Convertibles with Hard Top's on in May!

NewNiceMrMe

Today I've seen 4 x Mazda MX5's, a Boxster S and two MGF's.

I've also seen a BMW 330Ci Convertible.

Out of all those cars....only 2 had the hoods down - and they were both the MGF's. It's bright, sunny and relatively warm in Edinburgh today, so quite what is stopping the remainder of the owners dropping the hood's I'm not sure.

However, my major puzzlement comes from the fact that 2 of MX-5's, the Boxster S and the 330Ci Convertible...had their hard tops on!!!!!

Why! In May!! Surely they'll have them off ready for ever opportunist moment of sunshine around the corner by now?

I mean, I ask myself, just why even bother buying a sodding convertible!!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I helped my Dad take the hard top off his MGF last weekend, but then his back and the fact that my Mum's arm is in a sling probably counts as mitigating circumstances. When I had my MX5 it was parked ouside in London's Docklands(and not the flash end) for four years without a hardtop - it never leaked and wasn't touched by anyone. If I was to buyanother convertible I wouldn't bother with the expense and inconvenience of a hardtop.

[ QUOTE ]

I mean, I ask myself, just why even bother buying a sodding convertible!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Scorching hot today. But seen quite a few with the roof up.

WTF!! smashfreakB.gif

And then these same people ask me why I'm so tanned in the pub. iamwithstupid.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you don't want your hair messed up if you are going somewhere important. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Women! slap.gif

Interestingly, I keep a couple of hair bobbles/scrunchies in the glove compartment for the girls and G/F. 169144-ok.gif

...and have 2 spare sets of sunglasses in there too! grin.gif

The hardtop came as standard with my 911 (996). If I were ever to buy a 997, where it is not standard, I wouldn't bother with the hardtop. It just sits in the garage and wastes space. You don't need it in winter, so what's the point?

Anyone driving a convertible in May with the hardtop on who is medically able to take it off should be prosecuted. There's got to be some offence being committed - maybe they look suspicious enough to fall under terrorist legislation or something. Anyway, the punishment is to forfeit the car and be forced to buy a coupe instead.

[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you don't want your hair messed up if you are going somewhere important. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember once looking back at my daughter in the back seat. She has (very) long blonde hair; one the day in question she looked like Chewbacca!

We asked if she wanted us to put the roof back up. The mass of hair in the back just nodded. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember once looking back at my daughter in the back seat. She has (very) long blonde hair; one the day in question she looked like Chewbacca!

We asked if she wanted us to put the roof back up. The mass of hair in the back just nodded. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The other day I drove back from Southampton with the roof down on the MX-5 - no wind deflector, spirited little zoom up the A34 and M40. I went to Sainsburys to get some tea and looked in a mirror - remember Bridget Jones after her topless blast in Hugh Grant's car?!! Well, she looked tidy in comparison! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Women! slap.gif

Interestingly, I keep a couple of hair bobbles/scrunchies in the glove compartment for the girls and G/F. 169144-ok.gif

...and have 2 spare sets of sunglasses in there too! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My Mazda had two seats- and three baseball caps in the glovebox. Apparently she needed them to match what she was wearing...

It confused a few of my passengers when they went in there for one though! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed a soft top boxter with the roof up today, and it was a woman driving, so you may have hit the nail on the head there.

Begs the question though, my did they buy a convertible if during the two-three weeks of sun we actually get in this country, they leave the roofs up!

I've thought about this 'hair' thing for a while.

I don't buy it as a reasonable argument.

See, in most modern convertibles if you put the front windows up you get just a small amount of buffeting. Then, if you've got a wind deflector, the buffeting is reduced to almost zero.

Okay so it might not be advisable to do 70mph, but even then it's not really that windy! Crosswinds in open areas might catch you ladies and ruffle a hair or two, but it's not going to fundamentally change the way it looks or turn you into Worzel Gummidge in an instant, is it?

You're wimps, that's what you are, wimps!

[ QUOTE ]

I've thought about this 'hair' thing for a while.

I don't buy it as a reasonable argument.

See, in most modern convertibles if you put the front windows up you get just a small amount of buffeting. Then, if you've got a wind deflector, the buffeting is reduced to almost zero.

Okay so it might not be advisable to do 70mph, but even then it's not really that windy! Crosswinds in open areas might catch you ladies and ruffle a hair or two, but it's not going to fundamentally change the way it looks or turn you into Worzel Gummidge in an instant, is it?

You're wimps, that's what you are, wimps!

[/ QUOTE ]

MX-5 - windows up and a fury of wind blasting takes place - windows down helps it slightly which is opposite to other cars. Believe me there is ample scope to look like Chewbacca after about two minutes doing anything above 35mph. grin.gif I drive past people in BMWs and Volvo convertibles with roof down and windows up and wind deflector in place and they are all sedate and tidy looking - I look like mad demented wind blasted hairball! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had long hair I had to always wear a hat if I wanted to go over about 50mph, otherwise it would pull it out of its ponytail and blow across my face, effectively blinding me blush.gif

And thats why I have 2 caps stored in the little net behind my seats,