't assure you of a match Mr Me......

Reject it. 169144-ok.gif

Don't just reject it though. Tell them you want to reject it and listen to what they say. They will be stuck with a Cooper S that still needs repairing and selling on. Let them wriggle into a position where you have provisionally rejected it but hopefully they'll say "have a look at the repairs before you confirm" and then if its no good definitely reject it, but if you can't see the difference then let them twist your arm into accepting it in return for a grand or two off 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Impressed the garage owned up - wonder how many other new cars suffer minor prangs which are covered up without anyone knowing?

You'll always be looking to see if the colour matches. With everyone else here - reject it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a few!! I got my key scratch done by an independant spray shop (bloody good job; excellent blend and colour match) and they stated they get the odd car from two main dealers in the area (VW and Audi) to do a) body kits that customers have ordered that are factory fitted and b) in-tranist damage prior to customer getting the car.

Dealer not under any obligation to advice the customer either frown.gif

As SixDegrees says, loads of cars get damaged then fixed and sold to their first owner.

There's a very good body shop near me who does a lot of work for prestige dealers. I was in there a few years back and they had a brand-new M-coupe in, still covered in plastic and foam protection etc but with a severely damaged door (a mechanic reversed another car into it!). It was having a new door and then going on to whoever had bought it and I'm 99% sure the owner wasn't going to be told about it from what I heard!

[ QUOTE ]

Don't just reject it though. Tell them you want to reject it and listen to what they say. They will be stuck with a Cooper S that still needs repairing and selling on. Let them wriggle into a position where you have provisionally rejected it but hopefully they'll say "have a look at the repairs before you confirm" and then if its no good definitely reject it, but if you can't see the difference then let them twist your arm into accepting it in return for a grand or two off 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on.

But usually people buy new because they want a "new" one.

So get them to knock a couple of grand of the next one they build for you, in apology for their incompetence. 169144-ok.gif

I've twice seen dealers prang cars (not badly though).

Once a mechanic was bringing a car round to the front from the workshop, stopped, and then started backing up (maybe forgot something?) Pity the service reception lady was following him round in another car! blush.gif It was a very low speed impact, and I don't think any damage was done.

Another time they'd just had brand new flag poles and flags put up and the very day they went up one of the salesmen was moving a second-hand car off the forecourt and mowed one down! grin.gif Oops!

To be fair, if you've got lots of staff and lot of cars all being continually shifted around a small area, it is bound to happen, human nature. Everyone makes mistakes.

Having said all that, I'm not sure I would be prepared to accept a brand spanking new car that had already had a prang and been repaired beofre it even turned a wheel on the public road, and before I'd taken delivery. crazy.gif

Thanks for all the advice, I must admit I do not like the idea of her accepting a sub standard vehicle, it is her dream car after all and she has wanted one for a couple of years. I am on operations overseas at the moment (Brit mil) and have limited contact with her, so I have directed her to this thread, hopefully it will arm her with some information to hit the dealer with.