Helmets for Trackdays

cerbera

Guys - can you offer any recommendations for a helmet that will probably be used for a handful of trackdays each year? ECLIPSe.gif

Probably prefer a full face one and have seen a few from the likes of Bell, OMP and Sparco but I don't really know much about them all?

Not looking to spend a fortune but obviously prepared to spend what's needed to get a good quality one.

Any advice much appreciated!

beerchug.gif

JT

That's exactly the kind of Helmet I was thinking of Dave.

I'm assuming it's a case of if

1) It fits well

2) It's from a well know manufacturer

3) Meets all the safety standards

then it'll be fine.........

Looks like I've just answered my own question... grin.gif Just curious as to what the trackday junkies on this site all use ?

beerchug.gif

JT

PS - Dave you'll be needing one for the Porka too if you haven't already got one I imagine tongue.gif

I would always wear a open face mask personally... it gives you much better visability around the cockpit and makes communication much easier too. They are also considerably lighter and easier to get on and off.

I would only use a full face if i was in an open top car.

This is what i use:

804092-sparcoprojet.jpg

post-135-137914357736_thumb.jpg

I think it might depend on the individual tracks JHT - best give 'em a call if you're unsure. TBH I can't recall any particular attention being paid to my helmet when I've used my own at a number of the UK's kart tracks.

Its not so much about brands but rather the safety standard of the helmet in relation to the activity its being used for 169144-ok.gif

I don't think you will be allowed Karting with an open face skin lid, because if you crash you could possibly end up with some nasty facial injuries as you are not strapped in.

The official minimum requirement for a helmet for trackdays is a type A. But normally this is not checked unless you turn up in something that looks really tatty. Demon Tweeks and Grand Prix Racewear are two good places to look to get a lid from.

[ QUOTE ]

Seconded. GP Racewear were really helpful, plenty of stock even for my outsize bonce.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif a bit off topic, but I once went on a corporate karting event in France and my colleague was unable to race as they couldn't find a helmet that would fit over his cranium yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Seconded. GP Racewear were really helpful, plenty of stock even for my outsize bonce.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif a bit off topic, but I once went on a corporate karting event in France and my colleague was unable to race as they couldn't find a helmet that would fit over his cranium yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We know who you really mean Bazza....... yelrotflmao.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

How do you measure your heed for a helmet?

[/ QUOTE ]

To quote what it says in Demon Tweaks:

Carefully measure around your head, above the ears. Take the measurement, in inches or centimetres, referring to the chart for correct hat/helmet size. Do not guess your size as a helmet must fit snugly and securely before engaging in any activity.

Although I'd go to a shop and get fitted properly personally until I knew what size I was 169144-ok.gif

I've also been looking for a trackday helmet and I agree that for cars it should be open face, as it gives you much better visibility, you remain cooler and you're able to communicate easier. Plus they'll be lighter.

However, I'm unsure of the difference between the different helmets. Looking at a Sparco club and that's about £65, yet the Pro Jet is £160. What would the difference be between them? Presumably some safety rating?

All road legal motorcycle helmets sold in the UK must conform to ECE 22-05 or the older British Standard 6658 (categorised as Type A (blue label) or Type B (green label). These stickers are normally located on the back of the helmet and will also include a batch identity number. ECE 22-05 helmets are tested by BSI, and have the BSI Kitemark on the label. If it doesn't have a sticker or kitemark, don't buy it, it may be an import and will not be legal on British roads. A recent article suggested that most Traffic Police were not interested in the safety stamp, providing the helmet was a recognisable brand and model. However, this may change in the future.

The BSI 6658 and ECE 22-05 standards are among the toughest tests for motorcycle helmets in the world. They are generally accepted to be better than the American DOT and older European CE standards, although they are broadly equivalent to the SNELL M2000 standard. These standards don't just test new helmet designs, but mandate testing of a %age of all batches manufactured (typically around 1%) with ongoing continuous inspection and recertification. All this helps to reduce the risk to you in the event of an accident.

Your helmet may also have an Auto-Cycling Union (ACU) gold or silver badge. The ACU is the governing body of motorcycle sport throughout the British Isles, excluding Ireland. ACU accreditation is different from the BSI standards, however they typically match the standard, with ACU gold going to most BS6658 Type A helmets and Silver to Type Bs. The price of a type B will range from between about £40 to £100, while a Type A will start at around £70 to over £400. Always try to go for a type A/gold if you can afford it, as it will give better protection and should last longer. You will also be allowed to use it on a track day if you wish.

While it is not a legal requirement to have a visor, if one is fitted it must comply with the BS 4110 ZA or YA test standards. These standards define impact and scratch resistance as well as tint. Blacked out visors are not road legal as is any visor not marked with the BS stamp.

Helmet Style

In the UK you will typically have a choice of:

Full Face - Having an integral chin guard and visor that closes onto the chin bar

Open Face - Having only a visor or open face without a chin guard.

Combined - Having a chin bar that can be released, such as those used by the police.

If you have ridden in other countries you may have seen half face or skull cap helmets, but these will not pass the UK safety standards. It is generally accepted that a full face helmet will offer the most protection as it will protect your nose, jaw, teeth etc. in the event of an accident. I have heard of people who claim their chin bar and visor showed signs of melting during a face down slide, you probably wouldn't walk away from a similar accident wearing an open face helmet. Also don't confuse an open face helmet with a pop on chin guard as a full face helmet. Normally found on motocross helmets, these are there to stop mud & spray and will offer little protection (likely to pop off) in an accident. A combination helmet such as the Shoei Sychrotec, offers the best of both, but costs quite a bit more. It can also be hard to ride with the face up, as it acts like a parachute. In any case they are popular with instructors and police, as they don't need to remove their helmet to give instructions. Although combination helmets are subjected to the same tests as any legal helmet, some are classed as open face helmets and as such not subject to the same tests as a full face helmet. This is also true for some full face like helmets like those made by Roof. It's worth checking with your dealer, what classification the helmet has. Typically these helmets will not carry the ACU gold sticker. In addition combination helmets can also weigh up to 40% more than the equivalently priced full-face helmet. Apart from adding to your fatigue on long journeys, this extra weight could increase the risk of neck injuries in an accident. For example the additional force applied to the neck in rapid deceleration (head on impact to the upper body) could easily be 20kg given a 60mph impact speed. Other benefits of full face or combination helmets, is that they will normally come with a visor which helps stop flies and grit going in your eyes.

Open face Helmets - The main limit of an open face is its inability to stop the lid from rolling back or forward during a slide. Any chin bar that stays in tact acts as an anchor during a slide keeping it in contact with the ground and not you. In the event that you slide face down and feet first, it is likely that the open face helmet will roll to the back of your head leaving your head and face in direct contact with the ground. This may result in some horrific injuries, which could have been avoidable.