Dealer Woes

Philip

My wife took the car for its first service today, 1st time in the dealers since the the day we picked it up. She got a new A4 Avant tdi Sline for the day and was was very impressed with overall.

Got a call later in the day from the garage, car requires 2 front tyres (14500 miles), dealer quotes £175 each shocked.gif. Do a quick search on the net and a quick call to a place that is allways the cheapest around and they can only match the price, so give dealer go ahead for them.

20 mins before I set of to collect it, the dealer rings again and asks if there was any damage to the front bumper before I brought it in confused.gif, No I replied, well there is now she replies fekr.giffekr.giffekr.gif

Some T**T has only gone and pranged it.

Been to see it, several deep scuffs, right into the plastic, bodyshop reckon they can just repaint it.

The dealer has taken full responsibilty and will repair it, but the question is do i demand compensation, and if so how much or what.

Anybody else had a similar thing happen, and what did you ask for/get.

I know UBM got a fair bit when his cabrio was deliverd late.

Do I hassle the service manager when I collect it, or do I right to the dealer and go from there.

Any Help appreciated.

Not been a great day, looking at £27o for the service £350 for the tyres and only a dinged motor at the end

I had a very similar thing happen to my car at Derby Audi not so long ago - apart from they didn't have the guts to own up to damaging the car, it was a good job I spotted it!

The damage on mine wasn't too bad and I'm fortunate enough to have a good friend who runs a body shop so I said I'd sort the bumper if Audi paid for the jobs on my car, mine was also in for it's first service and they stung me for bits like wiper blades so the bill came to £370ish which they did refund to me, I ended up getting the bumper painted for £50 cash smile.gif

I would go down a similar route as far as compensation goes, especially if you've had 2 tyres as well. Try and get them to do the paintwork and waive your service bill, or at least try and get the tyres for free.

Also tell them you're looking to swap your car in the next 6 months and if they don't sort things out you wouldn't consider using them, dealers hate to think they're losing a customer to another Audi dealer.

Hope you get things sorted mate 169144-ok.gif

The dealer has held their hands up to it, even volunteered the situation not waited for you to find it.

They're rectifying the problem for you at no cost to yourself.

Why does everyone think thererfore compensation is due? confused.gif

Sh!t happens and they're dealing with it. Seems fair enough to me. crazy.gif

Let me put it another way. You're parking your car at work and, oops sod it, you've clipped the Jag in the next bay, damn!

But you're a good chap, you find out who's it is, you own up, you agree to pay, you agree to it going to a Jag bodyshop, you even organise it.

And then the Jag owner says to you "now, how much compensation are you going to pay me on top?"

What is your likely response? grin.gif

I can understand that is you view of it Ari probably i would do the same but what i am focused on (which i think a good dealer should take into account is this quote from the top post [ QUOTE ]

Not been a great day, looking at £27o for the service £350 for the tyres and only a dinged motor at the end

[/ QUOTE ]

So a form of compensation (even a drink for sake of arguement) will contribute to a feel better factor for your costumer. 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for the replies, let me just say he service manager was very apologetic and at no time did she try to say the damage must have been done before the car went in. I can see Ari's point of view that poo happens, but I'm paying them to do a service and expect that they take care of my property whilst they have it. The fact they will repair it is irrelevant, as i now have a car thats had body damage and will probably be worth less when I come to sell it, as it will probably be part ex'd at the same dealer.

I dont want to rip the dealer off but I think a goodwill jesture is in order.

The thing is the dealership sits on a tiny bit of land and theres vey little room to park, theres no marked bays for visitors, cars for service etc, cars are shunted around all the time to get cars in and out of the service bays.

Anyway see what transpires tomorrow

[ QUOTE ]

Oh feck x 2.

Firstly, you paid way too much for the tyres EEK2.GIF - mine only a couple of months ago cost me £125 each.

Secondly, yes ask for compensation - say you want the service for free - they are bound to do something there. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Searched the NET and rang around today, cheapest for 235/40/zr18 Pirelli Pzero Rosso is £125 each delivered to home. Then I have to find a place that will fit them, approx £15-£20 a wheel for Fit, balance, disposal of old tyre.

Local tyre depot(which are normally cheapest around) qouted £175 also.

The thing with the dealer is they have gauranteed no rim damage, and if they do they will repair/replace the rim you dont get that at your local Kwik Fit

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Oh feck x 2.

Firstly, you paid way too much for the tyres EEK2.GIF - mine only a couple of months ago cost me £125 each.

Secondly, yes ask for compensation - say you want the service for free - they are bound to do something there. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Searched the NET and rang around today, cheapest for 235/40/zr18 Pirelli Pzero Rosso is £125 each delivered to home. Then I have to find a place that will fit them, approx £15-£20 a wheel for Fit, balance, disposal of old tyre.

Local tyre depot(which are normally cheapest around) qouted £175 also.

The thing with the dealer is they have gauranteed no rim damage, and if they do they will repair/replace the rim you dont get that at your local Kwik Fit

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth paying the extra! Kwik Fit damaged my alloys frown.gif

£175 each for the tyres is nothing short of a joke. sportifs2.gif

Busy time of year with lots of people getting tyres before winter, but even so, that is insane. Pirellis aren't that expensive! Toby got a set of Eagles for the S2 for £240 all in! Granted they were 16s - but three 16" Eagles for one of 'their' 18" Pirellis.....

Would personally respect them for admitting the scrape and being honest as Ari mentions. However, Stealers make a killing on tyres, so I would focus attention here if you want to negotiate. Two-for-one might be a good ploy as it would result in a bargain for you: they will have effectively sold you them for cost price, hence won't have lost out.

G'luck

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the replies, let me just say he service manager was very apologetic and at no time did she try to say the damage must have been done before the car went in. I can see Ari's point of view that poo happens, but I'm paying them to do a service and expect that they take care of my property whilst they have it. The fact they will repair it is irrelevant, as i now have a car thats had body damage and will probably be worth less when I come to sell it, as it will probably be part ex'd at the same dealer.

I dont want to rip the dealer off but I think a goodwill jesture is in order.

The thing is the dealership sits on a tiny bit of land and theres vey little room to park, theres no marked bays for visitors, cars for service etc, cars are shunted around all the time to get cars in and out of the service bays.

Anyway see what transpires tomorrow

[/ QUOTE ]

" If, as you all may be well aware they have atrocious parking at the respective dealerships this does not at all surprise me...and that car parking etiquette is not one of their driver / handyman's priorities!!! I have seen some really close shaves at my local stealer."

I know it all too well and you have my sympathy, however I have been reliably informed that they are moving to a new purpose built state of the art facility not a kick in the arse away 169144-ok.gif We live in hopes! bowdown.gif

I negotiated Audi down to £125 each for two 17" Dunlop Sports.

I know I could have got them cheaper through Blackcircles etc but I wanted them done when it was serviced and I wanted Audi to take responsibility for any potential damage (even though I was certain they just use a mobile company).

The condition of my gleaming alloys was pointed out to them when it went in. In the event of any damage, I reckon I would have had a lot more comeback on Audi then a Kwik-Fit type establishment.

For me, it was worth the extra £15 a tyre for piece of mind and less hassle. Mind you they quoted something daft like £154 each I think when I first asked them blush.gif