New Car Advice

lazerblue

Hi all TSN,ers

Fistly new to the site and would like to say what a great place it is.

I am looking to get a new car circa 25 to 35K and would appreciate your informed comments on my current shortlist:

VW Golf GTI

VW Golf R32

BMW 330i

Porsche Boxter

Main requirements are:

(1) Driving enjoyment mainly on the road, but down the line also looking to do some track days.

(2) A certain degree of practicality as it will be my only car.

(3) Good looks, though as always beauty is in the eye of the beholder (eg, BMW 1 Series).

(4) Reliability, boring I know but no car is enjoyable if it is stuck at the stealers.

Looking forward to your comments and also any interesting alternatives you could come up with.

I dont live with a Boxter day in day out (unfortunately!!), but others on here do - they will probably testify that it is practical enough....... depends - if you have a big dog, it isnt!!! In that respect, the Boxster will always win hands down for your needs.

Next best is the R32. Stunning car, sounds nice, lots of torque and not too common - everyone has a GTi now - probably because they are a bloody good car!!!! grin.gif

330i wouldnt be on my list.

I'd say the GTI if you're in a similar situation to me (i.e. sometimes need 4 seats and a large boot).

However, I'd imagine the Boxter to be a better drive, quicker, more exlusive and overall a "better" car if you only need 2 seats and what I can only assume to be a smaller boot.

I guess all the cars you've mentioned would have similar depreciation (wihtin reason) and cost a similar amount of money to run/service etc.

Have you considered something like a Subaru Forester? Great drive, looks decent, loads of space and well priced 169144-ok.gif

Mate, get yourself a nice E46 M3. Completely different to a 330.

The GTI is not in the same league.

However, R32 handles well and has 4WD.

Alternatively, you can take your pick of B6 S4 saloons/avants etc for that price point, and gain a lovely burbling V8, smooth throttle control and permanent 4WD. S4 has less driver involvement than an M3 though.

It's a personal preference thing, as always.

[ QUOTE ]

Well said Chav - at up to £35k, or even up to £30k, you can get yourself a very nice E46 M3 that knocks the socks off everything else you have listed performance wise, and offers the practicality you seek too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point about the M3, I was thinking of new cars only smashfreakB.gif

When I was looking (dreaming) of an M3, I found several around the £30k mark with loads of kit and in great condition.

You've then get everything you need; speed, noise, fun, room. Everything 169144-ok.gif

Boxster!!!

A friend's just bought one. Granted his wife has a family car for when they need the space, but the Boxster is his daily driver. If you don't need more than two seats, then a Boxster is as practical as anything else - plenty of luggage space for two, bulletproof reliability, decent fuel economy.

And it's a Porsche!

For 25k you should find a decent 2003 (facelift) model 2.7 manual. For 30k you'll find a pristine end of line 986 2.7, or a good earlier Boxster S. For 35k you should be able to get a pristine 04/05 model 986 Boxster S or a barely used 987 2.7. You could get a new 2.7 for £35k, but it depends what spec you want - I'd be tempted to go for a well spec'd six month old car instead.

As for real world performance, the Boxster is quicker than anything else you mentioned, and the Boxster S is quicker than an M3... grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

and the Boxster S is quicker than an M3... grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it bollocks! yelrotflmao.gif

Taking standard statistics....

E46 BMW M3 Coupe 0-62.....5.1s

E46 BMW M3 Coupe 1/4m.....13.4s @ 107 mph

New Boxster S 0-62........5.4s

New Boxster S 1/4m........13.7s @ 102 mph

The high gear time acceleration figures are also in the M3's favour. So that's the outgoing M3 beating a new Boxster S. That said, they're different cars for different people - but I just wanted to state the facts... tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

and the Boxster S is quicker than an M3... grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it bollocks! yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew you'd bite! jump.gif

So it's a few tenths slower on paper - an M3 wouldn't see which way it went on the road. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words.

They're not Hey-ho. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hi all TSN,ers

Fistly new to the site and would like to say what a great place it is.

I am looking to get a new car circa 25 to 35K and would appreciate your informed comments on my current shortlist:

VW Golf GTI

VW Golf R32

BMW 330i

Porsche Boxter

Main requirements are:

(1) Driving enjoyment mainly on the road, but down the line also looking to do some track days.

(2) A certain degree of practicality as it will be my only car.

(3) Good looks, though as always beauty is in the eye of the beholder (eg, BMW 1 Series).

(4) Reliability, boring I know but no car is enjoyable if it is stuck at the stealers.

Looking forward to your comments and also any interesting alternatives you could come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi LB, given your listed cars and your criteria, there would only be one winner for me....that would be the 330i. I had an extended test drive in very nice example prior to getting my S4 and I was very impressed. 169144-ok.gif Good hunting beerchug.gif

Thanks for the replies, Just been round a local stealers to take a look at them in the flesh.

Initial thoughts.

Golf GTI - Love the look especially interlargos cloth takes me back to my old MK2, also gives plenty of cash to look at remapping engine, fitting trick suspension + some top notch brakes which and I stand to be corrected on this would give similar if not better performance than R32. DSG sounds very interesting from reading opinions on GTi board.

Golf R32 - A little understated comparitively but does have a certain elegance (apart from fake aluminium trim ) & is 4 wheel drive so no problems handling power.

BMW 330i - Looks a litle boring but nice enough V6 engine supposed to be a peach. Will have to drive one to see if it lights my fire. Also got a brochure on new coupe looks well. Am I right in assuming they will drive similar? as none available to test drive till Sept.

Porsche Boxter - Classy and surprisingly practical and spacious for 2 seat open top. Best image / feel good factor just sitting in it, but I would only be able to stretch to basic spec leather & a few other toys.

Other cars looked at were Honda S2000 which I was suprised how much I liked it in the flesh probably not practical enough and dont know if I would get on with high revving VTEC but definately worth a test drive.

Also called in Audi dealer Re new S3 wont be available until September so wouldnt be able to test drive frown.gif also dont know if this is common knowledge it is comes with a tuned up 2.0T engine as Golf GTi thought it would come with uprated V6 form R32. confused.gif

With regards to M3 would idealy like new car something about being able to spec car exactly to my liking and knowledge that it is my baby from new. Wouldnt rule it out though. Possible downside might be running costs as I will probalbly end up doing 20K+ miles/year dependindent on work commitments.

Going to have to organise a few test drives in a few weeks when I get my licence back from Swansea in a few weeks time.

Why do you think an M3 will be much more than an R32. I bet they are not. From what I heard the M3 does better mpg, and VW charge the earth too. Buy a £500 extended warrenty and that should cover it...

I agree the new R32 is a bit bland. Another option, the previous RS4?

Still as I said what about the 335?

beerchug.gif

Chris,

I think you'll find that Fatcat will disagree with you over the Boxster S v M3. He reckons that his Boxster is far better than the M3 he had, especially on track days. Performance figures don't really take account of handling.

No offence to anyone who loves oil burners but I have had 15 years of driving diesels and although the new TDi's are a vast improvement and generaly good to drive with lots and lots of those tourque thingy's kicking about. I need to feel some petrol running through my vains.

Call it stupid... Call it mid life crisis but I have decided I am going to let my heart rule my head for once.

Though as ever my timing is perfect with fuel heading for £1+ a litre mad.gif

Agree S4 avant nice car but ruled out for 2 reasons.

1. From what ive read handling is not up there with 3 series.

2. Would like a change from A4.

One proviso saw an RS4 in Audi dealership one word WOW... heart.gif

Anybody got a spare 15k they dont need for a few years wink.gif